4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how often do you need to get an alignment>?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 PM

On a 97
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

i'd say once a year...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 PM

cool because I have bad tires and its been awile since I got one

Thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

depends on where u live.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Or whether you have done any suspension work, as a general rule of thumb if you change any of the suspension parts .ie struts/springs - control arms - lower ball joints - end links you should followup with an alignment.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Or whether you have done any suspension work, as a general rule of thumb if you change any of the suspension parts .ie struts/springs - control arms - lower ball joints - end links you should followup with an alignment.
The sway bar end links is stretching it, they don't affect alignment in the least. Depending on how you do the LBJ, same way; you won't affect the alignment.

If you begin to suspect your alignment is out, then have it checked; Firestone at the least will do it for free, as I'm sure most other places will as well. When I was at Sears, there was no alignment 'check', per se, but if you brought your car in for an alignment and it was all (everything adjustable, anyway) in the green, there was no charge.

As said when you change most steering/suspension components, have it checked. If you hit a curb, a major pothole, your steering is off center, your car pulls, have it checked.

FWIW Firestone has a lifetime alignment service, no charge for an alignment (if it's out) for as long as you own your vehicle. $160ish, IIRC. Well worth it if you work on your car often. Eventually I plan on getting around to getting one.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
FWIW Firestone has a lifetime alignment service, no charge for an alignment (if it's out) for as long as you own your vehicle. $160ish, IIRC. Well worth it if you work on your car often. Eventually I plan on getting around to getting one.
I've got lifetimes at Firestone. So far I've gotten 9 since March. Purchased it when I set out to fix my bump steer problems & began upgrading the suspension & steering. Most recently was for a new rack install; got it done at a shop & got the alignment 2 days later....that alignment made a helluva difference, but then again a new rack was put in.

One thing I've learned is that not all of my alignments are consistent-as in, though the rear toe isn't adjustable, sometimes one rear wheel could be out of spec and I'll go to another branch a week later and next thing you know it is in-spec.

But the Firestone lifetime alignment service has more than paid for itself-it was just the cost of 2 separate alignments.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
depends on where u live.

im in BOSTON so every other week or so,, LOL
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM

It also depends on your diving habits, so.. do you like nudging the curb? After any suspension/steering work you're gonna want your alignment at least checked. Also if you just got the car a little bit ago, check your alignment and see if any steering/susp. parts are loose. But like said before, if you don't do curb-checks everyday, once a year is good
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM

You guys are a suspension mechanic's dream!
I had an alignment done on my Altima at 102,000 miles.
That is the first time I have had to get an alignment in about 25 years.

My 2 4th gen Max's have not needed any, and tires are wearing just right at 95,000 miles on one and 165,000 miles on the other. But I haven't been installing struts or hitting curbs...yet.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM

If the car drives straight and the tires aren't wearing, I leave it alone. But I always get an alignment when I buy new tires, so I guess that makes it somewhere between 50 to 60K miles.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the car drives straight and the tires aren't wearing, I leave it alone. But I always get an alignment when I buy new tires, so I guess that makes it somewhere between 50 to 60K miles.

+1

If u gettin new tires then the service shd come with a alignment for free
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by cashoit
+1

If u gettin new tires then the service shd come with a alignment for free
LMAO!!! never seen an a tire sale come with a free alignment. They always try to sell an alignment, but rarely is it needed.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM

I have my alignment checked every 3000 miles as well as the oil change and tire rotation.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 808s96SE
I have my alignment checked every 3000 miles as well as the oil change and tire rotation.
Your dad a mechanic, or you have a buddy who does it for free?

That's pretty extreme for a 12 year old car...
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Your dad a mechanic, or you have a buddy who does it for free?

That's pretty extreme for a 12 year old car...
Dad..uhh..no. I'm 34 and work for a dealership and do it myself since i have access to whatever i need really. With as bad as the California roads are, I like to be sure everything is tracking right. But the main reason I have it checked is for the tire warranty will be in tact just in case. Honestly, it doesn't take that long to put the heads on the wheels and check to see if it out of spec.

P.S. Companies like Wheel Works do free alignment checks.

Last edited by 808s96SE; 01-19-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 AM

