4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel in 4G Maxima (?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

4G Maxima Momo Steering Wheel Project

I am considering the purchase of a Momo steering wheel, as I'm getting sick of looking at my old stocker. I have tried to keep it, MOSTLY for the cruise controls. However, I think I am ready to replace it.. I am going to try to fashion something to keep the cruise controls, we'll see what happens..

I was wondering if anyone has replaced their OEM wheel for an aftermarket one.. do you have pics? Was it simple? Are the less expensive hub adapters found on eBay any worse than, say, a Momo hub adapter? Cleaner? Less cheap looking? Were you able to preserve the cruise controls? If not, did it look like it could be done?

I appreciate any input you can provide.. I did a search and came up with nothing this specific. Thanks!

Last edited by DJ420; 03-17-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: updated
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Got Retrofit?

Bye bye airbags. Wouldn't do this on a DD (if your Max is your daily, I'm not sure). Also PM The Wizard, I know he's done this.

Last edited by ChrisMan287; 03-16-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Been there, done that. Surprised my CF/steering wheel thread didn't come up in your search...

Yes, it's simple. It can get expensive depending on what parts you get.

You have a few options for the hub. Check out Crowder's customizing on ebay. He has quit a bit for Maxima.

Don't cheap out on generic hub adapters. Get one specific for the Max. ie the MOMO hub for around $62 if you're tight on $$.

No cruise control at the moment.

I would only go this route if it's more or less a show car.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

It IS mostly a show car.. definately NOT my daily driver. I have refrained thus far from doing it, mainly because of the cruise controls and the airbag system.. however, I just can't stomach the stock wheel anymore. The main contact point between driver and machine is fugly and I want it gone..

The Momo adapter is the most expensive one I've found, though I'm confident there's reason for that. I don't want a cheapo, but I also don't need a detachable wheel.. (although I really like the look of yours!).

I found a few different style hub adapters that Crowder's was selling.. think I may end up going with the standard Momo one.

Excellent steering column cover, by the way..

Nothing too complicated as far as wiring? I've done them before, just never on a Nissan. Is the wiring connector for the cruise controls completely bypassed, or still available in the column post install? You didnt HAVE to modify anything?

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Yes, it's simple. It can get expensive depending on what parts you get.

You have a few options for the hub. Check out Crowder's customizing on ebay. He has quit a bit for Maxima.

Don't cheap out on generic hub adapters. Get one specific for the Max. ie the MOMO hub for around $62 if you're tight on $$.

No cruise control at the moment.

I would only go this route if it's more or less a show car.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DJ420
It IS mostly a show car.. definately NOT my daily driver. I have refrained thus far from doing it, mainly because of the cruise controls and the airbag system.. however, I just can't stomach the stock wheel anymore. The main contact point between driver and machine is fugly and I want it gone..

The Momo adapter is the most expensive one I've found, though I'm confident there's reason for that. I don't want a cheapo, but I also don't need a detachable wheel.. (although I really like the look of yours!).

I found a few different style hub adapters that Crowder's was selling.. think I may end up going with the standard Momo one.

Excellent steering column cover, by the way..

Nothing too complicated as far as wiring? I've done them before, just never on a Nissan. Is the wiring connector for the cruise controls completely bypassed, or still available in the column post install? You didnt HAVE to modify anything?
Thanks for the kudos....

Glad it's not your DD.

Horn doesn't work either.........so.......there is no wiring! LOL. Just bolt everything up and go!

CC is bypassed. You'd have to crack open the FSM and trace the wires back to under the steering column, then reattach I would imagine.

I didn't modify anything. If I wanted to go back to stock, I could. I'm never one for doing permanent damage.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

..do you have any pics of your column with the wheel off? (no hub adapter or anything..)
I want to get an idea of where the plugs are situated behind the wheel..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
The Golden One

Get a 99 SE wheel and bag. I think it's one of the sexiest looking OEM wheels in any car ever made. Too bad they didn't come heated and with radio controls for that year. That would have been beautiful.

Pics:

Last edited by IlyaK; 03-16-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM

^^ IIRC, there's some issues with modifying the clockspring to make a 97+ wheel fit on a 96. I was looking it up at one point, but it seemed like a little much modification for me.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

..do you have any pics of your column with the wheel off? (no hub adapter or anything..)
I want to get an idea of where the plugs are situated behind the wheel..
Here's one. There's only one more step after this pic, and thats to remove the part that goes around and included the yellow middle (forget what it's called at the moment). I don't recall there being any plugs to disconnect other than what I've already mentioned.

