4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Parts Source for Calsonic A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Parts Source for Calsonic A/C Compressor

I have a 96 GLE and my A/C compressor bearing is starting to make noise.
I could just replace the bearing, but I want to price replacing the compressor and clutch/?pulley. Does anyone have a good priced parts source for the compressor and does it include the magnetic clutch and pulley or are those oem dealer items only??(high price...)

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Sold

you will need to take it in to have the coolant drained in an environmentally friendly way.

And then re-charged.
try napa?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Many sellers out there

Thanks. I see lots of rebuilt ones, but rebuild quality is always hard to find.

I would hope someone in the forums has bought one and can share some sources.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 AM

You are going to tax my memory here

For the 4th generation AC Compressors, you will need a Ready-Aire 1962 bearing. SummitRacing doesn't carry that specific bearing (I think they have the 1961 and 1963), but they can special order it.

The part comes from ProLiance, their website is here: http://www.pliii.com/
You may find they have a location near you; I did find one here in Atlanta. They happened to have 1 in stock and had had it for a while. I believe I bought it for around $40. If my memory is correct, someone here on Maxima.org wrote a post about how to replace the bearing. In doing a search for the bearing, I think I also found it at PartsAmerica via Advanceautoparts. The writeup indicated you could get it from houstonbearing. That writeup can be seen about 1/3 of the way down this page in the stickies: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...updated-2.html

You will also need the tool to take the bearing off which can be found on Ebay for about 20-30 bucks. It is a Kent Moore Geo Storm AC Compressor Clutch removal kit. I couldn't find this locally to borrow or rent.

You may or may not need a pulley puller but you can rent those from the local parts store. You will also need a snap ring remover.

BTW, locally, Autozone rents out the 134 recovery unit which also will draw the system down and allow you to recharge it. The writeup above indicates you can take the pulley/bearing off without removing the compressor and you wouldn't need to discharge/recharge the system when completed. If you go the route of a new/rebuilt compressor, you will.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Dcarlton; 03-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A rebuilt compressor is just over 200 bucks.
Why even bother messing with the old one?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Changing the O-Rings

From other threads, I found these links for new compressors for reasonable prices: http://www.meridianautoparts.com/add.../60-00804.html
http://www.autoairplus.com/category_s/3645.htm
However, does anyone have info on how hard it is to "GET AT" and replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve, as well as "GETTING AT" all the connections where there are O-rings. I have the diagram from the FSM and it looks like there are tons of connections, probably in places that are hard to get at.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Bearing

I've decided to replace the bearing first since my A/C seems to be otherwise cooling properly. DCarlton, thanks for the info. I contacted ProLiance in MA and they have the bearing for $19.06 (If you paid $40, you were ripped-off!).

Phil
Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM

I think that's of great help
Old 04-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Pressing in bearing

I have finally gotten around to starting to replace the bearing. I see the sticky post on removing and pressing in the bearing, but it may be hard to get a hold of my neighbor who owns a metal CNC shop to put the bearing in with a press. I wonder if I can press in the bearing with a bench vise or not without damaging the pulley?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Geo Storm Kent-More Tool Worthless

I got the geo storm tool which corresponds to the nissan tool p/n in the fsm for removing the clutch plate and the compressor pulley. Unfortunately the 3 threaded thumbscrews that fit into the 3 holes in a pyramid around the center bolt do not thread at all into the clutch plate so you cannot use the useless thing to pull the clutch plate. The nissan tool in the fsm, though it is the same kent-more number, has three pins that have hooks that will engage the plate holes.

How else do you get the clutch plate off?

Last edited by charlestek; 04-20-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BUMP

So did you ever get the bearing replaced? I'm currently in the same situation, about to get started on a hunt for the bearing.

Any details on how it went would be VERY appreciated.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Depends how hard it is to get clutch off......

allthewrongwords, a lot depends on how hard it is to get the clutch off.
Read my other post morten post, as the bearing I got from proliant was the wrong one:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...st-mortem.html

Without the modified tool, which turned out to be the wrong tool anyway, it may be hard to get the clutch off its splined center if it is rusted on.

If you take the belt off and then unfasten the center bolt on the clutch you can gently try to take it off. If it is stuck, you will have to figure out some kind of tool to get it loose without damaging it.....
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 AM

Bumping this thread. Went to AutoZOne and they no longer carry the bearing for the CWV618 compressor. Also, the link that was posted to order from proliance does not work as well. Does anyone know where this bearing can be purchased?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM

I got mine from www.houstonbearing.com Make sure you measure the old one first. Dont rely on info you get here. By the way, if it happens to be 40x62x24 let me know. I've got one of those laying around that I have no use for.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM

another good source is a local machine parts supplier. every city has one. they sell mostly to local companies that own/repair any imagineable piece of industrial equipment. you go in with a bearing (or a belt, or an o-ring, or a bolt, etc etc) and they will find you one to match. in Chicago there's a place called motion industries that has everything.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM

they have a website http://www.motionindustries.com/moti...mii/index.html
and a location in Pelham, NY. not sure if that's near you in brooklyn.