4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C compressor bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

A/C compressor bearing replacement?

The ac compressor makes a loud noise as soon as you turn on the engine. I believe its a bearing. Is it possible to replace just that bearing or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Last edited by The Godfather; 05-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
boost me.....

Are you sure its not your alternator? I had the same problem, a loud, whining noise (the sound of the bearing going out)...

I replaced my alty with a used one for $60 and she runs and sounds like a champ
Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

Ive already replaced the alternator because it wasnt charging the battery, and the noise was still there. So I assume its the ac compressor
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM

I had the same problem except my compressor locked up going down the road and snapped a new belt. I just replaced mine. Cost me $250 for a reman. one from the local parts store.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
boost me.....

pick up used one off the forum...4th gen classifieds 250 is too much $$$
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM

You can replace the clutch bearing on your A/C compressor but it will likely be a chore. The other issue you will likely encounter is if you heat the clutch bearing up too much the front seal on the compressor is likely to fail and thereby release all your refrigerant. I'm in nearly the same boat as you. My compressor's clutch bearing is noisy, it hasn't locked up yet and shelled the belt so I put on a shorter belt on to bypass the compressor temporarily until I can get the compressor changed. The shop rates to hang a remaned compressor vs. replacing the clutch bearing are about the same in my area. So I will be hanging a remaned compressor shortly.

If you have any doubt that it is in fact the A/C compressor clutch you can verify that it is by removing your drive belt and starting the engine momentary and listen to see of the noise is absent.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What route did you take on your air conditioner compressor, did you buy a refurbished one or just replace the clutch on your current unit.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by joedzz
What route did you take on your air conditioner compressor, did you buy a refurbished one or just replace the clutch on your current unit.

First off, you can't replace the clutch (good luck finding one!) and it's the bearing that needs replaced in this situation. For Godsake man, SEARCH!!!!!!

If you search - and I know you're new, but still - here's just a quick list, short n sweet.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=1290944

3 + pages ..... why do new people feel the need to bring up old threads, or start new ones?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
LKW
Newbie - Just Registered

Rock Auto offers a clutch assy only - FOUR SEASONS Part # 47355, but at 281, you may as well go for the full reman compressor+clutch.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JtzMax
3 + pages ..... why do new people feel the need to bring up old threads, or start new ones?
Every forum I've even been on (and that's a lot since I'm on car #30 I think ) people just ***** and moan about searching before posting. It's like being a counselor at camp Tardicaca...eventually you have to realize that people of lower intellect can't comprehend things that are simple to a person of average or better intelligence. What a wonderful forum experience we could have if new threads only brought up topics that hadn't been covered ad nauseum infinitum. When I perform a search on here I usually can find out what I want to know in the results, but not always. I have been a member of some pretty well cataloged automotive forums, nasioc, m5board, and audizine to name a few. Maxima.org is neither the cream of the crop nor the worst by any means (almost any honda forum) but there are plenty of people on here that make it worthwhile. So JtzMax, you can complain all you want...but the "special people" will still pick their nose, eat paint chips, and make new threads w/o searching.

Last edited by beegeezy; 08-08-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Every forum I've even been on (and that's a lot since I'm on car #30 I think ) people just ***** and moan about searching before posting. It's like being a counselor at camp Tardicaca...eventually you have to realize that people of lower intellect can't comprehend things that are simple to a person of average or better intelligence. What a wonderful forum experience we could have if new threads only brought up topics that hadn't been covered ad nauseum infinitum. When I perform a search on here I usually can find out what I want to know in the results, but not always. I have been a member of some pretty well cataloged automotive forums, nasioc, m5board, and audizine to name a few. Maxima.org is neither the cream of the crop nor the worst by any means (almost and honda forum) but there are plenty of people on here that make it worthwhile. So JtzMax, you can complain all you want...but the "special people" will still pick their nose, eat paint chips, and make new threads w/o searching.

Thank you good sir for the insight! ROFL - You are correct, it is a never ending battle and I need to learn to choose my battles at times. I do believe this is going to make a mark on how I reply (if I reply) to noob threads.

Funny, the little things you learn when you aren't looking.