4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SE gauges - they're all white faced, right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:15 AM

SE gauges - they're all white faced, right?

i always thought that maxima se's came with white-face speedo & tach cluster. i had a ny junkyard send me what they swore was a cluster from an se - only to find that when ups came this morning i was sent a black one! i called the seller up and *****ed and all they cared to say was "look buddy, that cluster came from an se - it's not my problem it ain't white". what a jerk. can anyone here prove me wrong? i have another one (this one's supposed to be white too) on order that should arrive monday. what a letdown! sorry, i had to vent
maury
Old 11-22-2001, 06:03 AM

Re: SE gauges - they're all white faced, right?

Originally posted by Maury
i always thought that maxima se's came with white-face speedo & tach cluster. i had a ny junkyard send me what they swore was a cluster from an se - only to find that when ups came this morning i was sent a black one! i called the seller up and *****ed and all they cared to say was "look buddy, that cluster came from an se - it's not my problem it ain't white". what a jerk. can anyone here prove me wrong? i have another one (this one's supposed to be white too) on order that should arrive monday. what a letdown! sorry, i had to vent
maury
All SE gauges are white
Old 11-22-2001, 10:11 AM
MDr

Re: Re: SE gauges - they're all white faced, right?

SE Limited edition gauges are titanium color.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:34 AM

SE gauges are white. Only the GXE & GLE are black.
Old 11-24-2001, 03:22 AM

Re: SE gauges - they're all white faced, right?

I second: All SE guages are white

Possible recourse available to you?
How diplomatic are you?
(As you've already learned, boneyard operators often have fewer social redeeming values than the pit bulls who guard their lots)

Call (or better yet, visit) the junkyard you got the instrument cluster from and insist they provide you with the VIN# (vehicle identification #) from the Maxima that the instrument cluster came from. The VIN# will verify the trim level of the car, if you call it in to a Nissan dealer.

If you have any written requests (faxes/emails) for your part "instrument cluster, 19## Nissan Maxima SE" request, you should hold onto that as well, as that could weigh in your favor.

Tell them to contact any Nissan dealer and they will verify the white gauge color for the SE. Say there's no way a black-faced gauge cluster came off an SE model Maxima, and that is what you specifically inquired about.

Tell them "look, I wouldn't expect everyone to appreciate that there's a difference here, and to anyone trading in a thousand different parts for a hundred different vehicles all day long, it might seem like a small difference, but to me, it's huge.

I asked for exactly what I wanted and the bottom line is, you sent me the wrong part. I'm willing to keep my business with you if you can help me track down a Maxima SE (white-faced) instrument cluster, but I need you to take the incorrect one you sent me back in trade."

(this is more likely to receive a favorable response than a flat-out request for your $ back)

(or if there are other parts you need that they can get for you that would be of equal value to make a trade for the unwanted instrument cluster)

If a trade doesn't work for you, just use the same argument to try to get your $ back. Keep in mind though, customer service is not the name of their game & unfortunately, once the $'s in the bank, you're not likely to get it back.

If that doesn't work, ask to speak to a manager or an owner & make your case again.

If all else fails, tell them you're going to register a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. (They probably won't care at all, but you might feel better about it)

I hope this helps.

Best,
Keith

Originally posted by Maury
maury
Old 11-24-2001, 12:00 PM

could be that the previous owner changed their cluster with another for some reason
Old 11-24-2001, 12:33 PM

HOW much you pay for it???

Just wondering how much everybody paid for SE white cluster???
I'm buying 1 my self... just want to do price check before making payment..................

Thanks
Old 11-24-2001, 12:37 PM

any place i can find these clusters on sale for cheap?? excluding auctions.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you paid with a credit card you can dispute the charges, but it is a pain in the A$$. I think you have to do it before you pay the bill it's on.
Old 11-24-2001, 03:52 PM

i30t gauges are black. personally I like the black gauges better than the white gauges. but i guess thats just personal preference.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:42 PM

thanks everyone. i argued with the guy at the yard some more and he agreed to credit my card if i send it back and i pay for shipping. not fair, but for $6.00 i'll put up with it because i have no patience to fight them for $6 shipping. i paid $65 for it - i've seen them as cheap as $50, but none have turned out to be white. i was told by another yard that they have one ordered for me to arrive monday. it better be white!!!!!!!!! thanks for the help & have a nice weekend.
maury
Old 11-24-2001, 04:45 PM

Funny thing is that you had to change was the part with the numbers on it, the rest is the same. BlkStnVlyMax did that, and you could never tell.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Funny thing is that you had to change was the part with the numbers on it, the rest is the same. BlkStnVlyMax did that, and you could never tell.
that's true, but my tach isn't working, so i also need the entire cluster mechanically as well as for looks. good idea though.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:36 AM

happy day!!!! i just got back from the yard & i now have my white face se gauges in my gle - now my tach works and the new cluster looks awesome! i had to go thru 2 weeks of junkyard ignorace, but now my max is lookin good. btw, i don't mean to bash all auto recyclers - just the ones i dealt with. if any of you find yourself talking to hazle auto parts in pa - DON'T talk to jonathan! ask for doug. also - for those who asked about prices, i had found most places wanted $125 and up for the cluster, but i found mine for $65.
good day!