4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Product review thread(read here before posting on what parts to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Kevlo for President

Product review thread(read here before posting on what parts to buy)

This is a review thread for many of the products we have for our 4th gen.

Also check http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ww.vqpower.com for more maxima parts reviews.

Please look through this before you post a thread of what you should buy.

PHP Code:
[B]Product "-----" [/B]
[
B]Cost "-----" [/B]
[
B]Bought From - [/B"-----"

[B]Images:[/B]
"Link1 - DO NOT PUT THE IMG tags, JUST PUT A URL LINK!!!!!"
"Link2"

[B]Review: [/B]
"Place your review here talk about it and write what you think people need to know about the product you are describing.

Include this
[B]Pros:[/B]
- "
xxxxxx"
- "
xxxxxx"

[B]Cons:[/B]
- "
xxxxxx"
- "
xxxxxx"

By: Your Name
------------

Keep it in that format, do not post the IMG links because the thread will get cluttered, just keep links to the picture
PM me when you fill it in and I will add it to the thread.

Last edited by Kevlo911; 07-29-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Kevlo for President

Start PM'ing me the reviews!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Kevlo for President

Suspension

Product - "Tokico Illuminas + H&R Springs"
Cost - "400+" (The illuminas new are like 400 and the springs 200)
Bought From - "Search around, I bought mine used "

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/IMG_0985.jpg

Review:
The combo rides quite well, the struts are adjustable so you can mess with that. I run the 3/4(F/R). It is a combo that is more for the ride than it is for the handling IMO. It is about a 1.5in drop all the way around so I still have decent clearance.

Pros:
- Soft/Smooth ride over bumps
- Adjustable Struts
- Very high quality

Cons:
- Can get costly
- Rear sags(some people say it doesn't)
- Could handle better

By: Kevlo911

Last edited by Kevlo911; 07-01-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Kevlo for President

Interior

Product - "Replacement ACC carpet"
Cost - "$130"
Bought From - www.rockauto.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/IMG_2060.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/IMG_2073.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/IMG_2071.jpg

Review:
I replaced my carpet with this. They come large so you have to trim them down. it is the same carpet stockinteriors.com has I believe. It is a great carpet if you need replacement.

Include this
Pros:
- Very thick
- Comes large so you can cut it perfectly

Cons:
- Doesn't come with side hooks, have to reuse stock

By: Kevlo911
--------

Last edited by Kevlo911; 07-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Kevlo for President

Braking

Product - KVR Performance Brake Pads
Cost - $56 Front and $51 Rear (+ shipping)
Bought From - Alamo Motorsports(Link)

Review:
I had these brakes on before I started demodding my car (and saving costs on brakes, etc.). I currently have NAPA pads on my car. Boy do I miss these.

They brake great once they get up to temp (about 3 minutes of driving and slight braking) and do a great job. They are quiet, and don't dust much more than any other pad I've ever used.

Pros:
- Seemingly Low Dust
- Quiet
- Not very expensive

Cons:
- Can only be bought online

By: Ilyak
------------

Product - Axxis Ultimate Ceramic Brake Pad Set
Cost - $95
Bought From - Ebay Motors

Review:
My OEM brake pads wore out completely and after doing some research and trying to decide between Hawk HPS, EBC pads, and Axxis Ultimates, I went for the Axxis. I chose these because based on what I heard the Hawk's make more noise and all around the Axxis pads were a good choice.I couldn't have been more happy with the purchase.

Noise
They apparently have an "integrated" shim, however I installed my old shims on top anyway and put a good amount of brake lube around all surfaces that contact the calipers. These pads don't so make so much as a peep. I was very surprised, they are as quiet as my OEM pads.

Braking performance
These pads are like night and day in comparison with the OEM's. Being a performance oriented pad, they claim these will have similar or slightly less initial cold bite as the OEM's. I have found this is not the case. Initial bite seems to be better, once they are warm, these pads bite VERY hard and it takes probably about twice as much heavy braking to get to the point of brake fade.

