4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Head Unit: What do i need to do???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM

Replacing Head Unit: What do i need to do???

ok so here is my plan.

I'm going to replace my BOSE HU with a nice Sony double din seen here (found it on amazon for $150):

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

I know I will need a wire harness adapter from crutchfield or something like that...about $20

Also, I'm pretty sure I need to bypass the wiring on the amps for each BOSE speaker right??? I'm lost when it comes to that part...

so my questions are...how do i bypass the amps? and will i need anything else to fit the new HU in place???

thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 AM

My advice would be to get new speakers!!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 AM

honestly if u can afford to eliminate the blose do it! itl be soo much less of a headache. if u do choose to not get new speakers u dont need to bypass the bose amps. just get the metra 70-7551 amp integration harness and an antenna adapter then ull be set.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM

well, i don't really have a choice about my Bose speakers...they're staying. eventually i'm gonna put a sub in so i may consider new speakers then, but for now the bose is all i have.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM

well, ive got a few options for ya, considering you want to keep your stockers..

First off, the problem with BOSE is that the speakers are not amplified through the head unit but rather at the speaker, the amplifier is encased inside that black plastic shield under the speakers.. and at 1 ohm, none the less... so, you cant find an amplifier to make them sound much better....

so, your only other real options are to up the voltage of the pre outs to the Bose amps. Which is a problem for Most Head units. Especially cheap ones. Most pre-outs from a Head unit are only around 1-2 volts... and heck some head units don't even have Pre-outs. So people buy metra harnesses and either bypass the Bose amps ( not recommended) or send a High Level signal to the Bose Amps. which is what you would be doing... And from Experience it sounds like Azz.

So what i propose you do is simple. But sounds complicated... so stay with me, Humor me and you may not regret it.

For reference im going to be pulling alot of information from a thread i spent a bit of time helping with. I dont think I made ANY headway though...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...und-sound.html

and my thread on AVIC411.com about the splitter...

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=180785

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOPIPE-MULTI-...ht_3834wt_1052

This particular member wanted to do a surround sound setup in his Max, and i pointed him in the direction of a Splitter for amplifiers that ups the line voltage to 4Volts and it has a total of 18 Pre Outs and 6 In's.

Seriously, ive got one in my max with my Indash Navi AVIC-F700BT and it sounds EPIC. I upped my voltage of my pre-outs from 2.2 to 4 or so, and the diffrence is Much Louder output, Clarity, and overall crispness of the sound from our old Blowse speakers.

All i did was splice a bunch of RCA connectors onto my metra Harness to interface with the Splitter. And of course i had to buy/dig in the junk drawer for a few RCA Male to male Cables to go from the headunit to the splitter on the Input end.

This method will work with any head unit, heck you could Probably even use the headunits High level output and splice a couple RCAs onto it and do the same thing..

I just have to educate you that the head unit you've chosen is only 17Watts RMS, and given some math 17W RMS/14.5V= 1.17(number off the top of my head) or so Volts for the pre-ins on the BOSE amps...

Also im not trying to completely destroy your hopes and dreams but i know you could probably get a Indash navi JUST like mine for just a small amount more than what your going to pay for that Sony Double Din. I got mine for 300 Flat + cost of splitter and Metra harness.. and thats it. All in All 350 Bucks... and ive got Navigation, an Awesome Touch Screen Display capable of watching movies on and interfacing with many other services, traffic ect.. and Sub controls, equalizer and a million other things.... In my mind id just wait save a bit more cash up and do it right, The First Time.

Moral of the story, Buy this splitter regardless of what route you take; it will make your Bose sound a million times better. heck i don't care if you keep your stock head unit, cause it'll work there too!

:EDIT: BTW! Clean Max! Diggin the Black'ed out Tails look nice.

Last edited by FallenOne; 11-30-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ive been running an Alpine HU, stock Bose amps/speakers, and a separate amp and sub for years. I have wired the Bose speakers a few different ways. The best sounding and most reliable was to use the RCA pre outs, sending the low level signal to the Bose amps. I had a converter but it sounded like *** no matter how much I adjusted the trim pots.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM

thats becasue all line output converters do is change that RMS power being sent to a low level signal, and is highly dependant on the wattage, hence making the Voltage

im sure my explanation of it is pretty sketchy but yeah, anyways.

Last edited by FallenOne; 11-30-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM

FallenOne,

I must say your set up sounds brilliant. If I've read all of your threads correctly, I could add this lil line driver into my existing Bose system and see a difference.

So I got to thinking...could I buy the 1551 adapter and run rca cables from that to this lil magic box? I'm just nervous about splicing RCA cables and connecting them somehow to the existing Bose harness....Thx in advance...I think you may have just made my day.UPDATE: I should have thought this through and realized that it would not work as I would still have to splice from the speakers to the box.