The yellow plug you see is for the airbag.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Get a 99 SE wheel and bag. I think it's one of the sexiest looking OEM wheels in any car ever made. Too bad they didn't come heated and with radio controls for that year. That would have been beautiful.
I had a 99 SE wheel........and removed it. Not sporty enough for me. Felt like I was in some old lady's Camry.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
The Golden One

To each his own .
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK

Agreed.........
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM

I replaced my wheel with a Nardi. I also used a hub from ebay, works fine, eventually I will be upgrading to a quick release hub. Fairly simple procedure with the Haynes Repair Manual on hand. Here are some pics:
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

^ Looks out of place in that pic, better in this 1:
Old 03-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Straight on pic.... it doesn't block as much as the cluster as it seems....as my eyes are much higher.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 PM

that looks good. Is your airbag light on all the time now?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Love the wheel, Wizard.. and once again, nice work on the column cover! ..what type of gauge is that mounted on the cover? Just curious..

I was seriously considering a 99 wheel, cuz they are DEFINATELY a bit sportier than the 96.. but when I compared price versus difference, it seemed I wasn't getting enough 'bang for my buck', so to speak..

So.. I took a trip to the boneyard today, and checked out a 96 column.. mine is a bit different from yours, Wizard, but not by much. On the 95 and 96, the yellow 'airbag' connector has 6 wires: white and yellow are for the bag, and the rest (I believe they were brown, blue, green, and red) are for the cruise controls and horn. They have the cruise control and horn wires going through the clockspring also, but off the other end of the clockspring, they 'go their separate ways'.. I cut the harnesses off both ends of the clockspring. The yellow and white will be capped off. The brown, green, and blue will be extended and run to the cruise controls, which I will mount remotely somewhere. The red is for the horn. By cutting those harnesses, I now have what I need to fabricate a sub-harness, which will allow me to bypass the bag, while keeping the cruise controls and horn working. THIS way, I can still go back to 100% stock without any permanent modifications, not even to the wires. NOW all I have to figure out is WHERE I can mount the cruise controls! They are very awkward looking after being taken off the wheel! I will come up with something clean and custom.. that's what's on the drawing board right now.. I will post pics as the time nears. In the meantime, I'm going to make my sub-harness, and wait for my new Momo to arrive!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

If you disconnect any part of the SRS (airbag system), you WILL get an AIRBAG light. However, an easy remedy to this is to pull the cluster while you have the wheel off and out of the way, and pull the airbag light bulb. That's what I plan to do.. then I'll put the bulb, my complete stock wheel, bag, clockspring, and bolts away in a safe place. No annoying light, and I can put it back to stock anytime I want!

Originally Posted by titanbk
that looks good. Is your airbag light on all the time now?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
i has college

NOW all I have to figure out is WHERE I can mount the cruise controls! They are very awkward looking after being taken off the wheel! I will come up with something clean and custom.. that's what's on the drawing board right now..
Here's what I've always envisioned. Might give you an idea:

First, I'd do the "cruise control always on" mod and completely eliminate the cruise control button from the dash. Go to the junkyard and get one of the blank pieces to go in its place. Afterwards, take the cruise control...control () and mount it underneath the steering wheel in that under-dash cover thing (near the buzzer). Cut the wire going to the "set accel" button and run it to the space where the cruise control "on" button used to be. Drill the replacement blank panel out and fit a little button from radio shack or something on it and attach the Set Accel wire to it.

With this method, you press the button on the dash to turn on cruise, and tap the brake to turn off cruise. There's no control box hanging from anywhere, and your airbag light doesn't come on.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

I like the idea, but I don't see how it will keep the AIRBAG light from coming on, without an AIRBAG in place.
I will not bypass the Cruise ON switch, just because I see no need.. however, of the 3 buttons, the 'set/coast' is the only one actually needed! I will probably use this method, however, mainly because I am just very thorough, I will probably replicate all 3 switches. Gonna do some homework and I'll report back soon.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 AM
i has college

I like the idea, but I don't see how it will keep the AIRBAG light from coming on, without an AIRBAG in place.
D'oh. Forgive me, I was tired.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Has anyone ever tried replacing their wheel with an 06+ Altima wheel?? I saw one the other day when I was riding in a friends car and i LOVED it... Would there be any complications with that swap?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Offset Is Everything.

