4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

talk about diamond in the rough! my find on ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 PM

talk about diamond in the rough! my find on ebay...

UPDATE BELOW!
a (megan?) test pipe for $30 shipped!

summarized version:
my brother has a 2002 maxima (5.5 gen).
i bought him a brandless eBay test pipe for xmas.
it was $50.90 shipped.
what arrived was a genuine Megan test pipe.
it came with a megan sticker and warranty card.
also included were 4 new bolts, 4 new nuts, and a new b-pipe flange.
i got giddy and bought one for myself.
mine was priced at $30 shipped.

update:
my test pipe arrived with no sticker, no warranty card. however, i did receive the same bolts, nuts, and flange that shipped with the megan. the pipe itself looks identical, inside and out. it came in a different type of box, and was actually packed better than the megan. is IS possible that they sent me a megan pipe, just without the sticker or warranty card, and the price cut was due to not being warrantied. to ultimately prove or disprove my theory that this company is for sure selling megan pipes considerably cheaper, we will have to wait till x-mas, as my brother's test pipe is currently wrapped at my gf's house. when i get a chance, i will post pics of the 2, side by side, for comparison.

and just for S&G's, i'll post a vid sometime after that for before/after sound clips.

i will throw up some pics of mine sometime tomorrow. (technically, later today lol)

lots of people asking if these are emissions compliant. read on.
if you have to pass emissions inspection, chances are they check your emissions using your OBDII. that is, no "sniffer" test. the kicker is, your test pipe has to LOOK like a cat. i've heard of people welding a heat shield on or near the test pipe, so it looks like a cat. that's how they handle things here in TN anyway...i recommend checking first.

if you choose to have a test pipe, and want to be sure you can pass emissions (or found out they still do the sniffer), these test pipes are a bolt-on replacement. simply keep your cat when you remove it, and bolt the bish up 100 miles before your inspection (sound ridiculous, but trust me on this one)

EDIT: the difference in a test pipe and a high-flow cat; pretty much boils down to appearance. a high-flow cat passes visual inspection, but inside is virtually the same as a test pipe. another difference (i think) is that you can get either a straight test pipe or a resonated test pipe. whether or not you can get a resonated high-flow cat is something i don't know, but i prefer resonated. (have you ever heard a car with a deleted b-pipe resonator? YUCK!)

Last edited by tyler5619; 12-18-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM

dude awesome find..i have a quick question though. would i be able to pass inspection in nj with this high flow cat?

99 se cali spec
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by eFLO
dude awesome find..i have a quick question though. would i be able to pass inspection in nj with this high flow cat?

99 se cali spec
hell no. im in pa and that pos will never pass over here. thats almost a straight pipe.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I need a truck

If you remove the cat, chance are you will not pass anywhere they test for emissions.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 AM

So a Megan racing CAT is a really good one?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by Aburn95
So a Megan racing CAT is a really good one?
OP thought he was getting a generic ebay test pipe. Turns out he got a Megan which costs a lot more than $30.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM

99 se cali spec
how do you have a cali spec in NJ, lol. unlucky you.
if NJ is anything like TN, they test for emissions via your OBD (that is, no "sniffer" test), and the test pipe will clear inspection if it "LOOKS" like there is a cat there. basically, find a way to make your test pipe look like a cat and you're good. i've heard of people welding heat shields onto or near the test pipe.

Originally Posted by Conrad283
If you remove the cat, chance are you will not pass anywhere they test for emissions.
see above, sir.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
hell no. im in pa and that pos will never pass over here. thats almost a straight pipe.
actually, it's basically a resonator. i'm quite sure its the same material as the resonator found on a megan catback, only much shorter.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM

OP edited to answer all of your questions
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by tyler5619
how do you have a cali spec in NJ, lol. unlucky you.
if NJ is anything like TN, they test for emissions via your OBD (that is, no "sniffer" test), and the test pipe will clear inspection if it "LOOKS" like there is a cat there. basically, find a way to make your test pipe look like a cat and you're good. i've heard of people welding heat shields onto or near the test pipe.
yeah damn cali spec..anyways i could prob just unbolt before inspection and what not. let us know if it turns out to be the megan pipe though!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM

yeah damn cali spec..anyways i could prob just unbolt before inspection and what not. let us know if it turns out to be the megan pipe though!
yeah, that's something i added to the OP. the test pipe is a bolt-on replacement, just leave 100 miles or so between putting the cat back on and testing.

