4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Side Glass/window?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Side Glass/window?

Okay did some preliminary searches but was unsuccessful...anyways someone broke into my car and smashed the passenger side rear..(idk what to call it)..side window...its the little glass window next to the actual glass that goes up and down...anyways someone smashed that so its either i take it to an autobody shop or do it myself...

the question is...is it hard to replace that? looking at it..it seems that it might be difficult to do...i really don't want to pay someone else to do it...someone can chime in on this? im sure im not the only one that got broken into..
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM

yo man, i found this on ebay cheap. i'd buy this and do it myself if that were my window. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM

I did that window on my car about 2 months ago. I don't have a write up but its pretty easy to do.

Roll down your window

Remove the door panel

I believe I unbolted the window from the window regulator in order to give some wiggle room. Its two bolts that you can see through a hole in the door when the window is rolled down with the panel and vapor shield removed.

I believe two bolts hold the quarter window in. There is one down on the main part of the door, and a small one hidden at the top behind the weather stripping.

Remove them and the broken window and trim will pull out.

Replace the old one the same way. Took me less than an hour and only simple screwdrivers and wrenches are required.

I picked up my window at a junkyard in philly for 35 bucks.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have that window for $30 shipped. PM if you want it.

Simple enough of a job to DIY just as pavelsmax wrote ^^^
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Do what pavelmax said but for a little advice i would pick up some silicone spray for lube. I know this sounds funny but it will help it go in easier.(Dont worry itll wipe away with glass cleaner NOT WINDEX if your glass is tinted) . Im not sure cause i havent done one of these in a while but i think when you install it the glass itself will have some sort of rubber trim around it. Lube the rubber and the door where the glass goes into. Sometime if you dont the rubber will be dry and get pinch (in a bind) and tear. Gl luck it isnt that hard trust me i do this kinda crap every day , lmaoo !
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
i have that window for $30 shipped. PM if you want it.

Simple enough of a job to DIY just as pavelsmax wrote ^^^

I would also buy this if i were you all glass companies have HUGE mark ups !
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 AM

I just replaces the small vent window on the back door of his 98 Altima. It was a bit tricky, but not very hard and I do believe it should be similar to the Maxima
Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM

Well just did the passenger side window this summer and woke up New Year's Day to find my driver's side rear vent window smashed. Luckily nothing was stolen.

Picked up a "new" one at the junkyard on my lunch break and I'll do a write up for it tonight when I install it.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM

Rear Vent Window How To

So your rear vent window was broken.

No big deal its an easy fix that can be repaired in about an hour. I've done this window on my maxima twice now and on a few jeep Cherokees as well. First pick up a new window from a junkyard or someone parting out in the classified section. I paid $30 and $50 the two times I've done this job.

Tools needed.
Phillips screwdriver
Trim remover or Standard screwdriver (for prying door panel off)
Socket wrench
10 mm socket
extension

If the window was broken but hasn't shattered all over the inside of the car and the street I suggest taping both sides of the cracked window with duct tape. This will prevent all the pieces from falling into the car creating more of a cleanup. This occasion for me however the window was completely shattered.

Roll the window down.

Pop out the window switch. Pry from the rear of the switch. Pop out the cup inside of the door handle and lock. Remove the door pull cup by removing the cap in the bottom of the cup and unscrewing the phillips screw. Pop the door panel off and lift it up and out as the top sits inside the door itself.

Unfasten the window from the regulator to give some wiggle room. You must pull the vapor shield back to access the two 10mm bolts. Be careful now that this window is lose to not let it fall causing it to break. You could remove it from the door or do as I did and just be mindful of it during the process.

Now time to unfasten the small pillar that separates the rear vent window from the rear window. Remove the two gold colored 10 mm screws at the bottom of the pillar. You will have to pull the vapor shield back to access them.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 AM

Rear Vent Window How To (Cont)

To unfasten the top of the pillar peel back the weather stripping inside the top of the door to expose a phillips head screw. Remove it.

Now you can pull the weather stripping from the rear movable window out of the pillar and top of the door to allow to pillar to pull down and tilt toward the front of the car.

Remove your existing broken window and weather stripping if you haven't pulled it out already.

Tilt in the new window.

Slide the pillar back in place snapping all the weather stripping around the movable window back in. Secure the pillar with the upper screw and two lower bolts. Make sure the movable window is on its track on both sides. It should slide up and down easily. Once it is lined up properly refasten it to the window regulator. Stick the vapor shield back all around.

Reinstall the door panel dropping it in from the top to allow its lip to sit in the top of the door. I pryed the stripping from the rear window over the door panel with a flat head screwdriver in order to get it to sit right.

Pop the door panel clips in and reinstall the trim pieces.