4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Choice CF Hood and Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Choice CF Hood and Trunk

Where does everyone suggest getting a CF hood and trunk? Ive been looking around but am not sure whats best.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM

SEARCH....
VIS Carbon fiber hood. This has been covered hundreds of times
Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Can't say about CF for our Max's, but I say approach buying one with caution. Make sure it has near OEM attachment hardware, especially the front latch. My son had one installed "professionally" on his Prelude. A few weeks later was traveling down the highway, and it let go at the front hood latch. Needless to say it slammed back onto his windshield and then went tumbling off the highway, never to be seen again. (he knew it wasn't worth going back to get after that)
Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Assuming your car is still bone *** stock like it is in your pictures, the last thing I'd be doing is carbon fiber hood and trunk you'll look lame. In my opinion, and I'm sure most everyone else on her.. But it's your money. have fun. post pics when it's done
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
SEARCH....
VIS Carbon fiber hood. This has been covered hundreds of times
You're right, I should have. Ill remember this.
It wont happen again.

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
Assuming your car is still bone *** stock like it is in your pictures, the last thing I'd be doing is carbon fiber hood and trunk you'll look lame. In my opinion, and I'm sure most everyone else on here... But it's your money. have fun. post pics when it's done
Im simply creating a list of things im planning on doing to the car. A drop, nice rims, FX Retro, LED tail retro, paint job, 00VI, among other preformance upgrades will come first. Just simply entertaining ideas, you got any?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by larso1
Can't say about CF for our Max's, but I say approach buying one with caution. Make sure it has near OEM attachment hardware, especially the front latch. My son had one installed "professionally" on his Prelude. A few weeks later was traveling down the highway, and it let go at the front hood latch. Needless to say it slammed back onto his windshield and then went tumbling off the highway, never to be seen again. (he knew it wasn't worth going back to get after that)
Thats why we use hoodpins. the hood latch on CF hoods is attached to the underside which is fiberglass, doesnt take much to rip it away from it.

Originally Posted by SrgScott
You're right, I should have. Ill remember this.
It wont happen again.

Im simply creating a list of things im planning on doing to the car. A drop, nice rims, FX Retro, LED tail retro, paint job, 00VI, among other preformance upgrades will come first. Just simply entertaining ideas, you got any?

There are many carbon fiber hood manufactures out there, from my personal experience VIS has the best quality however they costs a bit more.
For the trunk, go with Ionicdynamics.com
http://www.ionicdynamics.com/1997-99CFtrunk.html
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Thats why we use hoodpins. the hood latch on CF hoods is attached to the underside which is fiberglass, doesnt take much to rip it away from it.
Indeed. IMO, you'd be an idiot to drive around at highway speeds with a CF hood without hood pins, or at least some sort of secondary latching system.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM

all depends on how deep your pockets r. VIS makes extremely high quality hoods, but it will leave a major hole in your wallet.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Got Retrofit?

If you do get a CF hood, remember to have it clear coated.

Last edited by ChrisMan287; 04-23-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
If you do get a CF hood/trunk, remember to have it clear coated.
Ionics trunk doesnt need it. The resin Jose uses is top notch. Ive had my trunk for at least 4yrs and its fine. Still shines like new.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Ionics trunk doesnt need it. The resin Jose uses is top notch. Ive had my trunk for at least 4yrs and its fine. Still shines like new.
Alright I'll take your word for it.

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
If you do get a CF hood, remember to have it clear coated.
Fixed just for you Flava.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Its a tought decision for me here guys.

My hood(as well as my roof) has a LOT of hail damage, nothing really extreme. There are just so many little dings in it. Im not exactly sure what someone would charge to fix it, thats why im looking at a new hood.

If i were to purchase a new hood, it would either be a CF(as well as purchasing a new CF trunk), or just get a new hood and have it painted QN0. Either way, a hood will cost anywhere from $300-$600, which im willing to pay.

Which way would some of you go? Just get the dents fixed, a new QN0 hood, or CF?

Just looking for ideas really.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by SrgScott
Its a tought decision for me here guys.

My hood(as well as my roof) has a LOT of hail damage, nothing really extreme. There are just so many little dings in it. Im not exactly sure what someone would charge to fix it, thats why im looking at a new hood.

If i were to purchase a new hood, it would either be a CF(as well as purchasing a new CF trunk), or just get a new hood and have it painted QN0. Either way, a hood will cost anywhere from $300-$600, which im willing to pay.

Which way would some of you go? Just get the dents fixed, a new QN0 hood, or CF?

Just looking for ideas really.
Its your car, so its really up to you.
However things to be considered,
If you do get a CF hood I highly recommened getting it clear coated. The resin/gel coating thats on the hoods is very thin and the heat form the motor will eventually cause the clear to wear thin and it also tunr that funky greenish color. Trust me, Im on my third CF
hood.WIth that said, most of the cheaper hoods go for about 400+ with shipping. Not sure what most shops will charge to have it cleared but my body shop charged me 250.00 to shoot my VIS hood.
Also, as mentioned before if your car is mostly stock having a CF hood is going to look a bit odd on your car.
The other option like youve already stated would to buy a new hood and have it painted or you could possibly find a used hood in QNO for a decent price.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 AM

I think im leaning towards the QN0 hood.
Simply because i like the color i suppose.

Thanks for the input guys, its greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i like the hood better...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Has1Shame
i like the hood better...
Which one?