4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are these things ok ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:48 PM

Are these things ok ?

Hi
1-Is it healthy (not harmful) for the automatic transmition when I stop the car and ready to park and leave it , to move the lever from D to N , then stop the engine ........THEN move from N to P to take out the key ?

2-Can I clean the throttle body without taking it out (cleaning both sides of butterfly by moving the throttle open and spray it with throttle spray cleaner ?

3-Can I close the doors by the remote control from outside the car when the engine is running ?

Thanks alot
Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
No more Maximas...

1. Yes, it's fine. But...why? Making an extra step for yourself, IMO. It's no 'healthier' than doing it normally
  2. Yes, you can clean the TB without removing it, many do.
  3. IIRC no, it won't allow you to lock the doors with anything but the key while there's a key in the ignition. This keeps you from locking yourself out accidentally. This is based on memory though, haven't used the stock keyless entry in years.

You can just have a copy made, keep it in your wallet (that's what I do). Personally I just use my remote start, has a turbo timer function and I can lock the doors while it's running that way, but IIRC not with the key in the ignition (never tried, honestly).
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 PM

the last time i tried, the car will not unlock or lock with the keyless remote while the car is running. The reason why i know this is because i tried it (with the windows down of course). main reason was because the keyless remote ring broke off and is just always in my pocket rather than on the keys itself. So i wanted to know what would happen if i happened to lock myself out with the car running, the only solution is to either call AAA, or go home and get a spare key.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
  1. Yes, it's fine. But...why? Making an extra step for yourself, IMO. It's no 'healthier' than doing it normally
  2. Yes, you can clean the TB without removing it, many do.
  3. IIRC no, it won't allow you to lock the doors with anything but the key while there's a key in the ignition. This keeps you from locking yourself out accidentally. This is based on memory though, haven't used the stock keyless entry in years.

You can just have a copy made, keep it in your wallet (that's what I do). Personally I just use my remote start, has a turbo timer function and I can lock the doors while it's running that way, but IIRC not with the key in the ignition (never tried, honestly).
Regrading the throttle body , don't you think that the gunk and dirt will go down into the hoses and tubes that are connected to the throttle body from the buttom ?if not removed ?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
if i happened to lock myself out with the car running, the only solution is to either call AAA, or go home and get a spare key.
If you lock yourself out with the car running the cops will open it, or they will here at least.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM

1. It's not harmful, but it is kinda pointless. When i park my GLE. I stop the car, put the car into neutral, pull the handbrake up, release the footbrake, put the gear into park, and then turn the car off. The point to that exercise is make sure the car is resting on the parking brake all the time, and not the tranny. It doesn't hurt the tranny to park the car without the parking brake, but if you use it as i do, then it makes it easier to get the lever out of park when you're ready to move the car again.

2. you dont have to take it out, but you might get a better cleaning job done if you do.

3. I've never tried it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
1. It's not harmful, but it is kinda pointless. When i park my GLE. I stop the car, put the car into neutral, pull the handbrake up, release the footbrake, put the gear into park, and then turn the car off. The point to that exercise is make sure the car is resting on the parking brake all the time, and not the tranny. It doesn't hurt the tranny to park the car without the parking brake, but if you use it as i do, then it makes it easier to get the lever out of park when you're ready to move the car again.

2. you dont have to take it out, but you might get a better cleaning job done if you do.

3. I've never tried it.
I pretty much agree with TLMNICK, I usually do this (stop the car-neutral-handbrake-park) on my auto tranny as well to make sure that my parking brakes' always working.