4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Supercharging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM

Supercharging Questions

Hello everyone, im planning on installing a supercharger this spring and Im gathering peices now. I have a few questions though and figured Id ask here as the FI section doesnt get as many views.

1) For 10psi, are headers needed?

2) Injectors. Anybody know where to get them and more specifically how to install them? Write-up perhaps?

3) The fuel pump....is it in the gas tank on 4th gens? Also, why the need for an auxillary fuel pump on a supercharged setup?

4) Motor mounts. I know I need new ones since mine are shot. Would it be alright to just get all for from rockauto.com for 250 shipped? I see cattman has place racing for 260, but that only has two. What owuld be best for going FI

And just so everyone knows, I have been looking into this for some time and have been searching constantly for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DTrem08; 10-20-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Just the tip.

Hey check this out... http://forums.maxima.org/supercharged-turbocharged-38/
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 AM

1) No.
2) You can get them almost anywhere, local parts store, online store, ebay, etc. Before finding info. on how to install them find out why and which ones you should use.
3) Yes. More boost needs more fuel. Replace the in-tank pump and you don't need an aux. pump.
4)Stock mounts will work. Firmer mounts are personal preference.

P.S. If you think you have done a lot of research then you just barely scratched the surface.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM

I know Im still just scratching the surface. I never said I was done searching because Im not even clsoe to being done researching. I just needed to start a thread where I can ask questions in one place and then be able to refer back to just one thread ya know?

Thanks for the actual help though!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM

How did you come up with 10psi?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM

a 3.25" pulley
Old 10-20-2009, 11:13 AM

lolll... good luck then cause if u going sced with an intercooler
a 3.25 would be like what.. 6 or 5 psi?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I need a truck

Browse the Turbo/Supercharger forum.

Headers are a bonus ... Not necessary because people were putting s/c's on their cars before headers were available (unless they were custom)

I don't know anything about the injectors

Get a walbro fuel pump and a larger fuel filter ... The fuel pump is located underneath the rear seat and is not located in the gas tank.

More hp = more wheel hop ... You're spending a lot of money on the s/c to begin with ... why cheap out now?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Again, I have been browsing the turbo/sc forum, Im just asking some questions that have come up after looking through it all.

You say not to cheap out...Im assuming that was directed towards motor mounts and to get some place racing (or similar) from cattman rather than stock replacements?

scmaxima....why are you saying good luck? And like I said, a 3.25 will be about 10psi
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by DTrem08
You say not to cheap out...Im assuming that was directed towards motor mounts and to get some place racing (or similar) from cattman rather than stock replacements?
Yeah, I meant to edit it to be more specific, but I got called away from the comp. Yeah, you're going to spend all that money on the s/c, but you're think about spending $250 for 4, vs $260 for 2. If you're serious about going the s/c route, get the better motor mounts.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Alright. I read somewhere that the 2 ar ethe front and rear so I'd still have to get the stock ones for the other side and transmission mount?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Boosted Panda

Your not ready for 10psi, start low.
You need to read up on the general maintenance of the Max and get familiar with the car before you consider learning about boosting one.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM

So you think I should stick with the stock pulley for 7 psi flava? You think 3 psi is too much to start with? I read that changing the pulley is a PITA so I figured mihgt as well just go with the 10psi from the start.

General maintenance? Familiar with the car? Ive had it for almost 2 years and have done all of the maintenance myself. This isnt my first car. Im familiar with cars, I dont get what your trying to say here. Im sorry I havent boosted a car before and Im asking questions to figure some things out
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Boosted Panda

So you think I should stick with the stock pulley for 7 psi flava? You think 3 psi is too much to start with? I read that changing the pulley is a PITA so I figured mihgt as well just go with the 10psi from the start.