I'm also running a Momo Competition Steering wheel and Momo hub adapter. lost CC and horn. airbag light is on. a MUCH better feel without that bus-like steering wheel. very sporty.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Nobody with a Momo has a horn? lol I will not rest unless I have both the horn AND the cruise controls!

I bought this wheel tonight. Just waiting for it to get here now..

Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Love the wheel, Wizard.. and once again, nice work on the column cover! ..what type of gauge is that mounted on the cover? Just curious..
Thanks. It's an Innovate Motorsports XD-16 wideband A/F guage.

So.. I took a trip to the boneyard today, and checked out a 96 column.. mine is a bit different from yours, Wizard, but not by much. On the 95 and 96, the yellow 'airbag' connector has 6 wires: white and yellow are for the bag, and the rest (I believe they were brown, blue, green, and red) are for the cruise controls and horn. They have the cruise control and horn wires going through the clockspring also, but off the other end of the clockspring, they 'go their separate ways'.. I cut the harnesses off both ends of the clockspring. The yellow and white will be capped off. The brown, green, and blue will be extended and run to the cruise controls, which I will mount remotely somewhere. The red is for the horn. By cutting those harnesses, I now have what I need to fabricate a sub-harness, which will allow me to bypass the bag, while keeping the cruise controls and horn working. THIS way, I can still go back to 100% stock without any permanent modifications, not even to the wires. NOW all I have to figure out is WHERE I can mount the cruise controls! They are very awkward looking after being taken off the wheel! I will come up with something clean and custom.. that's what's on the drawing board right now.. I will post pics as the time nears. In the meantime, I'm going to make my sub-harness, and wait for my new Momo to arrive!
Nice detective work. Wanna make me a CC harness too??
Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gman8990
Has anyone ever tried replacing their wheel with an 06+ Altima wheel?? I saw one the other day when I was riding in a friends car and i LOVED it... Would there be any complications with that swap?
Not sure about an 06 wheel, but a few guys have put older Altima steering wheels on, and gained the steering wheel volume controls for their aftermarket stereos.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
The Golden One

Hmm...might have to look into that.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
The Golden One

Okay...so I just did some quick research regarding a steering wheel for us 4th gen. guys that will give us the ability to control our after market decks with the steering wheel buttons and still retain the cruise control. However, it does NOT have a heating function. My brother has a 2002 Altima. I might take some measurements of his airbag and then measurements of his 2000 Maxima airbag to see if the Altima airbag will fit into a heated Maxima steering wheel.

Info came from this thread: link.

Parts Needed:
  • 2003 Altima Airbag Computer (or 2002?) - car-parts.com has them for around $150
  • 2002 Altima Steering Wheel with cruise and audio buttons (or 2003?) - car-parts.com has them for around $90
  • 2003 Maxima Clock Spring (2000-2002 might also work?) - car-parts.com has them for around $100
  • 2002 Altima Factory Service Manual with wiring schematics (or 2003?)
  • 2003 Maxima Factory Service Manual with wiring schematics (or 2000-2002?)
  • 4th Gen. Maxima Factory Service Manual for your year with wiring schematics
The above will result in:

I'm going to continue looking for a way to successfully with little modification (or as much as above) to get a 2003 steering wheel into a 4th Gen. Maxima.

As you can see...they look pretty similar. I don't understand why we'd need to edit the entire steering column just to get the wheel and bag to work. The correct clock spring/air bag module and proper wiring is all we should need.

Q&A from the thread I posted above (credit Killer99Max):

I want that steering wheel. Did it just bolt up?
It was a 100% bolt on. I was taking a risk because at the time I wasnt sure it would fit but I was lucky it fit perfectly. You need a security tool to get your airbag off. I had to go get that tool.