will do, sir.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

nice lol
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM

On the '96 maximas the O2 sensors come right off the cat. Is there a location on this cat for the O2 sensor? If anyone has purchased one, does it cause the check engine light to come on?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM

^^ i doubt there is a spot for the o2. you would have to zip tie it to the frame or something, most likely with a CEL. hopefully others will chime in with a better answer...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 AM

not likely, same in nj as pa. it wont pass with that.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 AM

High flow Cats are never worth the CEL trouble or the ugly noise. Plus the ones the OP is referring too doesnt have any place to mount the 02 sensor. I called the manufacturer cuz originally i thought it would be cool to get one. But its not worth the hassle IMO.

You are gonna to hafta disable that 02 sensor by pluggin it up or something. I forget how its done. Autozone has this part that u need for the 02 sensor with no cat. Or the exhaust shop can do it for a lil more cash. Its a PITA.

If you really looking for improvement jus save up and get the Stainless Steel catback exhaust. Sounds awesome and no CEL / 02 sensors issues

Last edited by cashoit; 12-14-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by creammotors
On the '96 maximas the O2 sensors come right off the cat. Is there a location on this cat for the O2 sensor? If anyone has purchased one, does it cause the check engine light to come on?
thats kinda odd...not surprising though.
on my 97 the rear o2 is behind the cat.
maybe they can drill a hole into it and add a screw that has the same thread pattern as your o2 sensor.

it's been done on my 3rd gen.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
High flow Cats are never worth the CEL trouble or the ugly noise. Plus the ones the OP is referring too doesnt have any place to mount the 02 sensor. I called the manufacturer cuz originally i thought it would be cool to get one. But its not worth the hassle IMO.

You are gonna to hafta disable that 02 sensor by pluggin it up or something. I forget how its done. Autozone has this part that u need for the 02 sensor with no cat. Or the exhaust shop can do it for a lil more cash. Its a PITA.

If you really looking for improvement jus save up and get the Stainless Steel catback exhaust. Sounds awesome and no CEL / 02 sensors issues
its a resonated test pipe, not a crappy high flow cat, I got one because my cat was rusted to crap and I bought a cat back and didn't feel like drilling out the bolts, and you'd only have to disable an o2 sensor in 95/96 because the 97-99 have them behind the cat.. an no, if your really looking for an improvement buy a y pipe

edit: also the one I received was not megan, but good quality, not what you'd expect for so cheap, I think mine was 20shipped

Last edited by cfiggs; 12-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cfiggs
its a resonated test pipe, not a crappy high flow cat, I got one because my cat was rusted to crap and I bought a cat back and didn't feel like drilling out the bolts, and you'd only have to disable an o2 sensor in 95/96 because the 97-99 have them behind the cat.. an no, if your really looking for an improvement buy a y pipe

edit: also the one I received was not megan, but good quality, not what you'd expect for so cheap, I think mine was 20shipped

You got the y-Pipe? that may be the best mod...any CEL issues??

Last edited by cashoit; 12-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM

I bet you guys wish it was like Oklahoma everywhere...lol. No inspections on anything...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM

yeah Mass sucks. Everything requires a form and moulah
Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 PM

You got the y-Pipe? that may be the best mod...any CEL issues??
I have a cattman y pipe FTW, but no cel
Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM

^^^ pfft, you threw your money away. no offense to mr. catts, but warpspeed provided me with a much cheaper, mostly identical y-pipe. if i were to get anything from cattman, it would be equal length headers, but i have no idea why i would want those. again, no offense.

to clear up any confusion, i don't consider a test pipe as a performance mod. i'm only getting one to see if i like it. if i don't, i can always sell it...and if it's a megan, quite possibly for more than i paid for it lol. but the factory cat provides a good source of back pressure, which for most of us is the ONLY source, seeing as everyone i know gets catbacks and headers/y-pipes. your car needs at least a little bit of back pressure, unless you're boosted. but for us n/a kids... y-pipe is the first mod any member on here should do. and yes, that's before rims, lips, silverstars...ANYTHING. you actually should call dallas @ warpspeed on the way home from the used car lot with the max. lol, anyway...

i'm expecting the test pipe friday. for you 95-96ers, i will see if there is room to weld in an o2 bung. i expect there will be, but you never know.

