4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Windshield Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Windshield Noise

Searched for everything I could think without any success. At about 30mph and above I get a high to mid frequency buzz sound from the driver's side of the windshield. I can spary some wiper fluid on the windshield and this will eliminate the buzzing sound for about 20 or 30 miles of highway driving but then the buzz returns. I siliconed down the weatherstipping around the A-pillar of the windshield thinking it was vibrating at high speeds but this didn't resolve the issue. Just curious if anyone else has ran across this situation and what your resolution was.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM

http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/WindNoise.htm
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks I'm sure my probelm is in one of these areas.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I too am having the same issues.
When I purchased my Max, the windshield was cracked, so I knew I would replace it, and did, but it did not solve the wind noise problem.

I am going to check the seals as suggested on that website you've posted, and hopefully it will solve this annoying sound.

Mine unfortunately happens at around 60-75 mph which is very difficult to pinpoint at those speeds.

I will be interested to see if M in KC solves this, please report back if it does.
Thanks FullMetalJakit
Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM

I haven't solved my problem yet but I have isolated it to the driver's side A pillar moulding. My suggestion to you is to get a roll of tape. I used clear packing tape and start methodically taping things down until the noise is reduced or eliminated. I tried to have a windshield repair shop glue the moulding back together but that didn't work. I will have to replace the moulding.

A cool trick the windshield shop tech used was to remove the A pillar moulding (I suppose you could remove all the mouldings if you need to but I was confident my noise origninted from the driver's side) then he sprayed the edge of the windshield where it was sealed to the car with the aersol type glass cleaner the type that is real foamy vs. the Windex types. Then he took a rubber tipped blow gun and ran that along the interior of the A pillar. If there was an air leak (which wasn't/isn't my problem) the foamy window cleaner would have gotten even more bubblely or would have been displaced from that area of the windshield that was leaking. Pretty cleaver I thought. If you have ever trouble-shot a slow leaking tire the concept is pretty much the same. Look for the bubbles. This might work for you if you only experience your noise at highway speeds. And the first question they asked me at the glass shop was have you had your windshield replaced. My case, no. But you apparently have. They didn't elaborate or probe any deeper after I said that i haven't had my windshield replaced.

Now to go drop $50 some odd dollar for a piece of moulding or live with it as is. The TSB has everything you need to know. I found my problem nearly instantly after reading it. To remove your A pillar windshield moulding, gently peal back the front door's weather stripping to reveal the 4 or 5 screws holding the moulding to the A pillar.

Good luck in your hunt.