4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Easy Knock Sensor Installation! Picture Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by zagato27
Well, it's time for me to replace my KS AND an O2 sensor. Least that's what the code reader says. Glad to find this thread with the info and the pictures. Took the "bull by the horns" and went str8t to eBay. Ordered a ks for about $22 from a vendor and immediately got back a reply that my order was placed. It's free shipping from Wisconsin I believe so it will probably take a bit to get here. After I get it and install it I'll come back with my .02

As to the O2 sensor. I checked with Courtesy Nissan in TX and they want $129. Geeeeesh. Again, looking on eBay. Much more reasonable. Anybody suggest one? I'm thinking the Denso O2 sensor. Cheers
Update: got an email from the eBay vendor, ks shipped today. Fast, I like!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 PM

ahh i just did it, took me bout 2 hours..hardest part was getting the bolt loose, and fitting your hand inside ther, no bleeding, but torn skin..scratches. got my sensor from ebay 22 shipped.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ntaxi7

CHECKOUT VIDEO..
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 AM

i have to replace my KS, one of the symptom because the engine hard to accelerate, have to push deep gas pedal to make it move (about 1 inch pedal movement). but before that i try to install 550K ohm resistor as on other thread. It succeed temporarily. After turn off and on engine again, it hard to accelerate again. I try to ohmed the harness socket on the front engine side end (not at the KS end) with the KS unplugged, it come to surprising 550K ohm...so it means i dont need to plug the KS...it already 550K ohm? the results is the engine back to its live...easy to accelerate...only need to push 1/2 inch pedal movement...so how wierd this can be?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:24 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bebekhijau
i have to replace my KS, one of the symptom because the engine hard to accelerate, have to push deep gas pedal to make it move (about 1 inch pedal movement). but before that i try to install 550K ohm resistor as on other thread. It succeed temporarily. After turn off and on engine again, it hard to accelerate again. I try to ohmed the harness socket on the front engine side end (not at the KS end) with the KS unplugged, it come to surprising 550K ohm...so it means i dont need to plug the KS...it already 550K ohm? the results is the engine back to its live...easy to accelerate...only need to push 1/2 inch pedal movement...so how wierd this can be?
could be a bad harness, I know my local nissan dealer has it in stock. I was going to replace mine, but the dealer is closed today
Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Just finished replacing my knock sensor on my 98 maxima. I bought on ebay for $48 from tennesseeautosales. Its oem so I had piece of mind knowing it was stock. There are two things that i definetly needed to do the job. One was a swivel socket wrench and two was PATIENCE. I have very large hands so it was impossible for me to fit my hands into that small space. And I was not about two start taking apart other components. The only thing i did disconnect was the one green sensor so id have a little more work space but not much more. Taking off the screw was not bad but it would be impossible if I didnt have the swivel wrench and extensions. The most difficult part of the job was putting the sensor back into place. Since the sensor has a hole in the center for mounting, I used a hanger through that hole to reach the sensor into place. I bent the hanger at an angle that would allow me to put the end of the hanger into the engine block hole for mounting. Then the next challenge was to put the screw into the hole of the sensor and screw it into the enging block without the screw falling out of socket and displacing the sensor from position. What i did to keep the screw on socket? I put a plastic sheet on the head of screw so it fit snug into the socket(cut excess plastic so i can see). It worked great! It didnt fall out and allowed me to reach and put the screw into place. After taking breather to regain my patience and focus, i started to slowly turn the wrench until it FINALLY grab to the engine block. The job took me a total of about 2-2.5 hours. Thanks to all you guys my fellow maxima enthusiast I was able to complete the job. Great info guys