Last edited by tyler5619; 12-15-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Wow cool story bro
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM

^^^ pfft, you threw your money away. no offense to mr. catts, but warpspeed provided me with a much cheaper, mostly identical y-pipe. if i were to get anything from cattman, it would be equal length headers, but i have no idea why i would want those. again, no offense.

to clear up any confusion, i don't consider a test pipe as a performance mod. i'm only getting one to see if i like it. if i don't, i can always sell it...and if it's a megan, quite possibly for more than i paid for it lol. but the factory cat provides a good source of back pressure, which for most of us is the ONLY source, seeing as everyone i know gets catbacks and headers/y-pipes. your car needs at least a little bit of back pressure, unless you're boosted. but for us n/a kids... y-pipe is the first mod any member on here should do. and yes, that's before rims, lips, silverstars...ANYTHING. you actually should call dallas @ warpspeed on the way home from the used car lot with the max. lol, anyway...

i'm expecting the test pipe friday. for you 95-96ers, i will see if there is room to weld in an o2 bung. i expect there will be, but you never know.
backpressure? you don't need backpressure. Backpressure is always bad. The issue is that if your exhaust is too wide, the exhaust gases cool and slow down before making it out the tailpipe. It's exhaust gas velocity, not backpressure, that you need. If the exhaust gas is moving fast, it sucks the air out of the cylinder after combustion, giving you more power. So you need to have the right amount. If adding a more restrictive piece to the exhaust improves performance, it's because it acts as a nozzle and speeds up the velocity of the exhaust gas going through it. It's not because our cars "need a good source of backpressure" to run well.

And don't even get me started on Silverstars...
Philips Vision Plus 9004 or GE Nighthawk 9004. Or retrofit. Sylvania Silverstars are garbage.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by nalc
backpressure? you don't need backpressure. Backpressure is always bad. The issue is that if your exhaust is too wide, the exhaust gases cool and slow down before making it out the tailpipe. It's exhaust gas velocity, not backpressure, that you need. If the exhaust gas is moving fast, it sucks the air out of the cylinder after combustion, giving you more power. So you need to have the right amount. If adding a more restrictive piece to the exhaust improves performance, it's because it acts as a nozzle and speeds up the velocity of the exhaust gas going through it. It's not because our cars "need a good source of backpressure" to run well.

Philips Vision Plus 9004 or GE Nighthawk 9004. Or retrofit. Sylvania Silverstars are garbage.

Gotta disagree...On the high end u def dont want any backpressure. U want all that exhuast gas to be expelled as easily and quickly as possible. BUT on the low side...u want backpressure so your car will respond better to WOT demands from a standstill.

I think the problem is...to find the BEST combination of intake and exhaust mods to maximize performance.

I recently bought a stock 1997 maxi 5spd. Im putting a racing bullet muffler on it to get rid of the restrictive OEM muffler. Ima see how it responds after that. I think for the intake ...ima buy a short ram intake BUT im not gonna use the cone filter. Im goin to remove the intake resonator and replace with short ram pipe. I think it will give me more noise and the same performance of the stock intake. Whether ppl admit of not...the stock intake for these cars are quite good....jus too quiet for my tastes lol
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM

what about polluting the enviroment man...gotta save the ozone layer lol

Isnt the warpspeed a y-pipe jus bigger diameter pipe

Last edited by cashoit; 12-17-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Gotta disagree...On the high end u def dont want any backpressure. U want all that exhuast gas to be expelled as easily and quickly as possible. BUT on the low side...u want backpressure so your car will respond better to WOT demands from a standstill.

I think the problem is...to find the BEST combination of intake and exhaust mods to maximize performance.

I recently bought a stock 1997 maxi 5spd. Im putting a racing bullet muffler on it to get rid of the restrictive OEM muffler. Ima see how it responds after that. I think for the intake ...ima buy a short ram intake BUT im not gonna use the cone filter. Im goin to remove the intake resonator and replace with short ram pipe. I think it will give me more noise and the same performance of the stock intake. Whether ppl admit of not...the stock intake for these cars are quite good....jus too quiet for my tastes lol
No. You don't want backpressure. You want a properly sized exhaust that will give the highest possible exhaust gas velocity. Since the sheer volume of air depends on the engine RPM (the motor moves twice as much air at 3000rpm as it does at 1500rpm), the optimal size of exhaust system varies based on RPM. At low RPMs, a narrower tube is better, because it gives you the highest exhaust gas velocity. A big tube at low RPMs = the exhaust isn't restricted, but it cools and stagnates and has a poor velocity, which doesn't remove exhaust as efficiently from the combustion changer. At high RPMs, a wider tube is better, because there is more exhaust gas, and it needs to flow more. A narrow tube at high RPMs = the exhaust system is just too restrictive, even though the velocity is fine.

