4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

im skeptical.(Offical Resonator Thread?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM

im skeptical.(Offical Resonator Thread?)

long story short, the pace setter muffler is not doing it for me, when i get above 3k it just starts sounding raspy and crappy, so im looking for a new resonator for x-mas!

im looking to either totally eliminate the muffler and just have a second y-pipe and dump it out the sides, or keep the muffler and upgrade the resonator. please list your opinions in your responses. also list your favorite resonator lengths, im looking at 19-21"+ from my current 10"

i was looking at a few brands but please list your preferred.
-i saw this as my preferred for elim the pacesetter for the length, but at 23$ i dont know if i can trust the brand.seems insane.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-AR4016S-3/

Hushpower! seems like the kinda thing im looking for for sound elimination, but i have never heard of them, any input?
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...word=resonator

any other ideas? i really want some customer reviews on the jones, its the length i need and an absurd price i could buy from one days tips easy.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 PM

dude. you may not believe it, but...

thrush glasspack. i got one after noticing they are only 30 bucks at advance auto parts. best damn $30 ever spent on my car.

if you can, get a magnaflow muffler while you're at it!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 AM

good silencing? or just a much better sound, i dont have much experience with glasspacks like cherry bomb or thrush,
autozone has cherry bomb 20" for 35 bucks..
i dont want to change the muffler, to much money spent already on this exhaust, i want to keep it or toss it.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 AM

I had a 26-26" magnaflow resonator right after the CAT's location, and it made a WORLD of difference, completely eliminated the rasp. My 1st exhaust setup was all 2.5" no resonator and a magnaflow straight through muffler (which I would never recommend anyone to have, unless you want ur car to sound like a dump truck), it was extremely raspy and was just disgusting. I put the resonator and it was completely gone, all high pitch sounds eliminated. then I changed to a Dynomax Superturbo muffler and it was the best setup ever, at idle it was almost as quiet as a stock Z. I recommend it.

Big resonator, and dynomax superturbo muffler.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
i has college

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I had a 26-26" magnaflow resonator right after the CAT's location, and it made a WORLD of difference, completely eliminated the rasp. My 1st exhaust setup was all 2.5" no resonator and a magnaflow straight through muffler (which I would never recommend anyone to have, unless you want ur car to sound like a dump truck), it was extremely raspy and was just disgusting. I put the resonator and it was completely gone, all high pitch sounds eliminated. then I changed to a Dynomax Superturbo muffler and it was the best setup ever, at idle it was almost as quiet as a stock Z. I recommend it.

Big resonator, and dynomax superturbo muffler.
+100000. I have a budget SS Y w/ stock cat, 2.5" catback with a 20" resonator, and a dynomax superturbo. No rasp anywhere, no drone, and I use this car for a three hour commute and I can't even hear the exhaust on the highway unless i turn off the radio. The noise level from the outside is on par with a stock G35, really impressive when you consider how high-flowing this exhaust is.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 PM

seems like i should invest in a dynomax superturbo for sure! but thats for after if i dont like the new resonator
right now i have a budget Y straight pipe, 10" resonator and pacesetter, drone rasp and it sounds like a honda if i try to accelerate fast at all.

does anybody have input on the Jones resonator for 23 bucks? or any ideas if the side pipes will be anoyingly loud, i need that one max with sidepipes(cant member his name) to jump in with a sound clip

i cant find a magnaflow resonator anywhere on summitracing or magnaflow.com, link?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM

I have the stock resonator that came with the car and a flowmaster muffler i think...car sounded nice and perfect before but when i added the wsp y, man...the resonator is freakin loud like toyota truck style..and engine sounds like open headers..when i gun it..love the power of the y pipe but hate the sound rite now.., thinkin of a new resonator to take car of the awful drone and bass its producing. old toyota..
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
+100000. I have a budget SS Y w/ stock cat, 2.5" catback with a 20" resonator, and a dynomax superturbo. No rasp anywhere, no drone, and I use this car for a three hour commute and I can't even hear the exhaust on the highway unless i turn off the radio. The noise level from the outside is on par with a stock G35, really impressive when you consider how high-flowing this exhaust is.
well im gonna have to disagree with you there... i have the magnaflow resonator thats like 26 inches long and a warpspeed y pipe..

anywho i have the stock muffler and it sounds stock...

i put on greddy sp1 and it sounds TERRIBLE drones real bad...

i put on the dynomax and same thing drone like crazy...

i put on a magnaflow muffler just to prove a point and same deal...

i finally decided to cut my losses and get a stock muffler..
Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM

eewww, stay away from glass packs. i had a fart can and took it off and just replaced it with a 2.5in x 24in pipe and it actually got quieter than the fart can. when i hit 3k or so it sounds really smooth (not raspy) IMO. try that, $8 for the exhaust pipe + $20 to install...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 PM

so your setup is no resonator or muffler at all? just straight pipes? got a sound clip?