Last edited by kelster23; 11-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM

FallenOne, thanks for that info. let me clarify a bit for myself here...

so you are saying that no matter which headunit i buy (will prolly be the sony) i can take that splitter, connect it into the system and NOT HAVE TO BYPASS ANY AMPS??? that would make life so much easier.
now, do the rca connectors go from the head unit, into the splitter then the splitter connects to the stock wiring to the speakers??? i'm lost here.

and thanks for the compliment i'm trying to keep all my mods clean and simple. i just did those, and the turn signal/side markers this last week.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Dam, My BOSE head unit just messed up recently. So yea im in the same boat as you except i don't have the money for the new HU yet, but when i do i know lifes gonna be hell, I think im gonna rip ALL the bose speakers out and the HU and wire all my own speakers with all new wires in all. i think it will be easier.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Personally when I had my Maxima I bought the ROEM-NIS2. Worked great never had a problem. Real simple just splice the headunits wire harness into it, then plug the other end of the converter box to you cars factory stereo connector.

Heres a link, might be able to find better deals on ebay this is just the first result.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Hey guys! sorry for delay in response been busy all day... well heres the scoop, the RCA splitter sends the appropriate Low Level Output signal to the bose amps, so yes NO BYPASSING BOSE AMPS.

BTW: i am not running a 7551 Harness I am Running a 7550 Harness its just the straight wires, which is a much better fit for you guys if you decided to use the splitter, i have not looked at the 7551 close enough to devise a plan to use it.. but i will momentarily.

UPDATE: i have looked into the 7551 Harness and it is probably a better fit if you are willing to spend the extra dough to buy it. It is the exact same setup as i proposed/used only in a much Cleaner form. So i hope that helps you guys out with a visual example of what i did.

You can just use the Low Level RCA's from the Headunit and split them off, or you can 'TRY' to send a high level output from the head unit to the Splitter, just go to the store buy some Male to male RCA cables splice them onto your + and - speaker wires on your harness's (plural) Or if your using low level outputs form your head unit just run Male to Male wires to the splitter from the Headunit.. But reguardless et me clarify that you will need to splice rca's onto the Metra Harness to actually goes back to the speakers.

With my Indash Navi i have Pre Outs supplied already but they were only 2V, which sucked.. and i wish that i have just ordered some of these and jsut plug and played from my RCA Females to my Splitter..... =[ (Screw It. Im Buying Some.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-NEW-RCA-MALE-T...item414b04095d

If i Must i will get pictures for you guys.. and i can draw a basic diagram, but its going to be until tonight. but please hear me out on this splitter i promise you its worth it IF you have a Low Voltage for your Low Level Outputs.

EDIT: im unsure of the Voltage that the Stock BOSE headunit puts out, but im sure its no 4V.. and i know my Indash Navi Kicks my Stock Boses AZZ in Sound Quality Now.

Originally Posted by gto400no1
Personally when I had my Maxima I bought the ROEM-NIS2. Worked great never had a problem. Real simple just splice the headunits wire harness into it, then plug the other end of the converter box to you cars factory stereo connector.

Heres a link, might be able to find better deals on ebay this is just the first result.
Hows the Sound Quality and Level?

Originally Posted by kelster23
FallenOne,

I must say your set up sounds brilliant. If I've read all of your threads correctly, I could add this lil line driver into my existing Bose system and see a difference.

So I got to thinking...could I buy the 1551 adapter and run rca cables from that to this lil magic box? I'm just nervous about splicing RCA cables and connecting them somehow to the existing Bose harness....Thx in advance...I think you may have just made my day.UPDATE: I should have thought this through and realized that it would not work as I would still have to splice from the speakers to the box.
Kelster, please explain your situation a bit better for me if you could?

Last edited by FallenOne; 12-02-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 PM

FallenOne - Sound quality was perfect, provided a nice improvement over stock. Didn't need to do any adjustments to the converter box or anything.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM

FallenOne - Sound quality was perfect, provided a nice improvement over stock. Didn't need to do any adjustments to the converter box or anything.
i looked into that product and unfortunately i cannot find the Voltage for it. Im sure what you have now was fine for you.. but im kind of a stickler when it comes to volume and what hardware im using... I do see that as a viable option however.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM

yeah think you should sswitch out the entire system and not just bypass
Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I need a truck

I would check out the A/V forum. Lots on info in there.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Hes already stated hes keeping his BOSE, he just wants to have a new headunit and hopefully have it sound better.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM

FallenOne, pictures would be a great help. i have an idea of what the setup behind the HU looks like, but seeing it in a picture would be great. Don't worry if it's too much hassle to do soon...i've got a few weeks before i purchase.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Ive been running an Alpine HU, stock Bose amps/speakers, and a separate amp and sub for years. I have wired the Bose speakers a few different ways. The best sounding and most reliable was to use the RCA pre outs, sending the low level signal to the Bose amps. I had a converter but it sounded like *** no matter how much I adjusted the trim pots.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Dang you!, it just snowed and got cold and now i dont have a garage to use =[ Ill get some pics in the next week or so at the very least..
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Slow down a bit fellas....

