4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle seal leakin

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Axle seal leakin

I was wondering if u guys already have big problems with your axle shafts seal on tranny side on a mtx 5spd 99?? i replaced mine the correct way and they are still leaking, bot of the driveaxle are new and the seal came from the dealer...the installation was right i didnt pinch the seal while getting the axle back in...so anyone got this kind of problem??
Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM
SCAMMER DO NOT BUY FROM FOR NOW

Originally Posted by thegontran
I was wondering if u guys already have big problems with your axle shafts seal on tranny side on a mtx 5spd 99?? i replaced mine the correct way and they are still leaking, bot of the driveaxle are new and the seal came from the dealer...the installation was right i didnt pinch the seal while getting the axle back in...so anyone got this kind of problem??
i have the same problem, ive changed them a couple of times and they still leak.... idk
Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I pulled the tranny out last weekend to replace the passenger side axle seal for the third time (first two times tranny was still in the car) and it still leaks. I bought all three seals from different stores and have already swapped axles once. I don't know what else to do.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM

ahahah glad to hear that too, i really dont know how to fix them, i even put a light film of silicone on the outer side of the seal to help it to get inb place....put a good dab of grease on the inside to prevent it from burning in the first wheel turns...but i dont know if someone succeed in reparing them??
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
VQ35 FTW

I found something that was the same diameter as the seal and lightly tapped it in evenly with a rubber mallet. If you tap those just a little too hard when installing they will leak. They will also leak if one side goes in first and part of the seal gets slightly bent.
Zack
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
i has college

When i replaced mine, I put my 36mm socket over the axle seal (fits it like a glove) and lightly tapped on the end of the socket with a mallet until the outer rim of the seal was flush with the tranny. No more leak.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 AM

Ok, since I am a newbie and you guys are talking about axles (not trying to steal your thread, sorry) but My boots are intact no rips but they seem to pop from time to time when I turn real sharp. Is anyone have this problem or has this happened to you and it's been something else?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
When i replaced mine, I put my 36mm socket over the axle seal (fits it like a glove) and lightly tapped on the end of the socket with a mallet until the outer rim of the seal was flush with the tranny. No more leak.
Driver or passenger side? Did you do it with the tranny in the car? Maybe I'll try one more time before I turn it over to the professionals. I'd really like to make my Max road worth for long trips.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Axle seals are very touchy

Originally Posted by thegontran
I replaced my axles this summer...and replaced the driver side seal 3 times because of leaks. As others have stated, you need to be extremely careful and patient in installing the seal. I did it with the tranny in the car, and on the third successful attempt used a rubber mallet and a piece of wood that was just wider than the seal as a drift. The outer seal surface should be flush with the outer edge of the tranny-in other words don't just push it all the way in to seat it.This is why it's delicate and requires patience-it's a tight fit, you can't be rough, and it wants to twist off angle as you tap it in. I asked a Nissan mechanic I ran into as I left the dealer with my second seal about how he installs them.He said use some Vaseline on the outside edge of the seal to facilitate insertion, be gentle and patient, no rushing, outer seal edge flush with the tranny edge,verify the seal is not off-axis, grease the inner surface and axle end before assembly, and be verrrrry careful when you insert the axle so you don't cut/scrape the inner seal edge. Good luck!!

Last edited by StevieB; 11-26-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Maintenance Monster

Regarding axle seal leaks:
1) They are tough to install correctly with the tranmission in the car. Be sure you didn't scratch the bore in the transmission when removing the old seal. I use a piece of pipe nipple ($3) that's sized just right but I need to buy a 36mm sometime soon so I'll definitely try that out too.

2) If installing a passenger side seal, make sure it's not a driver's side seal. Passenger side is slightly smaller on the inside.

3) Look to see if the differential inside the transmission has any wiggle room at all. With the seal and axle out you can insert a *clean* prybar where the axle goes and try to lift it up or down. If your diff bearings are good it will be nice and solid. If there is any wiggle at all (you might feel it but not see it) your leak may be caused by worn out diff bearings. It will leak because it overstretches the seals as the axle wiggles around. In this case you must rebuild the transmission. Sooner than later because the metal flakes from the worn bearings and play in the diff will greatly increase wear and damage to the other internals.

4) Make sure the axle is locked in. If not, it will leak a little until you hit a big bump with the wheels turned, at which point it will slide out further and leak like crazy.

Dave

Last edited by dgeesaman; 11-26-2009 at 06:03 AM.