I recently took my car to the track (running the 1/4 mile). I showed up early and was able to get run after run in back to back without any cool down time, and after 4 consecutive 1/4 mile runs within 20 minutes, I had no problems slowing the car down from 100mph.

I do a lot of aggressive driving on steep mountain roads as well, and I assure you these pads make me a lot more confident and I can usually push them harder and longer, sometimes not even having to back off to let the pads cool where in contrast I would have to lay off after 5 minutes because I would cook the factory pads to the point of scary brake fade.

While these pads are fantastic and are very hard to fade, here is a word of warning. While the OEM pads fade very early and easily, you can feel the brake fade progressively building up. With the Axxis Ultimate's, they will go from being in their sweet spot to brake fade much faster, so while the point is much higher, you have less warning before fading them.

Installation and breaking in
These pads have a break in spot built into them that cleans the rotor/aids initial brake bedding.

Don't be alarmed, the first time you drive the car, the breaking performance will be ABYSMAL. This is normal and is part of the initial coating.

What I did was wait for it to be very late at night before I took the car out for the first time, and I gently rode and applied the brakes in varying pressures to slowly heat up the brakes and let the break in coating do its job. I did all this while constantly moving, never stopping the car. Once the brakes started to bite much harder, I then performed a standard bedding procedure, where once the brakes were warmed up, I accelerated to 65-70 very aggressively, and applied the brakes with about 60 percent force down to 15. Got on the gas hard back up to 70 again, applied the brakes with about 70 percent force this time, then repeated and applied the brakes with as much as I could without locking a tire or invoking the abs. It is very important not to lock a tire or invoke the abs because it defeats the purpose of brake bedding and will cause uneven build up on your rotors. I did this procedure until I could feel the very slight onset of brake fade, then drove the car on the highway for about 20-25 minutes without touching the brakes to let them cool. It is very important to not stop the car at all while the brakes are hot. This is the procedure I use to bed brakes that I find successful, and in no way am I or Maxima.org recommending this or responsible for any consequences resulting from attempting this.

Dust
The one drawback of these pads definitely is the brake dust. These pads dust heavily. I notice buildup on my wheels at the end of every day, varying on how much and how hard I drive.

Unlike OEM pads however, this dust doesn't seem to bake onto my wheels no matter how much I let it build up. I once let it build up for months to the point where my buddy thought I had painted my wheels gunmetal grey, and I could still just take a cloth or paper towel and wipe it right off. No scrubbing required.

Longevity
I haven't driven the car even a year yet with these pads on, nor have I taken them off the car and done any precise measurements on how much pad is left, but the impression I get from looking at them is that *I think* they definitely are wearing out faster than OEM pads, which is definitely to be expected for a performance pad like this.

Pros:
- Very good bite while cold for a performance pad
- EXCELLENT bite when hot
- High limits before experiencing fade.
- Silent
- Easy to bed
- Brake dust can be cleaned from wheels very easily

Cons:
- Dust, dust, dust, and more dust
- Not as much progressive warning if you do manage to fade them
- Possibly shorter life than OEM

Conclusion
- When this set wears out, I am purchasing another set straight up.

By: modenaf1-----------

Last edited by Kevlo911; 10-16-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Kevlo for President

Intakes

Product - "Injen Intake"
Cost - "250+/-"
Bought From - "Local Maxima Owner"

http://www.einjen.com/Articles/maxim...n/Default.aspx

Review:
"Sounds great, gives great power in the higher end. Looses alot of torque in the lower end and is very noticeable.

