4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Next step for 95 Max engine probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Next step for 95 Max engine probs

So my 95 maxima (150,000 miles) started running rough and going dead at idle or when coasting and idle. I checked the forums here, and It needed some maintenance so I went ahead and replaced the plugs, fuel filter, and PCV valve hoping that might resolve the problem. It didn't.

I had an EGR code (302) so I went ahead and cleaned the MAF (with MAF cleaner - its only a couple years old) & took off and cleaned the TB, IACV, EGR tube etc.. The EGR tube was completely blocked. I made sure to clear out where the EGR tube connected to the engine body also. Put it all back together and started it up..

If anything the engine ran worse. I put in some new gas and seafoam hoping the engine might burn through some junk and clear up. However, it seemed to run worse, and was even doing some bucking/surging when I was driving that day. (the RPM didn't change during the surging though).

I let the car sit for a few days and started it up today. The exhaust was dark and smelled oily/gassy, but I couldn't really tell if it was just oil or carbon etc..

I'm looking for what I should try next. Any ideas?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ck1995
I had an EGR code (302) so I went ahead and cleaned the MAF (with MAF cleaner - its only a couple years old) & took off and cleaned the TB, IACV, EGR tube etc.. The EGR tube was completely blocked. I made sure to clear out where the EGR tube connected to the engine body also. Put it all back together and started it up..
Did you use seafoam throughout the engine? I had a small problem when i first seafoamed my 99 max, i did it again and the problem was solved only that time i did it through the brake booster line. My personal opinion the worse thing you could have done was let it sit. whatever was in there could have settled and hardened up. Try seafoaming through the brake booster and go for a decent drive. Whatever is in there should burn out. Check engine light will probably come on due to the **** flying out through the exhaust.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by EvanMax41
Did you use seafoam throughout the engine? I had a small problem when i first seafoamed my 99 max, i did it again and the problem was solved only that time i did it through the brake booster line. My personal opinion the worse thing you could have done was let it sit. whatever was in there could have settled and hardened up. Try seafoaming through the brake booster and go for a decent drive. Whatever is in there should burn out. Check engine light will probably come on due to the **** flying out through the exhaust.

I just put the seafoam in the gas tank. I'll take a look at what you are talking about. It definitely is worse now
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM

any codes, and i would run through brake booster as suggested. run that tank dry and put some premium in with some chevron techron. the dealer even uses that in my area for problematic issues with idle and etc. it is the fluid of teh gods.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41
any codes, and i would run through brake booster as suggested. run that tank dry and put some premium in with some chevron techron. the dealer even uses that in my area for problematic issues with idle and etc. it is the fluid of teh gods.

No codes yet. I've only driven about 20 miles on the tank (have 91 premium and seafoam in the gas now) after I did the cleaning work on the maf, TB, IACV, EGR. I'm not sure if it will run out on the road right now after I've let it sit. It is running very rough now and goes dead immediately when I let off the gas. I'll try the seafoam through the brake booster and see how it goes.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM

post a video of the problem.what you need to do is next time it stalls check and see if you are getting spark, if yes, you might have a fuel delivery issue. have you changed the fuel filter?? also, pop the hood and check to make sure everything is plugged in, we have harness issues with these cars and a slight twist might cause a short.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41
post a video of the problem.what you need to do is next time it stalls check and see if you are getting spark, if yes, you might have a fuel delivery issue. have you changed the fuel filter?? also, pop the hood and check to make sure everything is plugged in, we have harness issues with these cars and a slight twist might cause a short.

Ok, I'll do that. I've replaced the plugs, fuel filter, and PCV valve so far. I don't think the fuel pump has ever been replaced, so not sure about that. I went through everything I had messed with the other day and didn't find anything unplugged so far.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Ok, I'll do that. I've replaced the plugs, fuel filter, and PCV valve so far. I don't think the fuel pump has ever been replaced, so not sure about that. I went through everything I had messed with the other day and didn't find anything unplugged so far.
the fuel pump will make a distinctive whine sometimes, most times they just fail without warning. so, thats a possibility. here's a link on how to test fuel delivery. http://www.ehow.com/how_4520262_chec...an-maxima.html

Last edited by max ride 41; 12-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iacv possibly gone bad...

update so far. I've been letting the car sit. Had a mechanic friend come over with gear that could read all the codes and voltages and he thinks the IACV solenoid or connector has gone bad. I'm going to replace the IACV unit next.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think so ,I just put the seafoam in the gas tank. I'll take a look at what you are talking about. It definitely is worse now
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem Solved.

update so far. I've been letting the car sit. Had a mechanic friend come over with gear that could read all the codes and voltages and he thinks the IACV solenoid or connector has gone bad. I'm going to replace the IACV unit next.

It was a bad MAF. I had just replaced it a couple of years ago, and the symptoms were completely different this time. Had a mechanic check it out and he happened to have a good MAF on hand. It's running like a champ now.