So, if you have a high performance exhaust optimized for high RPMs, at low RPMs it won't work as well because there isn't enough exhaust gas volume to be able to get a high exhaust velocity, it just slows down because of how wide the pipes are. It has nothing to do with backpressure. Backpressure is just some ricer myth. You never want backpressure in your exhaust, you want the diameter piping that allows the highest exhaust gas velocity and the lowest backpressure, which is usually not the biggest piping available.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM

No. You don't want backpressure. You want a properly sized exhaust that will give the highest possible exhaust gas velocity. Since the sheer volume of air depends on the engine RPM (the motor moves twice as much air at 3000rpm as it does at 1500rpm), the optimal size of exhaust system varies based on RPM. At low RPMs, a narrower tube is better, because it gives you the highest exhaust gas velocity. A big tube at low RPMs = the exhaust isn't restricted, but it cools and stagnates and has a poor velocity, which doesn't remove exhaust as efficiently from the combustion changer. At high RPMs, a wider tube is better, because there is more exhaust gas, and it needs to flow more. A narrow tube at high RPMs = the exhaust system is just too restrictive, even though the velocity is fine.

So, if you have a high performance exhaust optimized for high RPMs, at low RPMs it won't work as well because there isn't enough exhaust gas volume to be able to get a high exhaust velocity, it just slows down because of how wide the pipes are. It has nothing to do with backpressure. Backpressure is just some ricer myth. You never want backpressure in your exhaust, you want the diameter piping that allows the highest exhaust gas velocity and the lowest backpressure, which is usually not the biggest piping available.
QFT - skool those exhaust n00bs.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 PM

...racing bullet muffler...to get rid of the restrictive OEM muffler...for the intake...remove the intake resonator and replace with short ram pipe...the stock intake for these cars are quite good...
first of all, with aftermarket exhaust, the closer you get to the tailpipe, the less you're doing for performance, and the more you're doing for just sound. (nalc will prolly trump me on that)

second, you have your "ideal" short ram idea backwards. the stock mid pipe is IMO better than the "short ram pipe" (sic) that you're referring to. if you want sound while having stock, go with a drop-in K&N filter. personally, my intake is stock, save for the HTP MAF adapter and AMSoil cone filter, with the snorkel intact. i'm very impressed with this setup, especially with the snorkel feeding outside air (which is currently very cold ) into not only the filter, but the engine bay itself. very nice.

you're right, the stock intake is IMO as good as they probably should have made it. still not good enough for most of us, but still pretty decent.

Isnt the warpspeed a y-pipe jus bigger diameter pipe
google is your friend, my son.

Originally Posted by aackshun
QFT - skool those n00bs.
....i'm not a n00b...

Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM

first of all, with aftermarket exhaust, the closer you get to the tailpipe, the less you're doing for performance, and the more you're doing for just sound. (nalc will prolly trump me on that)
Yup. The idea is to have a high velocity flow immediately after the exhaust valves, because that will create some low pressure to help suck the exhaust out of the combustion chamber, which is called "scavenging". That's why heat wrapping headers is good, because it keeps the exhaust hot and fast. That's also why things like equal length headers and y-pipes and x-pipes improve performance, because the timing of the cylinders means that each cylinder can help the other cylinders scavenge better as well. Any restrictions like pre-cats here will just screw up the scavenging and exhaust gas velocity. Without a doubt, the headers and the pipe connecting them is where you make power. The rest of the exhaust is less important, so long as it's not too narrow for excessive backpressure, and not too wide for stagnation. That's why a VQ35 with headers runs the quarter mile a full second faster than a VQ35 with stock manifolds and pre-cats, yet going to an aftermarket catback does not have nearly as large gains.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Question. If a "high-flow" cat is nearly the same as a straight pipe, why not just run a straight pipe with a resonator if you don't need to pass emissions?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

^where do you get your information, lol

or were you just trying to add to your post count?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM

....i'm not a n00b...
Post edited
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM

^where do you get your information, lol

or were you just trying to add to your post count?

Haha, I am adding to my post count, but I thought there was a valid point there. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, so let me know if this is off-base.