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by felorojas14
Just finished replacing my knock sensor on my 98 maxima. I bought on ebay for $48 from tennesseeautosales. Its oem so I had piece of mind knowing it was stock. There are two things that i definetly needed to do the job. One was a swivel socket wrench and two was PATIENCE. I have very large hands so it was impossible for me to fit my hands into that small space. And I was not about two start taking apart other components. The only thing i did disconnect was the one green sensor so id have a little more work space but not much more. Taking off the screw was not bad but it would be impossible if I didnt have the swivel wrench and extensions. The most difficult part of the job was putting the sensor back into place. Since the sensor has a hole in the center for mounting, I used a hanger through that hole to reach the sensor into place. I bent the hanger at an angle that would allow me to put the end of the hanger into the engine block hole for mounting. Then the next challenge was to put the screw into the hole of the sensor and screw it into the enging block without the screw falling out of socket and displacing the sensor from position. What i did to keep the screw on socket? I put a plastic sheet on the head of screw so it fit snug into the socket(cut excess plastic so i can see). It worked great! It didnt fall out and allowed me to reach and put the screw into place. After taking breather to regain my patience and focus, i started to slowly turn the wrench until it FINALLY grab to the engine block. The job took me a total of about 2-2.5 hours. Thanks to all you guys my fellow maxima enthusiast I was able to complete the job. Great info guys
Just finished replacing my knock sensor. I had scoured the forums and found this thread and it was a big help. I also watched the youtube video about replacing the ks. Pretty nice of that guy to do that. I wasn't quite as inventive in replacing the sensor but I did have help. Lots of help. My two sons were there to help and critique. First I remove that big plastic housing that goes to the MAF to get it out of the way. A couple of clamps and removed a couple of hoses and it was out of the way. Took off the air cleaner box too. (I have been meaning to change oil and air filter but have been R&Ding it (that's "Research & Delay) Noted that the air filter was gross. After taking care of that I got out my ratchet and extension and universal. Well, the bolt was a bit tight. "Barked" my hand on some sharp piece of engine and then it gave. Thought I might have rounded off the bolt but it was ok. The trouble started when my cheap a** universal broke. Course it broke while way in there. So, I had the ks out and still connect to the wiring harness but the socket and universal were still there. Time for son #2. My 13 yr old has small hands and was able to reach in their and grab the socket and universal. But the pin on the universal was still in there. Time for son #1 (zagato27 jr) to help out. He was able to reach in their and get the pin out. He was also able to get the new ks (bought off eBay for a shopping $22) back in place and snugged down. Then it was off to Advance Auto to pick up a new air filter, oil filter (both Purolator Pure One's) and a new universal. Back home, tightened the ks up to German specs....gut & tight, and everything was fine. Lastly, I hooked up myb OBDII scanner and am now down to the check engine soon light with only a code P0136...downstream O2 sensor. That's my next project, well change oil will be first.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM

The folks who are buying the sub $20 KS, how does it work out? Is the part good quality or does it need replacing again and again? It seems the OEM part is $40.50 + $5 in shipping v/s the knock off one which is $15.95 + $4.95

Is it worth it to save the money or should we just get the OEM one?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Is the motorvate site still up? It's take forever to load?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CEL 3 CODES

Originally Posted by DIAMONDS98SE
I also pulled the evap and ks codes the other day. P0325 and P1447. My mpg is still ok, kinda varries between 22 and 31, and engine seems to run smooth. You think I should replace my knock sensor? Any suggestions on how the evap code could be fixed?

Last weekend my CEL came on after I got gas. So, I went to Advance Auto and have them check my codes. they were as followed:

P0440 - EVAP small leak/no flow condition
Probable causes-1) Defective or loose fuel cap
2) EVAP canister or hose cracked/not connected
3) Purge or vent solenoid defective
4) Vacuum leak at engine

P1448 - EVAP canister vent control valve (open)
Probable causes-1) Failed canister vent solenoid
2) Failed EVAP pressure sensor

P0325 - Knock sensor condition
Probable causes-1) Knock sensor defective
2) Check connector and wiring to sensor
3) Engine mechanical condition

I figured that the P0440 code was from a loose gas cap. since, the CEL came on after I got gas. (Thanks a lot gas station attendant!) I just ordered a new KS from eBay but, I'm not sure what to do about the P1448 code. Will this code go away once I change the KS? If the EVAP is a separate issue, how do I change or fix the EVAP?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM

My knock sensor went bad last week, this helped alot, thanks man
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the information

I have to do my O2 and KS this week so this information is helpful. Are there any vids of a Cal spec KS? I will ise the flex socket method and see how that turns out.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 9t5max
I have to do my O2 and KS this week so this information is helpful. Are there any vids of a Cal spec KS? I will ise the flex socket method and see how that turns out.
Sorry to break it to you, but you're screwed being you have a Cal spec Max. You better have really really really small hands/wrists/arms or else the upper intake manifold, fuel rail etc are coming off. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gr96gle
Just did mine yesterday. I was able to get the old one off with the techniques above, but there was no way to get my hand in to start screwing the bolt back in. I tried jamming my hand in there, but a wrist laceration would have cost me more at the emergency room than I stood to save on this one.

Solution, I loosened the connector block that sits right in front of the access area. There is a 10mm nut on the underside of the connector block. I loosened it until I could tilt the connector about 1/2 inch. Then I could cram my hand in fairly easily and start the bolt. I will post pictures.

GR
This post right here saved my A**!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! That damn green connector kept me from doing the changeover last year, but I had to do it today because my car failed emissions because of it. Took me two hours, but I will confirm that once you remove this, your hand CAN fit in the little area.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
PX2
Newbie - Just Registered

This write up was helpful. Thanks man, I'm sure you saved me a couple hundred bucks. I would have been pissed if I paid more than $25 for this job.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 9t5max

Your profile says that you have a 95 cali spec.
Changing the knock sensor on a 95 cali spec is as easy/hard as changing a knock sensor on any other 4th gen max. From what I understand, only the 99 cali spec has the extra few skin graters/zesters in the vicinity.

Last edited by nhaven; 02-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM

To everyone still struggling, frustrated, feel like your hands are too big, DO NOT GIVE UP. The little green connector thing with the 10 mm underneath it holding it in place? Remove it like the guy above said (10mm gearwrench is helpful). Now, use a box end 12 mm (non ratcheting), preferably one where the box end half of the combo wrench is angled. Slide the wrench in, you may have to go underneath all the hoses and stuff where you unbolted the 10 mm. Get the wrench to seat with it angled just toward the front of the engine bay (your left). Mine cracked on the first try. Then I slid in the gearwrench ratcheting 12 mm box end (the box end half on this one is flat, not angled, not as good as a leverage advantage) and then ratchet it off. By the time you have cracked the KS bolt, it might be too loose for the ratchet to work and it might be easier to undo by hand (I don't know if easier is the right word lol).

But anyways, I know the 4th gen maxima is one of the most frustrating vehicles to work on. All the senior members that claim **** with our cars is easy? THEYRE WRONG, IM CALLING THEM OUT. Ive never worked on any other car where every freaking thing you try to remove is just 2 inches out of reach. So don't get discouraged, because its NOT easy, this car is one of the biggest headaches I've ever owned, its also the most fun car I've ever owned at the same time. I have rather big hands, but at the same time my fingers are VERY long which helped my case.

As for the swivel technique, I bet that works well too. Unfortunately I only have sockets, extensions and u-joints, no swivel wrench.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ordered the OEM senser on ebay for $52. Took a little thinking, but was able to use the 12mm box wrench and a hammer handle to break the bolt loose(30 minutes) then my 11 yr old son reached in and unscrewed it. I replaced, he reinstalled then I tightened(30 min total). I didn't remove or bend anything. Took it out for a spin and the tq is back... awesome.
I can't imagine being a shade tree mechanic in the recent past, Haynes, Chilton... shoot me in the face, they are just this side of useless. I've used this site to trouble shoot and repair, CV axles, water pump, injector, starter, tensioner assembly ect. ect. ect.

