4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with clunking

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Help with clunking

My car has close to 200k miles on it. I just had the axles replaced with raxles. The car drives a bit better, but I get this clunking feeling when I let off the gas now. For example, if I'm driving 40mph and let off the gas, I start to feel this repeating "clunking" feeling in the floor boards, its not really audible but I can feel it in my feet. However, as soon as I get back on the throttle it goes away until I let off again. Any idea what it could be? Im sure its transmission/cv axle related.

On a side note, I'm replacing my rear o2 sensor and knock sensor this weekend due to a CEL and emission requirements (need to renew the registration). Should I clear the codes and the replace the parts or replace the parts first then clear the codes or does it not matter?

thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

I was getting a single clunk when letting off the gas/getting back on the gas. One of the axle nut's loosened up, tightened it and it went away.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM

hmm, ill have to check that, thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Got Retrofit?

Maybe it's a bad wheel bearing. I just had mine replaced and had that same feeling when driving.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Could it be your TC? or is this feeling repeated over and over?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM

If the car makes the clunking noise or a thump noise, It's the motor mounts that are wearing down. Check to make sure and see If the axle Is in the tranny housing.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM

hmm im gettin the something similar on mine i have 192k and im throwing codes for the harmonic balancer ..but not sure if thats realy
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
If the car makes the clunking noise or a thump noise, It's the motor mounts that are wearing down. Check to make sure and see If the axle Is in the tranny housing.
How exactly do I know if the axle is in the tranny housing? Is it something I can just look at and tell? What about sway bar end links and bushings? They've never been replaced. I get some horrible creaking and popping over bumps, I'm sure they're part of the problem. Is changing motor mounts on this car a driveway job?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM

well, if you live in the south and your lower radiator support isent rusted to hell yes it is, jack up the engine, unbolt the beam, press old ones out, press new ones in. done and done
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Max95Max
My car has close to 200k miles on it. I just had the axles replaced with raxles. The car drives a bit better, but I get this clunking feeling when I let off the gas now. For example, if I'm driving 40mph and let off the gas, I start to feel this repeating "clunking" feeling in the floor boards, its not really audible but I can feel it in my feet. However, as soon as I get back on the throttle it goes away until I let off again. Any idea what it could be? Im sure its transmission/cv axle related.

On a side note, I'm replacing my rear o2 sensor and knock sensor this weekend due to a CEL and emission requirements (need to renew the registration). Should I clear the codes and the replace the parts or replace the parts first then clear the codes or does it not matter?

thanks
Have you already failed an inspection for emissions? Hard to tell from your comment. Assuming for the moment it's just the CEL throwing codes, I would replace the KS first, then reset the ECU, run the car around, and see if you get a CEL after a day or so. If it doesn't come back on, you may want to leave it alone. If you need to know for sure checkfor codes again to confirm them and any others. (I've had codes show up and disapear from changing things). If you get the o2 code again, then you know for sure.

Last edited by Godzillamax; 12-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:42 PM

How exactly do I know if the axle is in the tranny housing? Is it something I can just look at and tell? What about sway bar end links and bushings? They've never been replaced. I get some horrible creaking and popping over bumps, I'm sure they're part of the problem. Is changing motor mounts on this car a driveway job?
You lift the car on a jack and jack stands go underneath the car. Make sure the axle is sunk into the trans. check input shaft barrings while your down there. Grab the axle hub close to the trans and shake up and down, check both sides if there is play your input shaft barrings need to be replaced and you have to drop the trans, tare down and replace them. You mentioned sway bar end links and bushings. Have you checked tie rods, ball joints, upper strut mounts, and control arm bushings. If you have not checked these, one might be your problem. I understand that you have replaced your axles, I had to replace mine 3 times because autozone gave me bogus ones that were under warranty and I had to keep exchanging them. in regards to your motor mounts it is a drive way job. You can check these with your hood open and e-brake up, going from forward to reverse watching how much the motor moves. you will need two people to do this. If they are bad more than likely its the bottom two. Hopefully this helps good luck with your problem.

Last edited by Kico; 12-08-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM

You lift the car on a jack and jack stands go underneath the car. Make sure the axle is sunk into the trans. check input shaft barrings while your down there. Grab the axle hub close to the trans and shake up and down, check both sides if there is play your input shaft barrings need to be replaced and you have to drop the trans, tare down and replace them. You mentioned sway bar end links and bushings. Have you checked tie rods, ball joints, upper strut mounts, and control arm bushings. If you have not checked these, one might be your problem. I understand that you have replaced your axles, I had to replace mine 3 times because autozone gave me bogus ones that were under warranty and I had to keep exchanging them. Hopefully this helps good luck with your problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Godzillamax
Have you already failed an inspection for emissions? Hard to tell from your comment. Assuming for the moment it's just the CEL throwing codes, I would replace the KS first, then reset the ECU, run the car around, and see if you get a CEL after a day or so. If it doesn't come back on, you may want to leave it alone. If you need to know for sure checkfor codes again to confirm them and any others. (I've had codes show up and disapear from changing things). If you get the o2 code again, then you know for sure.
Acutally I replaced the KS and O2 sensor and passed emissions. I live in CT where they do OBD emissions testing. I passed the test, but the majority of things tested on the print-out sheet said "not ready" because I just cleared the codes a couple days before. The KS was cracked all around and the O2 was the original one on the car, so it was about time to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Kico
You lift the car on a jack and jack stands go underneath the car. Make sure the axle is sunk into the trans. check input shaft barrings while your down there. Grab the axle hub close to the trans and shake up and down, check both sides if there is play your input shaft barrings need to be replaced and you have to drop the trans, tare down and replace them. You mentioned sway bar end links and bushings. Have you checked tie rods, ball joints, upper strut mounts, and control arm bushings. If you have not checked these, one might be your problem. I understand that you have replaced your axles, I had to replace mine 3 times because autozone gave me bogus ones that were under warranty and I had to keep exchanging them. Hopefully this helps good luck with your problem.
Heh, it just snowed here so I'm going to have to put it off for a while. Tie rod ends were replaced when the new axles went in. I looked at the sway bar end links and they're rusted to hell, so they definitely need to be replaced. Are there any aftermarket control arms available for these cars that come with good bushings? I searched but haven't found any.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Are there any aftermarket control arms available for these cars that come with good bushings? I searched but haven't found any.

check rockauto.com. they have control arms with ball joint/bushings. good prices.