4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Found a free way w/o additional parts to get louder exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM

Found a free way w/o additional parts to get louder exhaust!

This is one awesome forum! I thought I would share this it's pretty funny.
I bought my max a couple of weeks ago I love this thing so much already. When I got it, the max is SUPER QUITE especially compared to my old diesel benz, damn that crap was loud lol.

Some time last week I get in the car and I noticed its not as quite as before. It was sounding beefier and I even had to turn off the radio to listen to the engine purrr, was nice so im thinking what the hell is going on i love this sound but why, oh, why do i have this sound out of no where? A few days ago I'm checking under the car and the MUFFLER IS DISCONNECTED! the **** just rusted off! so where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler its cut off right there. I think im gonna keep it like this and just do a full after market exhaust. Any disadvantages to keeping it like this? the sound grew on me!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM

as long as the cops dont nab you you should be fine. if the break is up on the Y-pipe it might cause you to burn some valves due to the cold air hitting the hot exhaust valves when you shut the car off. with the break that far back the air has more than enough heat not to do any damage when it hits the valves.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Just the tip.

Really? You like the sound of the exhaust without the muffler? Its not too raspy and Civic-y for you?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM

buy a N1 muffler/exhaust if you like that sound then real deep but prolly raspy enough for you and relatively cheap on ebay
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM

I had to get some bolts replaced on my muffler not long ago, due to one rusting off. Before i got the bolts replaced however, i went ahead and took the muffler off, because it was hitting my rear bumper and causing damage (it already looks bad, dont want to make it worse, hehe). I lliked the sound, it was really not too loud at all, and to me, didnt sound rice. But, i did see a drop in mpg, which still puzzles me. I replaced the muffler and its bolts, now with it all back together, i get my 340 miles to the 3/4 tank(without to muffler i got around 280 to the 3/4 tank). Again, that puzzles me, i didnt think an exhause "leak" that far back would cause a drop in mpg, perhaps i am ill-informed?

Thats my two-cents.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This same exact thing happened to me a few days ago. So far I've completely removed my muffler, and i have to say, it sounds awesome, but I have yet to decide whether or not to find a performance muffler or find a replacement. According to the dealer, the 20th Anniversary Edition has a different muffler? The part number of the muffler that rusted off is 20100-3Y370. But I'm thinking of ordering a cheap one off ebay (80-90 dollars shipped) and seeing how well that works. If i dont like it I think I will try to put a stillen hi- flow on it. Anyone have any thing to say about this?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Dude.... Why can't anyone spell this word?

It's spelled "Quiet"
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Believe it or not, the Maxima is pretty quiet without the muffler. There was a member here that had a straight pipe from the cat on back, no muffler. It was quiet when idling and sounded like an aftermarket exhaust when he was accelerating.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Really? You like the sound of the exhaust without the muffler? Its not too raspy and Civic-y for you?
I had a civic and it doesn't really sound civic-y. Its really quiet at idle and doesn't sound rice while accelerating, just sounds like I have an after market one, which I like.
Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Dude.... Why can't anyone spell this word?

It's spelled "Quiet"
Doh! Oh man I'm glad at least you caught it and pointed it out. I've been starved at work...cognitive function...declining....filled with hunger.. lol

People don't buy cheap ones from fleabay! It's your max your talking about a few more bucks won't kill. They're probably made out of asbestos and give your maxima the AIDS. Just my two cents

Any affordable performance exhaust that people recommend? I'll probably just end up searching the forums lol

Last edited by Revo75; 08-31-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM

This happened to a friend of mine, and I thought it sounded AWFUL. I mean, to each his own, but I would spend some money on a nice exhaust if you're into that...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM

actually, i had my exhaust pipe broken before the muffler as well, i kinda went down in a ditch when i got snow blind.. and mine sounded really nice as well. A Very Nice Growl to it.. But i wont say i kept it, i went about 3 months later and had the entire exhaust went over and fixed.. New muffler ect...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey im new here.have a 99se silver/gray.have the same prob with my clock. im tryin to hook my car up.had it for some time now and have round 170k on it.love the car and wanna dress it up.maybe start with a cool air intake....any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM

I remember I had an exhaust leak when I got my max, it sounded awesome. Then got the whole thing replaced, so quiet now..
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when i bought my 98 se last year it sounded great, it was a bit louder than the other stock ones but still nowhere near loud, and not ricey either, it just sounded nice and it let you know it was there, i brought it to my schools lift in the auto shop to do my y pipe and i noticed the muffler was completely disconnected due to rust like the op. I agree it sounds great and is free, might even help air flow a tiny bit, but in the end I welded mine back on, and now you cant hear it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM

My car was the same way when i got it. It was rusted where the pipe meets the rear muffler. I love the way it sounds, its quiet on idle and its sounds really good on throttle. its not too loud, its perfect LO!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM

wanna kno what sounds awesome? torn flex pipe, rusted cat, rusted resonator, cracked b pipe, no muffler. Every honda wanted to race me.. of course with all my added hp from the custom free flow exhaust (lol); they couldnt keep up, even with that v-tach

o i almost forgot.. who needs exhaust mounts when youve got mechanics wire.... seedbumps FTL
Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM

haha seems like this is more common than I thought! I love that it doesn't sound ricey its really quiet at idle and just sounds so nice and smooth its not even funny. Its saying: hey I'm here I'm not too loud but I'll ****ing bite your face off and make you eat my dust if you even dare me to WOT! lol

I'm gonna keep it like this for a bit but I do plan on a full after market exhaust, first I'm gonna take care of all the preventive car stuff. I want this baby running perfect brand new status without the muffler then I'll worry about the exhaust.
Does anyone know if it's illegal to take the muffler off? its just hanging there...weight reduction ftw! lmao
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM

yea it doesnt sound to ricey w/o a muffler. i love the setup ive got now tho, sounds so nice.

i think NJ has some wierd rules about exhaust, i would check it out just to make sure. I dont think its loud enough for u to get pulled over b/c of it but if you get pulled over and you get a d*ck cop he might give u some crap for it.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Terrence T
hey im new here.have a 99se silver/gray.have the same prob with my clock. im tryin to hook my car up.had it for some time now and have round 170k on it.love the car and wanna dress it up.maybe start with a cool air intake....any suggestions?

What in the F*** are you talking about?

o_O

where does a clock come in at this point?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
What in the F*** are you talking about?

o_O

where does a clock come in at this point?
/agree

back OT.
i miss my exhaust when i first got my car, had a hole right after the resonator , 2 months later my resonator fell off on the highway providing lulzy night sparks( i picked it up dont worry)

replaced it with a nice quiet reso. now all the looks i get are from my short ram
Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Thats funny right after I read this thread yesterday a muffler broke off of one of the Go-Karts my nephew has, and I have to admit that wimpy lawn mower engine has never sounded so beastly!

I am jealous now because now my 8 year old nephew can ride up next to my car and rev his engine and the exhaust can actually over power the sound of my car.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Thats funny right after I read this thread yesterday a muffler broke off of one of the Go-Karts my nephew has, and I have to admit that wimpy lawn mower engine has never sounded so beastly!

I am jealous now because now my 8 year old nephew can ride up next to my car and rev his engine and the exhaust can actually over power the sound of my car.

thats awesome
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 AM

to be trueley honest i sometimes miss how quiet the max used to be.