Thanks for the write up and pics.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM

The instructions said to tighten the knock sensor slightly by hand. Don't you have to tighten it back up with the 12 mm wrench?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
The instructions said to tighten the knock sensor slightly by hand. Don't you have to tighten it back up with the 12 mm wrench?
When I changed mine, I hand screwed it first then used the socket to give it a slight turn just to make it snug. If you turn it too hard you can crack the sensor.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 AM

jus dont overtorque it. It should be fine
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 AM

Okay guys, I really need some advice.

I have a '99 cali spec I30. Bone stock with 167,xxx mi.

My knock sensor is bad, but the thing is, it's pretty much impossible to get to on my car because there is this "swirl valve actuator" or some BS in the way.

The shop wants $150+ for the labor of taking off the upper intake manifold (F**K THAT).

I am not very keen on using the resistor bypass because this car is old, and what if somehow regular gas was put in the tank? That would be terrible.

This leads me to relocating the knock sensor. Where would I put it? There are some nice places on the IM, but I'm worried the fuel injectors will make it think there's knock. I've heard of using the firewall, but it won't hear any knock because the motor is isolated.

Any suggestions? Really need help because my 0-60 mph time is 9.0 seconds, and 0-100 is like 30 seconds. It's horrible, my car has no ***** past 2nd gear. I know the slush box isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it's *MY* slushbox, and I love it anyway. Please help.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by v3rtex7740
Okay guys, I really need some advice.

I have a '99 cali spec I30. Bone stock with 167,xxx mi.

My knock sensor is bad, but the thing is, it's pretty much impossible to get to on my car because there is this "swirl valve actuator" or some BS in the way.

The shop wants $150+ for the labor of taking off the upper intake manifold (F**K THAT).

I am not very keen on using the resistor bypass because this car is old, and what if somehow regular gas was put in the tank? That would be terrible.

This leads me to relocating the knock sensor. Where would I put it? There are some nice places on the IM, but I'm worried the fuel injectors will make it think there's knock. I've heard of using the firewall, but it won't hear any knock because the motor is isolated.

Any suggestions? Really need help because my 0-60 mph time is 9.0 seconds, and 0-100 is like 30 seconds. It's horrible, my car has no ***** past 2nd gear. I know the slush box isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it's *MY* slushbox, and I love it anyway. Please help.
$150 is a very fair price. I suggest you pay it, unless you have the tools and the time to do the job yourself. Being it's your first time, it will probably take 4 hours. Relocation is a poor idea, because once you replace it, I bet it will outlast your car as it will most likely be the last time you replace it.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 AM

150 is a dope price for KS labor. If you do the replacement per the FSM, then its gonna take a mechanic least 2 hrs to do it, and thatsa generous time estimate.

My only concern is the price may be a lil too low. Are u sure these guys are competent? If they screw up the bolt patterns on the UIM they run the risk of ruining the intake lips. Be careful man
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM

i like my '99 less now..... s o a b.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 PM

nice maybe i should look into replacing mine just for the hell of it lol
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Just changed my knock sensor 2 days ago
Thanks for the guides guys!

Now only 2 more CEL codes to get rid off
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Can anyone refer a good mech or shop in NJ to get my KS replaced or other stuff repaired???
Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM

i know funny!

i got priced 570 they wanted to remove the manifold...so i said
!!!!what!!!F U ima go online found a vid on youtube and 15 min. after i saw the vid i was done
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM

I can't believe the Haynes manual tells you to take the whole intake manifold off. Yet they say that you can take the PCV valve out without disconnecting anything.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Hopefully, this will be my first DIY job! I ordered a knock sensor, 12mm comb. wrench to do this.. hopefully i can reach it with my skinny arms and long fingers. Otherwise, i'll have to buy a locking extension bar set for my socket wrench.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Knock Sensor 1, Me 0 ....Knock sensor takes the first round. I took off the green connector, then tried to unscrew the ks with a comb. wrench, then tried with a socket wrench but i just couldnt get it to reach the screw, so frustrating!! and the place is so damn narrow...
I'm looking to buy a wobble angle extension bar set, do you think it would be more easier with it??? I'm looking to buy this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-9-Piece-..._bxgy_hi_img_c
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Hey guys I just got a knock sensor from Ebay for $17 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OE-Ni...Q5fAccessories