i just had my alignment done and was told both my front cv joints are completely torn. Ive had the car for about 6 months and never heard a pop. and he quoted me 400-500 for both. and my car still pulls to the right after the alignment was done. i hate letting other people touch my car
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DIAMONDS98SE
i just had my alignment done and was told both my front cv joints are completely torn. Ive had the car for about 6 months and never heard a pop. and he quoted me 400-500 for both. and my car still pulls to the right after the alignment was done. i hate letting other people touch my car
Why is that? Because he told you the boots are torn or because it still pulls after the alignment? If the former, just take a look under & verify. If the latter, eh, alignments never made my car go truly straight, nor is an out-of-spec toe the only thing that'll make your car pull.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
Why is that? Because he told you the boots are torn or because it still pulls after the alignment? If the former, just take a look under & verify. If the latter, eh, alignments never made my car go truly straight, nor is an out-of-spec toe the only thing that'll make your car pull.
Thanks. I feel better now. I can see the torn boots too. Just seems weird that ive never heard any popping or anything.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
car can drive just fine, no pulls, but STILL be out of alignment- replaced both control arms awhile ago, decided not to have an alignment and 10K miles later front pass wheel was gone with the worn inner edge of tire.
Funny part is that like I said car drove just fine "holding" the road and inner edge of tire is not readily visible. If in doubt, I would recommend jacking up a car and check each tire condition from edge to edge.
Also, do not rotate tires too often, since rotation can give you false impression about tire condition and alignment because tire wear compensates so to speak. Every 10K should do.
Ideally, alignment is done with BRAND NEW tires.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DIAMONDS98SE
Thanks. I feel better now. I can see the torn boots too. Just seems weird that ive never heard any popping or anything.
Torn boots don't necessarily mean the joints are bad. But the whole purpose of those boots are to keep dirt out & ensure the joints stay greased. That grease dries out or contaminants get in, then the joint will show signs.

For example, I just got a new steering rack put in. 2 weeks later, the boots are torn & twisted. I would be a fool to not replace those boots asap.

PS: Don't get an alignment (um no, just...) Make sure to grease the tie-rod/boot connection before getting an alignment if you installed a new steering rack with alignment really far off...the tech probably won't notice (or care) that he's twisting the boots (if they're not lubed sufficiently), and they then end up like this:

and then you have to cut the boot out, revealing how truly twisted they were...

Last edited by ridinwitha35; 01-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
No more Maximas...

PS: Don't get an alignment after getting a new steering rack with alignment really far off...the tech probably won't notice (or care) that he's twisting the boots, and they then end up like this:
So you propose, then, to just not get an alignment?

Solution; when you install the new rack, lubricate where the bellows contacts the inner, and no more binding.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
So you propose, then, to just not get an alignment?

Solution; when you install the new rack, lubricate where the bellows contacts the inner, and no more binding.
Just being sarcastic...I'll edit.

And yup, some grease on the tie rod eased that right up. Of course now my alignment is out...scared to get one now!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM

yeah however often its necisary
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM

i need one asap. and 2 front tires..
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM

I've got lifetimes at Firestone. So far I've gotten 9 since March. Purchased it when I set out to fix my bump steer problems & began upgrading the suspension & steering. Most recently was for a new rack install; got it done at a shop & got the alignment 2 days later....that alignment made a helluva difference, but then again a new rack was put in.

One thing I've learned is that not all of my alignments are consistent-as in, though the rear toe isn't adjustable, sometimes one rear wheel could be out of spec and I'll go to another branch a week later and next thing you know it is in-spec.

But the Firestone lifetime alignment service has more than paid for itself-it was just the cost of 2 separate alignments.
how much is the firestone lifetime alignment? i told someone that SOMEBODY did the lifetime alignment and thought i was full of it. is this all firestone locations?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by phatboislim
how much is the firestone lifetime alignment? i told someone that SOMEBODY did the lifetime alignment and thought i was full of it. is this all firestone locations?
I can't speak for all stores, but at mine it's $149.99 for the LTA.

Yes, all Firestone locations.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM

dope. thanks, thats 3 alignments down here..but especially if i get coilovers...its worth it. is there a limit you can get per year
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by phatboislim
dope. thanks, thats 3 alignments down here..but especially if i get coilovers...its worth it. is there a limit you can get per year
Not really, no. Chances are you'll eventually be turned away and refunded the entire price if you come for a recheck every single day for a period of time, but under 'normal' usage no limits at all.

Most people that spring for an LTA also get lifetime rotate/balance packages as well, and come in every few months for a rotate/balance/alignment (all free).

It's also nice to have if you ever happen to hit a curb, or slam a serious pothole, replace any of your steering/suspension components, etc.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM

yea i agree...stuff like that pays for itself after a while.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM

When I purchased LTAs, a regular alignment was 80 bucks. The LTA cost was 160 bucks.

Prior to purchasing, I questioned the tech/rep on what the limitations were (as I was beginning to start the never ending journey of trying to fix my bump steer problems). Since then I've went in ten times, however, across 5 different branches (they're pretty common around here). I was turned away one time because my strut mount bearing was shot, so that makes 9 separate alignments.

OTOH, it's debatable on whether or not the alignments are truly performed. In one example, I got an alignment which indicated my rear left wheel's toe was out. Short time later, with no changes to anything, it's now in-spec. The same goes in other instances, I'd get an alignment and a week later something's out of spec.

So even though it's lifetime, it's still at the discretion of the branch on whether they do it right or not.

(I've done: struts, strut mounts & bearings x2, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, steering rack, control arms). So the LTA has more than paid for itself. I figure this car needs an alignment more often than oil changes.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM

that makes sense as well...sometimes companies dont always give you what you pay for.