Are you sure the airbag will work? I dont know if it is the same with Nissan but 2001+ Toyotas/Lexus have dual stage airbags that supposedly will not work with earlier model single stage airbags. I dont know if the 2k2 2k3 Altimas had dual stage airbags
Yes this Altima airbag is dual stage, but I also swapped the whole airbag system incorperating the 2k3 altima airbag computer, so this isnt a task to be done for the weak.

what year altima did that steering wheel come out of and why is it 2 tone? you paint it?horn work? cruise work? heated? cause i dont see the cruise buttons on it.
and what mirror is that? i am wondering how you got it to mount cause it looks like it is mounted on the windshield instead of the roof linear. and what did you do about the mount in the roof linear where the old mirror went?
and for all the guys, maxima and altimas sterring wheels fit on 4th gens. i had a 2k2 heated one black leather on my max, a 2k maxima steering wheel also and a i30 one also.
I had to aquire a 2k2 altima steering, then had it custom made 2 tone, took them 3 weeks and $600, I then used a 2k3 maxima clockspring, custom wired some stuff now the horn works, I am waiting to get the cruise buttons frm the 2k3 maxima other then that everything works no heat on it but its ok heh, that mirror is a Donnelly mirror. I used an install kit from autozone it is about $6 for it, mounts this metal thing onto the glass of your windshield, and as for the top part of old mirror I will show you closer pic of what I did, I glued a plastic part and you will see when I get ya a pic.

How much did all of it cost?
Didn't really keep track, about $1800 when done finally, steering was about $600 alone, airbag $400 rest misc parts total $800 for total of $1800, was really fun time installing it too, all went in with no problems.

Last edited by IlyaK; 03-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
The Golden One

The other option is this:

Originally Posted by davidforehand
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride..._grip_kit1.htm

+
wheelskins

I use the grip heaters on my motorcycle and works great, I was wearing thin gloves and was comfortable at about 15degrees with no wind protection. Takes about a minute or two to get hot. This would be a cheap/ghetto/easy way to accomplish the heated steering wheel without loosing the airbag.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Well.. the 03 Altima wheel looks great! I also love the fact that the radio controls are able to be used with aftermarket radios! (must require the PAC kit?) But $1800 to change your wheel?! Wow.. thats determination!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
The Golden One

It won't be $1800. The guy did it back in 2005 when the car just came out not long ago. Much cheaper now.

Yes, you would need the PAC interface.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM

wiz, i like your wheel. but IMO thats too much CF for my taste. im more into subtle stuff. Ilyak, i got a 96 max. did you install the altima wheel yourself? if you did, do you have any step by step instructions?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
The Golden One

No I did not.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Well, I got the steering wheel installed. I fabricated a black plastic panel mounted from the inside of the column cover to hide annoying gaps. Came out good, although I'm looking to do something a touch more custom later on.. I'm pretty OCD about my car, so I don't half-a$s anything. I had to point it out to 2 of my buddies so it must be alright! lol

Don't mind the mess.. lower dash panel is still off, while I finish up a lil wiring.

Looks like the leather insert in the drivers door panel needs a lil nudging..lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Here you will find the tools and items necessary to make a cruise control and horn sub-harness. I want the BAG to be the ONLY option deleted..

The 2 harnesses you see above are the harness going into the clockspring, and coming out of it. Simply put, your cruise controls and horn are wired through your clockspring. I have eliminated the clockspring, so I needed to make this to run the horn and cruise controls to another location.

Cut (or cap off) the yellow and white wires. These are the air bag wires, and are no longer needed. Splice the brown, blue, and green wires together with their mate color on the other small harness end. I opted to add 5 feet of wire in between, to make the completed harness about 6 feet long. This will allow me to mount the controls just about anywhere!

Last edited by DJ420; 03-27-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

This is what my finished harness looks like!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Push button horn switch. Mounted on switch deadpanel. Going to be mounted where the red and white wires are sticking out of my dash in the above pics of the wheel..

Here is a modified cruise control controls..

Due to the fact that there is a circuit board in the unit, it can not be changed to just singular push buttons. So I took off the bulky buttons, and cut back the housing so that just the rubbery buttons were accessible.

Where I'll be mounting these, they wont be visible anyhow. Just closeby and within reach of the drivers seat!

That's it for tonight.. finish it up tomorrow.

Last edited by DJ420; 03-27-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM

[quote=IlyaK;6932174] . Too bad they didn't come heated and with radio controls for that year. That would have been beautiful.

Hey this could be a project, maybe some ones done it. There's a cutout on the opposite side of the cruise controls. Seems like you could mount another cruise control module upside down and wire it to your radio, or make it seem like it works.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

lol @ the upside down cruise controls! lmao @ the making them work with the radio!!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Nrw

Damn man you are a nut hahah. Looks good.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Wheel in 4G Maxima (?)