I was about to replace my Bose HU cuz its crapped out. I thought THat was all i had to do and whoopee i have music thru my aftermarket speakers to Bose speakers.

But are you guiys saying that, if i replace the HU...the sound to speakers wont work??...or wont sound good.

THe aftermarket HU will have its own internal amp...that signal will go to the BOse speakers. Will it create alot of distortion and sound crappy???

If that is the case...wont it jus be easier to jus replace all the speakers with some Kenwoods??? I did that for my old maxi anyway. Took 2 hrs for front and rears.

Why wont an aftermarket HU work either way. I shouldnt have to change the speakers???
Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter

Buy the Metra 70-7551 wire harness. Plug it in and you're good.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit

I was about to replace my Bose HU cuz its crapped out. I thought THat was all i had to do and whoopee i have music thru my aftermarket speakers to Bose speakers.

But are you guiys saying that, if i replace the HU...the sound to speakers wont work??...or wont sound good.

It will work. You just need the correct harness for it to work properly/sound good. Metra 70-7551.

THe aftermarket HU will have its own internal amp...that signal will go to the BOse speakers. Will it create alot of distortion and sound crappy???

If you use the 70-7551, it'll bypass the amp inside the HU and just send a low-level voltage signal to your BOSE amp. Better sound.

Why wont an aftermarket HU work either way. I shouldnt have to change the speakers???

You don't have to
Answers in bold.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

You guys fail to realize that this will only work if you have 4 Preouts. Alot of head units only have Pre outs for a subwoofer, and those are sometimes modified for LPF's or EQ
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Hes already stated hes keeping his BOSE, he just wants to have a new headunit and hopefully have it sound better.
Given what he said, I'd install the Sony with a Scosche adapter or use pre-outs.

If cash is the issue with speakers, buy new capacitors and refresh the Bose amp circuit boards. The end result is pretty darn good sound, a modern head unit, and very little cash spent.

Dave
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by cashoit

If that is the case...wont it jus be easier to jus replace all the speakers with some Kenwoods??? I did that for my old maxi anyway. Took 2 hrs for front and rears.

Bose units run at a nonstandard impedance and have amps built into each speaker. If you wire up a standard powered headunit you will have a mess. (Some people claim it works fine but jsut as often it doesn't work and damages the components.). There are adapters that will safely alter the powered signal to the Bose speakers or you can replace both speakers and headunit as a system.

Dave
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the Bose system and the HU started going out, so I replaced it with a Clarion (Clarion manufactured the Bose HU). I bought it and the Scosche adapter from Crutchfield and it was a breeze to hook up.

I did have one problem getting the microphone on the HU to pick up my voice but that ended up being a installer error and Crutchfield support quickly pointed out my shortcomings.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 AM

get new speakers, send me 10 bucks and ill ship you out a harness i have. =)
Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
You guys fail to realize that this will only work if you have 4 Preouts. Alot of head units only have Pre outs for a subwoofer, and those are sometimes modified for LPF's or EQ
The HU i plan on buying only has 2 preouts for the Sub.

I guess I could split the amp pre-outs on the HU using RCA y-cables. But then I would not be able to install the sub and and the speakers together.

The bose HU is crapped out so i definitely need to replace. I think the speakers are ok cuz i hear sound coming out of each...but it doesnt sound loud at all. But that may jus be because the Bose HU is crapped.

Here are my opitions:

1) Change all the speakers and the HU.
Im leaning this direction cuz this way I will know that all the speakers will work and i have done this before on my previous maxi.

2) Keep the BOSE speakers and replace HU. If i do this...what is the best way to accomplisht. FALLENONE...you say to use the splitter?? How do i power it? what is Metra 70-7551 and how do i hook it up?

If I can avoid changing all the speakers what is the best / easiest way to go?? Keep in mind...I plan on hookin up my sub too.

Thanks peeps.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 AM

I think my boy here might have the best solution....

I only have the sub pre-outs so the Metra harness wont work.

THis method looks easy and simple. Im still a lil hesitant about the condition of the speakers but i know they work cuz sound comes from all four.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM

see if you guys went ahead and got yourself an indash navi such as a AVIC-F700BT you could set a high pass filter like i do and weed out the troublesome bass to the speakers!