4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LED gauges driving me nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM

LED gauges driving me nuts...

*UPDATE*
Now, wtf? Based off experiences from others, and ReDMaX99SEL's 74 to 194 bulb conversion for 98-99 gauges, I chose the route and got the 194 Polarg Hyperwhite bulbs, model M-4, followed the step by step instructions, and NO LUCK! My gauges are now a bluish/green color, and NOT like what ReDMaX99SEL's writeup AND pictures portray! Anyone care to explain??? My gauges DO NOT look like the pictures below, and those are from doing the same mod I just completed! WTF...

***ORIGINAL THREAD BELOW***

Alright, obviously there is a TON of LED information out related to gauges. I've searched and educated myself. Now I have some questions...

Now, what I am looking for is a nice clean white LED gauge look for my 98 SE. I've seen VERY VERY few pictures of what I am looking for, and I do know it is hard to take a picture and have the true color show.

Here..

This is the look I am looking for..notice how nice and WHITE the lighting on the gauges are. This is from ReDMaX99SEL's bulb conversion writeup. Does the simple #74 to #194 bulb conversion actually work this well, and produce the "white" output as show on the picture?

Or even better..but I am not too sure what method was done on this Maxima.
Not the switches..but take a look at the GAUGE. Any suggestions on what was done here? Actually, this picture looks like the faces are black though. Regardless, the output is "white" and not "yellowish-white".

Last edited by tcaughey; 06-15-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Does the simple #74 to #194 bulb conversion actually work this well, and produce the "white" output as show on the picture?
if you want to get rid of the yellowish output, just replace the stocks w/ some hyperwhite bulbs if you don't know how to rig up LEDs.
my guess he either prob added multiple white leds throughout the gauges or added 194 led bulbs but those are prone to hot spots...depending on the lighting distribution type of the LED
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM

hey ive been wonderin bout this too and ive done some reseach on the forums bout hookin up my own leds, than i came across this thread and saw the idea of just replacin with a hyper white bulb, which of course never crossed my mind
so anyways i went lookin round for bulbs, pre much googled it
and i came across this, http://superlumination.com/74.htm
now i didnt no wat bulb is inside there, but i figured it was the 74 based on wat tcaughey said
im just wonderin will these leds work? like just plug em in?
given maybe a resistor or somethin, idk this stuff too well, my friends the electrian lol
but if this would work i think i rather take this road, ratherin than solderin and wat not
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM

I believe the #74 to #194 should do what you are looking for, but as G4 said they are prone to hot spots sadly. If you were to find some wide-angle LEDs and sand the tops of them, to dipurse light even more, that could give you what you are looking for. But you still may just have to do it the hard way and run multipule LEDs to every guage. Which can take a very long time, a friend of mine did it, and it took him 7 hours. But if you have more experience with LEDs it would not take that long.

Personally, i just deal with the hot spots for now, i struglled with the same problem and just got tired of it. haha
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Still Learning

If you could do 74 --> 194, there are LED lights that contain 5 leds covering 5 different directions. Get white ones....
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM

I do know about LED modding, so that is not a huge deal for me.

I've heard about the hyperwhite bulbs, but would I run into the "bluish-white" problem due to the blue overlay on the backside of the gauges? I know members have discussed the problem with white LEDs, but I have not found any info regarding the hyperwhite bulbs.

Also, members have complained that the output of the plug-and-play 194 LED bulbs are too dim to give off a nice effect. There is a thread where someone used blue 194 LED bulbs, and the output looked so much dimmer than his stock 194 bulbs. He hated them, and wished he would have rigged up individual LEDs instead.

So is it true that rigging up individual LEDs are brighter and work so much better than the replacement LED bulbs? If the Hyperwhite 194 bulb will give me the results I am working for, I am all in!

Hopefully someone who has used 194 hyperwhites in 98+ gauges will chime in!

Last edited by tcaughey; 02-20-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM

First, there is no such thing as a 'true WHITE' LED, they're getting much better, but it's not currently possible to produe a true white light.
If you're picky and that's what you want, forget the LEDs. Most people wont notice or mind the Hyperwhites, etc. they are very white, but if you are picky and look you'll notice colour.
My suggestion would be to install 194 bulbs in stock locations, and add a couple, buffing the tip of the bulbs will help eliminate hot spots, and the more you install evenly across the gauges the more even it will be.

