4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

STARTER STUCK IN ENGINE......TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Hey guys! yeah this thread is so old but funny enough I have a little update. I think this happend around october and I just now got the starter removed from the car!!!! I have another car to drive so no big deal but i have missed my old max lol.

I ended up ripping the internals from the starter out the back while it was still on the car so i knew then the gears were not an issue. All it took was some liquid wrench and a hammer and chisel. Turns out the aluminum had built up this nasty scale crap all around the mounting points and "seized" the starter shell to the car!!!

what great luck i have!!!! er..... but not really
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM

also, when I replace this old starter I'm def. going to hit it with some anti-seize lube. Just take my advice and do this if you replace a starter just in case! Something about that aluminum.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM

my luck with starters is just as bad as yours.. i went through 2 starters and had to buy a new battery in a day because of my impatience and clumsyness..

i'm so dumb lol. and after all my work my battery decided to leak so i copped a new one

and btw the starter with the snapped mount i didn't bother fixing coz it was a junked starter anywho so i bought a brand new one.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
also, when I replace this old starter I'm def. going to hit it with some anti-seize lube. Just take my advice and do this if you replace a starter just in case! Something about that aluminum.

the first time my car needed a starter my mechanic did it for me.. the 2nd time i did it i didn't lube anything up.. should i have? :S
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hein
I did that to my new starter 2 nights ago Good thing for that lifetime warranty @ AutoZone
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by aznprid972
I did that to my new starter 2 nights ago Good thing for that lifetime warranty @ AutoZone
lmao lucky, i literally took $60 and threw it in the ****ter.

the starter is still sitting in my trunk to this day to remind me not to do anything stupid again
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 AM

whoa whoa...i thought the procedure was to jus remove and replace. where would u apply the grease? On the starter gears? Or around the seal area where it mounts to the engine.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Or around the seal area where it mounts to the engine.
That's where it sounds like the OP's starter fused itself to the block...
Bummer.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM

If your going to lube the starter housing, don't use grease. Clean the surfaces and use anti-seize or nothing. The starter is grounded thru the case.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
whoa whoa...i thought the procedure was to jus remove and replace. where would u apply the grease? On the starter gears? Or around the seal area where it mounts to the engine.
No, I meant just apply some anti-sieze around the inside of the starter where it contacts the trans. housing. That's where all that build up was that had it seized to the housing. You would not believe how freakin hard that thing was siezed!! You could pry on it and literaly move the engine up and down Oddly I still cannot find one thing wrong with that starter, everything looked fine after i assembled it back together.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
If your going to lube the starter housing, don't use grease. Clean the surfaces and use anti-seize or nothing. The starter is grounded thru the case.

+1

i dont think you should do that but if you must i would use that stuff you are suppose to put on spark plugs
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by smai555
+1

i dont think you should do that but if you must i would use that stuff you are suppose to put on spark plugs

O ok. I kno the stuff u talkin bout. I would worry that the stuff might make teh engagement between the starter and flywheel too lubricated and cause the starter to jump a tooth once in awhile. BUT, for the most part it should work.

WHitemax,

Perhaps the flywheel needs to be changed?

Does your car start and drive yet? Wasnt somethin else wrong wit it? Its been so long man lol
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM

and............the saga continues. Took the old starter up to advance auto parts and they "tested" it for me before they would exchange it and wouldn't u know IT WORKED FINE!! Even with a broken piece inside it haha. There's no chance now i can get it swapped out so im out 130 bucks now. Im trying to glue that stupid plastic piece back together so maybe it will work. Problem is this plastic piece keeps the drive gear from moving back and forth until u engage the starter motor. Without it the drive gear would just slide into the flywheel. and...........that's not so good
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM

pm'd
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Yeah all these horror stories about remanned and advance auto parts starter motors is the reason I had mine replaced at a nearby monroe brake and muffler when mine **** the bed... i have triple a so the tow was free, but it was 480 bucks total including labor and the brand new starter. I spent that much on it because the original starter motor lasted me 202k miles so i figure this one should as well
Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 PM

Well the unit that came off my car was a reman. advance auto starter. It worked fine and funny enough was not even bad it was the switch. I figured it would work fine. Iam starting to think my flywheel is worn though, hence the starter gear having trouble catching the worn teeth.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am replacing my clutch now. Should i throw a new starter in even though mine currently works?

Last edited by 1996SEleeper; 01-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't know if its worth it?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok i hade the same thing going on. i bouth a new remand starter and it work fine the frist 1 week or so. then same thing as yours. take the starter out and see if it has a nissan logo on it right in the center if it does. thats the one for your car if not it really for a car that use the same plug the space on it is not the same does not really reach the fly wheel
Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1996SEleeper
i am replacing my clutch now. Should i throw a new starter in even though mine currently works?
no but you can re-lube it
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlueBlackMax
Yeah all these horror stories about remanned and advance auto parts starter motors is the reason I had mine replaced at a nearby monroe brake and muffler when mine **** the bed... i have triple a so the tow was free, but it was 480 bucks total including labor and the brand new starter. I spent that much on it because the original starter motor lasted me 202k miles so i figure this one should as well
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM

LOL, lord help me guys! I rushed home this evening and spent about 30min putting my old crap starter back on my car. Turned it over and it fired up for the first time in 4 months. I turned it off and started it again with no problems so i figure it's good now right?? backed up slowly and turned and this horrible grind grind sssssssscccccrrrrrrrrrr sounds starts coming from under the hood. Pulled back up turned it off. bumped the starter a couple times....nothing sounds fine.......started it up and the same donkey being raped sound!! My theory is the starter teeth are not fully disengaged and are grinding like hell on the flywheel. Sound about right??

