4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my 96 5spd, couple problems....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my 96 5spd, couple problems....

So, I just recently bought a 96 se 5spd with 185k on it. The car was in pretty good condition. Came with auto climate control, sunroof, leather heated seat (driver side heater doesn't work.) It's that really dark green that almost looks black, it's an ok color I guess. The paint is good, side moldings are cracking and peeling pretty bad. Interior is good except for the stains in the carpet and the hole in the floor mat from all that salty snow haha. Alsom some scuffs here and the plastic that I think should come off. It spent all but the last 3 months of it's life in michigan. Now it's here in AZ with me! So far all I've done is replace the AC compressor ($750.)

First problem, emissions....
ok so I've taken it 4 times to get tested and while it's not being "failed" it's being "rejected." It's saying the OBDII is "not ready." So I took it to a nissan service guy to enlighten me on this. He said that for some reason the ECU was reset and it needs to go through a drive cycle. I'm familiar with what this is but I did some research and from reading it looks like the drive cycle should be complete after about 3-400 miles of normal driving.... I've driven it about 1500 miles now with mixed driving and it's still being rejected for the same thing. What the heck do I do now?!

Anyway, I plan on taking it to a checker or autozone to have them run a diagnostics and see if there's any codes. I'm sure there's a code because it will stall out at times while driving, and sometimes when I start it up. Also, when I'm on the freeway cruising at 70mph it will sometimes "buck" or "kick." what gives? any help would be great.

Also my other problem is that the undercarrige is pretty rusted, Mostly underneath the motor area and especially the core support beam for the radiator as well as on top of the engine bay.

I'm heading out to a friend of mines house to do some cleaning on the MAF, EGR, and TB to hopefully fix the stalling problem. I may pick up some new gaskets up as well. Also, we'll replace the spark plugs, check the coil packs and injectors if we can. It has a standard Stillen cone filter on it but luckily I was given the stock airbox. I'll slap that bad boy on there as well.

So ya, any help would be much appreciated. I'm glad to be back in a maxima again (this being my 3rd) and I really wanted to do some modding to it (coilovers, exhaust and such) Is this worth modding or is this going to be a problem car? I know some pics may help but let me know guys.

thanks again guys

Kevin
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Don't rely on 'normal' driving to complete the drive cycle. Take a half hour or so, and complete the drive cycle per the FSM.

If you're sure there's a code, why not just check it yourself? Takes 30 seconds to do...

Just because it has some symptoms doesn't mean in any way that there'll be codes thrown. It's entirely possible (and somewhat common) to get one without the other.

Without more of a description of the symptoms you're having, we can't be of much help.

Worth modding? Completely up to you.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks for some feedback.... I do appreciate it.

So we check the spark plugs, injectors and coil packs, everything seems to be pretty new. We then cleaned the cone filter (which was dirty to the extreme) then cleaned the MAF which wasn't too bad, then changed the fuel filter. One of these fixes seemed to fix my stalling problem. I then took it to autozone and there were no codes (thank god.) Just need to get this drive cycle figured out. I do have a thick FSM that I'll look at before I go to bed and see what it says.

As for the rust....really not that bad actually. The core support for the radiator is the worst part but the undercarriage is a lot cleaner than I thought. Maybe I was expecting the worst....