The fundamental benefits of a high-flow cat over a stock cat is that it is less restrictive, but still provides the essential "scrubbing" duties of a cat, correct?

And if your primary goal is to increase exhaust flow, and smog regs aren't a concern, why not just omit the cat altogether? I personally wouldn't ever run an exhaust without a cat, but in theory you'd have gains. Lots of guys obviously do this, just consult Google.

As for the resonator with straight pipe setup, it's something I've seen done and it can sound pretty great. (I have a good friend who runs it on a 'Vette and have seen it on some BMWs as well.) I think this is mostly an acoustic preference, since the resonator sans muffler can have a deeper growl.

Last edited by Dogg; 12-17-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Dogg
Haha, I am adding to my post count, but I thought there was a valid point there. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, so let me know if this is off-base.

The fundamental benefits of a high-flow cat over a stock cat is that it is less restrictive, but still provides the essential "scrubbing" duties of a cat, correct?

And if your primary goal is to increase exhaust flow, and smog regs aren't a concern, why not just omit the cat altogether? I personally wouldn't ever run an exhaust without a cat, but in theory you'd have gains. Lots of guys obviously do this, just consult Google.

As for the resonator with straight pipe setup, it's something I've seen done and it can sound pretty great. (I have a good friend who runs it on a 'Vette and have seen it on some BMWs as well.) I think this is mostly an acoustic preference, since the resonator sans muffler can have a deeper growl.
removing a catalytic converter from a car is a FEDERAL offense with fines and jail time associated with it.
The "high flow" cats are just a legal way around it. that is in places outside of the people's republic of CA
Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 AM

Both of my cars are running sans cats, and I happen to be running this exact test pipe on my '97 Maxima.

I am running a Cattman Y-Pipe and Catback exhaust, and installed this test pipe in the middle of a dyno session. While it makes a lot bigger difference in my car because I'm also running a Vortech V1, without tuning, the test pipe alone was worth 15 whp. That's not a trivial amount.

YMMV.

(EDIT: On my NSX, which is also supercharged, the test pipes were good for 20 whp. My point is, is you are running a high powered setup where exhaust restriction does indeed become an issue, deleting the cats can net a whole lot of power for not much money)
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM

second, you have your "ideal" short ram idea backwards. the stock mid pipe is IMO better than the "short ram pipe" (sic) that you're referring to. if you want sound while having stock, go with a drop-in K&N filter. personally, my intake is stock, save for the HTP MAF adapter and AMSoil cone filter, with the snorkel intact. i'm very impressed with this setup, especially with the snorkel feeding outside air (which is currently very cold ) into not only the filter, but the engine bay itself. very nice.

you're right, the stock intake is IMO as good as they probably should have made it. still not good enough for most of us, but still pretty decent.

google is your friend, my son.

....i'm not a n00b...

I had a similar setup as yurs where i was using the short ram and the snorkel. The snorkel directed the incoming flow of cold air and definiely increased performance.

Dont u need backpressure to keep combustion process warm? Isnt that the function of EGR system.

Originally Posted by NousDefions
Both of my cars are running sans cats, and I happen to be running this exact test pipe on my '97 Maxima.

I am running a Cattman Y-Pipe and Catback exhaust, and installed this test pipe in the middle of a dyno session. While it makes a lot bigger difference in my car because I'm also running a Vortech V1, without tuning, the test pipe alone was worth 15 whp. That's not a trivial amount.

YMMV.

(EDIT: On my NSX, which is also supercharged, the test pipes were good for 20 whp. My point is, is you are running a high powered setup where exhaust restriction does indeed become an issue, deleting the cats can net a whole lot of power for not much money)
Nice setup. But in my state no cat is a crazy fine. no cat is = crazy loud too
Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM

Dont u need backpressure to keep combustion process warm? Isnt that the function of EGR system.
EGR is more of an emission reducing thing than a performance thing
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Nice setup. But in my state no cat is a crazy fine. no cat is = crazy loud too
Undoubtedly the NSX is loud, but that's more a function of the design of the exhaust and headers rather than the cats. Deleting the cats changed the pitch of the exhaust more than anything.

On the Maxima, the exhaust grew deeper without the cats, but not much louder at anything other than WOT. Even then, it isn't annoying.

Very few officers out there are going to get under the car and check for cats (at least in the four states I've lived), and I always put the cats back on before going in for an inspection. Putting the cat back on the Maxima is a 15 minute affair.

Quick Reply: talk about diamond in the rough! my find on ebay...