So simply put unless I can purposely burn this starter motor up myself Im out $130.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM

You should be able to maliciously fry it. Maybe run two batteries to it (out of the car of course, no need to cause any more damage) and overpower it till it fries.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM

1. remove starter from engine,
2. crank FOREVER
3. buy my starter.
4. ????
5. PROFIT!

or open it up, spray brake cleaner and get rid of all that grease, then refer back to the prevous plan for faster burning.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

So simply put unless I can purposely burn this starter motor up myself Im out $130.

Yo man.. the teeth on the flywheel must be bent up or skewed now. I would look into possibly replacing it. Or if u can at least get a look at it. Starters SHDNT make grinding noises.

Glad to hear the ole girl fired up man
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Also if you live in a hilly area you dont even need a starter.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by americanclassicg
Also if you live in a hilly area you dont even need a starter.
^this

remove starter, Weight reduction!!!!!1!11
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
^this

remove starter, Weight reduction!!!!!1!11
sadly she's an auto

handson i have not forgotten
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM

LOL, lord help me guys! I rushed home this evening and spent about 30min putting my old crap starter back on my car. Turned it over and it fired up for the first time in 4 months. I turned it off and started it again with no problems so i figure it's good now right?? backed up slowly and turned and this horrible grind grind sssssssscccccrrrrrrrrrr sounds starts coming from under the hood. Pulled back up turned it off. bumped the starter a couple times....nothing sounds fine.......started it up and the same donkey being raped sound!! My theory is the starter teeth are not fully disengaged and are grinding like hell on the flywheel. Sound about right??

LMAO......I actually fixed the problem today for good! You won't belive what that horrible noise was from. I put on yet another starter i got from an org. member and it started but had the same horrible noise when it cranked. Stupid me got out and looked up under it and the freakin plastic shroud that covers the belts had gotten jammed into the a/c pulley

Months ago i took it loose so i could get at the crank pulley to turn the engine over and forgot all about it. when i backed out and cut my wheels of course it jammed it into the belt.........the plastic was half burnt into

good news is, she's all good now after 6 long months.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

damn congratulations! lol
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 AM

nice man!

Now you can get back to what we really love...MODs!!! lol
Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starter stuck in Maxima

We had the same problem. Car never started after replacement. I pried and tried everything but finally I put a side cutter behind it ( to the left side, just behind the solenoid) with the air filter and battery out. Then I put a nail puller 14 1/4" one behind it and just laid on it. With enough pressure, it finally popped off. Took a lot of pressure but it did come out finally.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bmoore
We had the same problem. Car never started after replacement. I pried and tried everything but finally I put a side cutter behind it ( to the left side, just behind the solenoid) with the air filter and battery out. Then I put a nail puller 14 1/4" one behind it and just laid on it. With enough pressure, it finally popped off. Took a lot of pressure but it did come out finally.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:48 AM

Old thread BUMPAGE
Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 PM

bringing it back to life after 5 years eh?

I love my A32
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starter

[QUOTE=WhiteMaxima9600;7272815]Well today I'am officially perplexed on this situation! I swear i have been as calm as I could be while dealing with this with still no answer. If you have not read my other post basically this is the deal.

I replaced my starter with a reman unit, turned over fine the first 5-6 times then developed a slight grinding sound upon turning over. Problem got a little worse after bout a week or so. Finally one night it sounded like the teeth were not catching the flywheel correctly and it just barely started.

I removed both starter bolts and the starter just stayed in place!! I tried hammering it with a block of wood, prying with a small tool, prying with screwdrivers etc.. and it did not budge. Today decided to turn engine over with ratchet and it turns over in both directions smoothly no sound at all from starter or flywheel. Then I decided to take the starter apart while it was still on the car and the shaft inside is loose. So I don't think it's engaged to the flywheel.

What else is there for me to do??? Nothing I have mentioned has made any difference at all. I'ts still as tight to the housing as if it were still bolted down Im open to any suggestions as this has been going on for almost 2 weeks and Im ready to throw a match on it at this point [/QUOTE

hi how did you get it out
Old 01-17-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chxu Sh
He never did, legend has it he’s still prying on that starter to this very day.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:16 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE=Chxu Sh;9233145]
Well today I'am officially perplexed on this situation! I swear i have been as calm as I could be while dealing with this with still no answer. If you have not read my other post basically this is the deal.

I replaced my starter with a reman unit, turned over fine the first 5-6 times then developed a slight grinding sound upon turning over. Problem got a little worse after bout a week or so. Finally one night it sounded like the teeth were not catching the flywheel correctly and it just barely started.

I removed both starter bolts and the starter just stayed in place!! I tried hammering it with a block of wood, prying with a small tool, prying with screwdrivers etc.. and it did not budge. Today decided to turn engine over with ratchet and it turns over in both directions smoothly no sound at all from starter or flywheel. Then I decided to take the starter apart while it was still on the car and the shaft inside is loose. So I don't think it's engaged to the flywheel.

What else is there for me to do??? Nothing I have mentioned has made any difference at all. I'ts still as tight to the housing as if it were still bolted down Im open to any suggestions as this has been going on for almost 2 weeks and Im ready to throw a match on it at this point [/QUOTE

Unlikely to get a reply considering this thread is 10 years old.... Please look before you post. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 AM

Further proof that people don't bother to read is that in post # 41, the op detailed how he finally got the starter out.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Further proof that people don't bother to read is that in post # 41, the op detailed how he finally got the starter out.
and they come and go like shooting stars, shining for 1 second.

Last edited by saig; 01-18-2021 at 07:59 PM.