Include this
Pros:
- "High end power gain"
- "Growls like a V8"

Cons:
- "Low power loss"
- "Expensive for some tubing and a filter"

By: Watson
------------

Last edited by Kevlo911; 10-07-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Kevlo for President

Exhaust

------
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Kevlo for President

Engine

-----
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Kevlo for President

Lighting

Product - LED Strip
Cost - $8.39 + shipping
Bought From - Best Hong Kong (link)

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9726/ledlicense.jpg

Review:
I had LED bulbs (194) in the license plate bracket and one of them was flickering on and off due to poor fitment. I still wanted LED lights for the license plate

Pros:
- Sturdy strip
- Strip is long but is cuttable down to size
- Relatively inexpensive

Cons: Not waterproof (seal back with sealant and cover in electrical tape or buy waterproof strip for more $$$)

-----------

Product - gtr_rider HID Projector Retrofit
Cost - $500-700 depending on what you want
Bought From - gtr_rider

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0114_large.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0112_large.jpg

Review:
I previously had a set of retrofits using the same projector (TL Bi-Xenon) and an E55 Bezel/Shroud. They were good.

This set looks great and has the ZKW knock-off lense. gtr_rider did a great job and these headlights are head turners for sure. The bezels he picked are a perfect compliment to the 'chrome' headlight.

Pros:
- Look awesome
- Well designed/aimed
- He is awesome to deal with

Cons:
- Not really a con since you're going to 'pay to play', but the cost lol. The cost varies depending on what parts you use and what you go with.

-----------

Product - maxgtr2000 Headlight/Projector Retrofit Service

Cost - Check Here --> Retrofit headlight services

Bought From -maxgtr2000

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?albumid=930

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/100_2298.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q.../DSCI11921.jpg

Review:
Probably the best cosmetic mod i've gotten for my car, I constantly get compliments on them. Just provide him the parts you want and he'll put it all together so you can just plug and go. Worth every penny, you won't regret it!

Pros:
- Looks
- Excellent quality and attention to detail
- Very informative
- Gets the job done quickly
- Makes it so simple, no worries on your end

Cons:
- None

By: maxina97

Product - LED Tail Lights (Euro New Generation)
Cost - $169.99
Bought From - Makoto Auto Trends

Images
http://www.makotoautotrends.com/popu...5bj478kshpre14
http://www.makotoautotrends.com/popu...5bj478kshpre14

Review:
It was very hard to find these tail lights, but I finally found them, sold by Makoto AT. I bought
them, and installed them on my 1998 Max. The look absolutely fantastic, were easy to install, and
light up notably quicker than the stock tail lights, which can certainly give you a 'safety'
justification to trick out the back end of your Max. They come in Carbon Fiber pattern, Gunmetal,
and Chrome.

Pros:
- Very easy to install
- Deliciously bright
- Quick light-up time[/COLOR]
- Fairly priced
- Available in three different themes
- LED lights less likely to burn out than bulbs

Cons:
- Interior wiring haphazard post-installation (easily fixed by electric tape work)[/COLOR]
- If LED should burn out, it would be difficult to replace it, but possible
- Clear housing exposes the blinkers and reverse lights, making them incredibly bright.
As such, colored bulbs may be needed to avoid pull-overs. (I'm from TN, fine without them...)[/COLOR]

By: thedayofdays

Last edited by Kevlo911; 05-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Kevlo for President

Exterior

Product:
3M Headlight restore kit

Cost: 17-18 dollars

Bought From:wal-mart

Review:
well i tested this product. Though you can use it on any car i used it for the 4th gen headlights(97-99 plastics). And i know there are many methods to restore your headlamps. But there are a few products you can buy right off the shelf. This being one of them.

The instrustions and ease of use is pretty straight foward. You will need a electric drill in order to use this product. And a spray bottle.

Pro's:
Ease of use

Actually clears up lens especially if you have yellow or oxidized lenses.

They give you 3-4 pads of each grit to use on other cars.

Con's:
The compound does not come in a resealable container. Though it doesnt dry up it is still messy after it is opened.

If your not careful you can sand some of your finish off your paint if you hit it by accident.

Can be hard to get to all the tight spots.

May have to do it a couple of times to get the best results.

Requires a drill.

For what its worth i know you can go out and source all the materials needed to clear up your lenses. But this product does all the leg work for you and put it in a nice little package and works!

Last edited by Kevlo911; 03-21-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Kevlo for President

People, SEND ME REVIEWS!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Kevlo for President

Ummm this would work alot better if you guys sent me some reviews