4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cylinder #1 misfire-still occurring after spark and coil change! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cylinder #1 misfire-still occurring after spark and coil change! Help please!

PROBLEM:I've been having a little rough idle from time to time on my i30 when I am at a complete stop(at a stop light). The check engine light is not on so it should not be anything too serious. I went to autozone
for code checks and it said misfire on cylinder number 1.

WHAT I'VE DONE: CHANGED SPARK PLUG ON CYLINDER #1, CHANGED COIL PACK ON CYLINDER #1, CLEANED MY INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY IN CASE, PROBLEM STILL OCCURS SOMETIMES.

COULD IT BE: Cylinder 1 FUEL INJECTOR that is the issue?

HELP NEEDED PLEASE THANKS FELLOW MEMBERS
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM

check the coil wiring harness wires from ecu to cylinder.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Throw some fuel injector cleaner in your tank and run 93 octane if you arnt already. Make sure all the wiring is good too. Its almost certainly your injector, theres a good chance injector cleaner will solve your woes but if it remains misfiring ~1 week after using the cleaner you should look into a new injector.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok THANKS! I will get some fuel injector cleaner from autozone and see what happens! thanks! If it occurs again then i will just replace my fuel injector! Although removing the upper intake manifold is gonna suck !
Old 09-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Throw some fuel injector cleaner in your tank and run 93 octane if you arnt already. Make sure all the wiring is good too. Its almost certainly your injector, theres a good chance injector cleaner will solve your woes but if it remains misfiring ~1 week after using the cleaner you should look into a new injector.
Agreed, try some chevron tecron see if it helps...ive had good luck with it!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Babzima
Ok THANKS! I will get some fuel injector cleaner from autozone and see what happens! thanks! If it occurs again then i will just replace my fuel injector! Although removing the upper intake manifold is gonna suck !
Not to be a brand ***** but chevron techron does miracles. Saved me from a multiple cylinder misfire and spending hundreds. For me it took two doses (first one inmediately stopped a misfire but it came and went for a few weeks) so if you see any change with the first round then i highly recommend doing a second before dropping money on an injector.

Be sure to check and recheck the wiring too!

Edit: some recommend doing an oil change after using techron let alone two doses; it might simply be a myth that the cleaner can somehow get into the oil but it can never hurt to be safe!

Last edited by Slamrod; 09-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Autozone (duralast) coil packs suck.

When one of the coil packs on my 96 went, I bought one at autozone. It actually worked!!! For three months. Then it failed. After going through two more autozone coil packs that didn't work, I gave up. The resistance on both of them was way off.

You are honestly better either going to the junk yard and getting a used Hanshin (off something older than a 99) or biting the bullet and going OEM. I picked up two used coil packs for $15 and they both work fine.

I don't know if the coil pack is your problem based on the limited description you gave, but I would bet it is if you put in an autozone coil pack and are still having the same problem.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Autozone (duralast) coil packs suck.

When one of the coil packs on my 96 went, I bought one at autozone. It actually worked!!! For three months. Then it failed. After going through two more autozone coil packs that didn't work, I gave up. The resistance on both of them was way off.

You are honestly better either going to the junk yard and getting a used Hanshin (off something older than a 99) or biting the bullet and going OEM. I picked up two used coil packs for $15 and they both work fine.

I don't know if the coil pack is your problem based on the limited description you gave, but I would bet it is if you put in an autozone coil pack and are still having the same problem.

+1.

I havent heard anything good about AZ coils. I had a misfire issue and hit the Junkyard for a used one. 10 bucks.

Make sure to check voltages to the coil and fuel injector. Go to the yard and pull an injector. THe test is a simple resistance check and its pretty reliable test.

Do a SEARCH for injectors. There is a thread that shows a easier way of removing fuel injectors. You basically "pop" them out

EDIT:

And hell yea! that chevron techron be working miracles! lol. It could just be a dirty injector and that chevron will clean that right up

Last edited by cashoit; 09-23-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 AM

I can do ya one better. Here is the thread for removing an injector easily:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r-removal.html

EDIT:

If the car isnt misfiring under load then it might be the Idle Air control valve. The test for it is also a resistance test. Check that out too.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Well have you fixed it or did you figure it out yet
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Well have you fixed it or did you figure it out yet
Sorry I forgot to keep you all updated! 93 octane with some fuel injector cleaner, my vq30de has been running good! No hesitations! its good to know it was just a fuel injector issue and not something too serious.

Again car is running fine, with no hesitations! if it persists I just will have to Change my fuel injector on cylinder #1!

Reached 260k miles recently ^_^ ! Thanks fellow members!

Hope my i30 will power through 300k miles!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Have the save problem in #4, pity Chevron isn't anywhere near me.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gruesome
Have the save problem in #4, pity Chevron isn't anywhere near me.
I'm using fuel STP fuel injector cleaner from autozone! hopefully there is one near by!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Babzima
I'm using fuel STP fuel injector cleaner from autozone! hopefully there is one near by!
They now (probably forever) sell chevron tecron at walmart!!...pretty cheap too!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Ford Taurus Problem (POSSIBLY WHAT COULD HAPPEN IN YOUR NISSAN)

- Cylinder misfire, customer replaces plugs,wires,coilpack.

TSB from ALLDATA - Piston is no good in cylinder. must replace Piston