Don't expect perfection, or you'll be disappointed, but I guarantee you'll like what you come up with better than stock, and you'll be proud of what you've done.
green led's and green 194 bulbs:
Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 PM

^^ Thanks! Wow, I didn't even think to try a combination of 194s and LEDs. Looks like I'll be tackling this project in the next week or so. Ill post pictures when I'm done.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by t65k3
If you could do 74 --> 194, there are LED lights that contain 5 leds covering 5 different directions. Get white ones....
Yeah I tried some of these from vleds.com they are SMT leds ..5 per bulb. I bought 5 194 (I have a 97) and the output is good but Im not happy with the deep blue color so Im looking into some white ones. Anyone interested in the blue bulbs I have PM me. You will find The specs for these from Vleds.com

IMO the white smt (5 PER BULB) would do fine for your white gauge look, as for the needles you will have to add some red leds behind each gauge with the led facing the center near the needle AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT INTERFERING THE OPERATION OF THE NEEDLE.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by tcaughey
I do know about LED modding, so that is not a huge deal for me.

I've heard about the hyperwhite bulbs, but would I run into the "bluish-white" problem due to the blue overlay on the backside of the gauges? I know members have discussed the problem with white LEDs, but I have not found any info regarding the hyperwhite bulbs.

Also, members have complained that the output of the plug-and-play 194 LED bulbs are too dim to give off a nice effect. There is a thread where someone used blue 194 LED bulbs, and the output looked so much dimmer than his stock 194 bulbs. He hated them, and wished he would have rigged up individual LEDs instead.

So is it true that rigging up individual LEDs are brighter and work so much better than the replacement LED bulbs? If the Hyperwhite 194 bulb will give me the results I am working for, I am all in!

Hopefully someone who has used 194 hyperwhites in 98+ gauges will chime in!
Check MetalMaxima gauges.. Do a search , his gauges are totally custom and nothing is stock. If done correctly you can achieve a look that no plug and play bulb will match. Now there is a lot of work involved to achieve your custom look but its all about what you want. I have spent so many hours trying a custom look using different leds and bulbs and have always turned out unhappy in the end and Im sick of it already. Find some decent plug and play gauge bulbs and add some leds for your needles are be done with it.

Last edited by maxprivate; 02-22-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM

if you have a 98 your gonna need to do work to make the 194's work.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Blackwind
if you have a 98 your gonna need to do work to make the 194's work.
74 bulb if you have a 98 to 99 I believe and 194 95 to 97 if im not mistaken. Get the stock bulb that fits your cluster.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM

sorry this is kinda off topic, in the first picture it shows the odometer mileage illuminated. Is that a stock light or aftermarket. I bought my 99 maxima about 4 weeks ago, and can't stand that the odometer does not light up at night...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by AtomicBatman
sorry this is kinda off topic, in the first picture it shows the odometer mileage illuminated. Is that a stock light or aftermarket. I bought my 99 maxima about 4 weeks ago, and can't stand that the odometer does not light up at night...
Im pretty sure that the light you see in the pic is not aftermarket. the bulb for the odometer probably went out. I wish I could give you more detail but I own 97 nondigital.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicBatman
The 98-99 maximas have their own bulb for the digital odometer. It comes on when the key is turned on...so its prone to failure quicker than the rest of the cluster lights.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
First, there is no such thing as a 'true WHITE' LED, they're getting much better, but it's not currently possible to produe a true white light.
If you're picky and that's what you want, forget the LEDs. Most people wont notice or mind the Hyperwhites, etc. they are very white, but if you are picky and look you'll notice colour.
My suggestion would be to install 194 bulbs in stock locations, and add a couple, buffing the tip of the bulbs will help eliminate hot spots, and the more you install evenly across the gauges the more even it will be.