General maintenance? Familiar with the car? Ive had it for almost 2 years and have done all of the maintenance myself. This isnt my first car. Im familiar with cars, I dont get what your trying to say here. Im sorry I havent boosted a car before and Im asking questions to figure some things out
Youve had it for two years and didnt know the fuel pump was in the tank?
Changing the pulley isnt any harder then installing the actual SCer.
Up to you, but I wouldnt jump straight into 10psi without knowing a bit more about the setup and having the appropriate fuel setup.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 PM

Thats why Im asking. I have heard conflicting things about the location of the fuel pump on these cars. Sorry for asking for clarification on something that I havent had to work on yet. So you think that since I havent worked on the fuel system, im not capable of doing this? I will have the approriate setup to run psi, thats why I was asking questions so I can get the right setup
Old 10-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Thats why Im asking. I have heard conflicting things about the location of the fuel pump on these cars. Sorry for asking for clarification on something that I havent had to work on yet. So you think that since I havent worked on the fuel system, im not capable of doing this? I will have the approriate setup to run psi, thats why I was asking questions so I can get the right setup

maybe you should wait and put a hold on your spendings right now... Go through flava's list of what he gathered up for HIS setup.. THEN, you go out a happy camper and buy what you need off his list, and if you got the money.... then you can come back to us then get more help. other than that.. i aint saying i'm the master of everything here, but i think you shouldn't jump onto anything too quick.. i dunno about the rest of your .org members.. but am i the only one that smells smoke? because it's gonna be one mell of a hess. and i aint hatin on you bro.. just saying.. slow down just a tad. think this over.

i want a turbo setup.. but i am gonna wait a couple more years.. and i haven't thought it over yet.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
maybe you should wait and put a hold on your spendings right now... Go through flava's list of what he gathered up for HIS setup.. THEN, you go out a happy camper and buy what you need off his list, and if you got the money.... then you can come back to us then get more help. other than that.. i aint saying i'm the master of everything here, but i think you shouldn't jump onto anything too quick.. i dunno about the rest of your .org members.. but am i the only one that smells smoke? because it's gonna be one mell of a hess. and i aint hatin on you bro.. just saying.. slow down just a tad. think this over.

i want a turbo setup.. but i am gonna wait a couple more years.. and i haven't thought it over yet.
No worries man, I can take helpful advice.
I have thought about doing this for a while. Im in no rush to do this. I plan on researching all winter and figuring everything out to install in the spring.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Boosted Panda

I never said you werent capable, just that there seems to be more for you to learn before jumping straight into this.
Like you said,"I heard", but instead of asking a bunch of random questions and getting misinformation you should do some actual research on the subject.
The ORG has tons of valueable info, and if you search the supercharged/turbocharged section you would get a lot of your answers.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I never said you werent capable, just that there seems to be more for you to learn before jumping straight into this.
Like you said,"I heard", but instead of asking a bunch of random questions and getting misinformation you should do some actual research on the subject.
The ORG has tons of valueable info, and if you search the supercharged/turbocharged section you would get a lot of your answers.
alright man, i understand what your saying no hard feelings
and i will say it again, i have searched and am still searching for information and im not rushing to get this done.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Feel free to PM me with any type of questions you have.

If you have time, you can build a kit how you want it, and are not really confined to how "someone else" built the kit.

-matt
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 AM

I saw a member on the org sellin a used Supercharger kit for 3000. Is that price right? Thats some major cash wtf
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I saw a member on the org sellin a used Supercharger kit for 3000. Is that price right? Thats some major cash wtf
there's also one for 2200 in classifieds right now
you gota pay to play.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Yeah, seriously. That's dirt cheap compared to other supercharged setups I've seen.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Boosted Panda

There is actually three kits being sold,
One for 2k,
http://forums.maxima.org/forced-indu...cessories.html
the 2nd for 2250
http://forums.maxima.org/forced-indu...etup-sale.html
and the third is also for 2K.
http://forums.maxima.org/forced-indu...1-bracket.html
The first and second kit have a lot of extras, and the third kit is till cheaper then what it would cost to put together a kit.
A used blower by itself usually goes for 1K, and a new one is a bit over 2k.
Matty's full starter kit is 1359.00, which is all the hardware need to bolt the blower up.
You would still need to source a BOV, couplers, piping, filter, and a fuel pump. Not to mention gauges if you wanted to see boost and etc. if you wanted to make high PSI
Then theres the EMS to consider for any of the kits.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM

If you don't even know how to install injectors then I'd highly suggest you re-think everything you're about to do.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Boosted Panda

And another http://forums.maxima.org/7259591-post2.html
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

I was in your position a few months ago. Find out the max boost you can run on your stock injectors and go with that for now. That's what I'm doing. I've got a 2.87" pulley but that would require injectors and more tuning so I've decided to run as much boost as I can on stock injectors with a safc 'till I save up some more money for 2.87" supporting mods. This way you can still have enough fun with the sc setup. Factor in money for tuning as well.