I went to autozone to get something else for the car and just out of curiousity I asked how much one cost he said like $150 I laughed and said Ill get one of Ebay for 17 bucks thankyou very much. LOL.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

i got the same on from the same seller. didn't test mine yet, but if you have a problem with yours, contact chandlermotorsports. it's their account as well.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Ive got the extensions and u-joint socket, and I am able to get the u-joint onto the ks bolt, but when I turn the ratchet, it doesn't turn horizontally, it tries to turn vertically until it pops off of the bolt. I watch pmohr's video, and I dont understand why his worked so flawlessly, but when I do it, it keeps turning vertically instead of horizontally unscrewing. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
Ive got the extensions and u-joint socket, and I am able to get the u-joint onto the ks bolt, but when I turn the ratchet, it doesn't turn horizontally, it tries to turn vertically until it pops off of the bolt. I watch pmohr's video, and I dont understand why his worked so flawlessly, but when I do it, it keeps turning vertically instead of horizontally unscrewing. Any ideas?
Make sure the it's seated on the ks bolt evenly. Also try moving the extensions to a different angle. The U-joint worked flawlessly for me as well
Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mistertones
Make sure the it's seated on the ks bolt evenly. Also try moving the extensions to a different angle. The U-joint worked flawlessly for me as well
Yea, I made sure each time it was seated evenly.

This is what happens when I turn the ratchet

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=VID00017.mp4

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-05-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i spent an hour on sunday in the heat with a regular ol' wrench and a small socket wrench trying to get this thing done. after gnarling up my hand nicely, i still failed at breaking the bastard loose. went to sears last night, bought a 14" extension and a flexible socket. spent an hour this morning trying, still no luck. looked up the video for doing and took me another ten, maybe fifteen minutes to break the bolt loose, pop the the sensor out, drop the lil metal retention clip in the engine bay, knock it down to two other spots by accident, and then finally get that ish back in there. thanks for all the guides, it's much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM

I will be doing it this weekend. I have a regular wrench and a stubby wrench to start with...

Anyways I was wondering if it is safe to spray some PB on the bolt to try and make it easier to take off?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Flanman
i spent an hour on sunday in the heat with a regular ol' wrench and a small socket wrench trying to get this thing done. after gnarling up my hand nicely, i still failed at breaking the bastard loose. went to sears last night, bought a 14" extension and a flexible socket. spent an hour this morning trying, still no luck. looked up the video for doing and took me another ten, maybe fifteen minutes to break the bolt loose, pop the the sensor out, drop the lil metal retention clip in the engine bay, knock it down to two other spots by accident, and then finally get that ish back in there. thanks for all the guides, it's much appreciated.
So when you tried the last time, after watching the videos, what did you do different, if anything?

EDIT: OMG!!!! I did what you did, and gave it one more try. I put the socket on there, and pushed as hard as I could, and I damn near fell lol. I put the socket back on, and it felt loose. So I jiggle the harness, and it shakes a little. So I put my hand in there (my hands are skinny, so no cuts for me lol) and I just unscrewed it lol! I replaced it, and drove to advanced auto parts. The code was still there, along with my 02 sensor, and the p1400 egr solenoid code. I forgot to plug the egr solenoid back in after unplugging it to reach down there. So I had the codes erased. I know the 02 sensor code will come back up, Im having that replaced later this month. Will the 02 sensor code trigger the ks code? If not I may need to replace the subharness too FML....but at least I was able to change the knock sensor lol

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-08-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Easy Knock Sensor Installation! Picture Tutorial