Don't expect perfection, or you'll be disappointed, but I guarantee you'll like what you come up with better than stock, and you'll be proud of what you've done.
green led's and green 194 bulbs:
I couldn't agree more with this post. I just took out some aftermarket reverse indiglo gauges and went back to stock. I had some left over #194 hyperwhites (4 of them) and decided to do the conversion mod on my 98 SE. THe only annoying part was trying to make the four hols bigger so they can fit. it went smoothly enough and I definately like the look of them. As everyone says, I noticed that there are some hotspots (just like the pictures posted), but I will live with it. It looks great nonetheless nad wouldn't go back. The only problem is that in the process of removing my old reverese indiglos, the needles of my fuel and temp gauge came off After i put back my dash and everything back together, I noticed that now my temp gauge goes halfway just on start up alone. after driving a couple of minutes, the temp gauge would max out. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I didn't pay attention when placing the needle back on, so I was thinking I could remove the dash, take off the needle, and out it back all the way on C (cold). Fortunately, I think my fuel gauge is ok. I remember where it was before it came off and it seems to calibrated right. Any ideas on the temp gauge? ANyone ever have this problem?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM

only way to get true white is to remain a virgin...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Black Lion

sorry that happen to you with the needles, thats why I always stayed away from messing with them.. I messed up an extra speedo head I had trying to see how easy it was to take them off and it was tuff. My advise would be to get a new gauge and be done with it.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
sorry that happen to you with the needles, thats why I always stayed away from messing with them.. I messed up an extra speedo head I had trying to see how easy it was to take them off and it was tuff. My advise would be to get a new gauge and be done with it.
I'm gonna try to avoid that at all cost. I hate to have to mess around with the digital odomoter and what not. I'm fortunate that my tach and speedometer needles did not fall off. Like I said, it's just my temp gauge. I would assume I just need to take them off again, plug my gauges back in (with the needles still off), then put the needles back on starting at C (cold level). Hopefully ,this fixes it.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by MienMaxima
I'm gonna try to avoid that at all cost. I hate to have to mess around with the digital odomoter and what not. I'm fortunate that my tach and speedometer needles did not fall off. Like I said, it's just my temp gauge. I would assume I just need to take them off again, plug my gauges back in (with the needles still off), then put the needles back on starting at C (cold level). Hopefully ,this fixes it.
that sounds like that would work. Just take your time when dealing with the needles and follow the how to's for removing them. Your calibration method sounds like it will work. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
that sounds like that would work. Just take your time when dealing with the needles and follow the how to's for removing them. Your calibration method sounds like it will work. Hope it goes well for you.
Thanks! I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction regarding the how-to for removing the needles. I tried the , FAQ, but found nothing.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Black Lion

wish I could help you but the link for removing them doesn't seem to work anymore. When I tried removing one just for fun I messed it all up.. like I stated earlier my speedo head went bad so I had an extra when to play with.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM

*bump*...read the update on the first post...
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 AM

Didnt they sand off the blue film? Dont do it until you know for sure though. I remember someone saying you could sand the blue film to let the color through.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 AM

I like the look of the red/white, I bought the ebay led faces for my 97 GLE but have not installed them yet. Love this site for it's pioneers and how to guides!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Nrw

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Didnt they sand off the blue film? Dont do it until you know for sure though. I remember someone saying you could sand the blue film to let the color through.
That only works on the tach IIRC
Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah, sanding works for 1 of the 4 gauges.

Last edited by tcaughey; 06-16-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow. I didn't even know you could change the color of the lights. I need to slap myself. Looks good. How much did it cost in Blood, Sweat and Tears?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 AM

^^^
It's cheap, but time consuming. FYI, in the Maxima, there is NO WAY to make your gauges the pure white color, as shown in the very first post. I've tried every single method, with LED's (different sizes, outputs), hyperwhite bulbs, 194 and 74 sizes, combinations of the two sizes, etc. Hence, the title of this thread. What happens is due to the blue filter, you get a very light blueish output. It's not bad, but NOT white. My theory is, the digital cameras that took the pictures in the first posting made the output "appear" more "white" than they really were.

Now changing your color to blue, green, or even red (weak output), works great. White is impossible, and I've given up. I'll just stick with the light blue.