4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Haunted Bose Radio and clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM

Haunted Bose Radio and clock

1998 SE w/Bose:

Ok, I've *never* had a problem with this car before, but I'm turning left on the way to work the other day, and the radio shuts off, the antenna retracts and the clock goes dead. As I'm looking at this in near total disbelief, she comes back on again, antenna goes back up and the clock comes back on.

No problems for about a week...., then

It does the same thing again -- while turning left at a light, the radio goes off, antenna down, clock goes off for about 30 seconds, then it all comes back on again. Same station, same volume, like it was never off.

I SWEAR my dead ex-wife is turning it on and off. The Max is the only thing she didn't get in the divorce settlement so it wouldn't surprise me if the old battleaxe crank was reaching out from the great beyond

Thoughts? Bad fuse? Loose wire? Supernatural explanations?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What about taking the radio/clock assembly's out of the dash, but still plugged into the harness. Then turn the key to acc, and (with the radio and clock on) jiggle the harness and see if they turn off. It could easily be a worn/lose wire in the harness losing contact on some turns.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by emoore924
1998 SE w/Bose:

Ok, I've *never* had a problem with this car before, but I'm turning left on the way to work the other day, and the radio shuts off, the antenna retracts and the clock goes dead. As I'm looking at this in near total disbelief, she comes back on again, antenna goes back up and the clock comes back on.

No problems for about a week...., then

It does the same thing again -- while turning left at a light, the radio goes off, antenna down, clock goes off for about 30 seconds, then it all comes back on again. Same station, same volume, like it was never off.

I SWEAR my dead ex-wife is turning it on and off. The Max is the only thing she didn't get in the divorce settlement so it wouldn't surprise me if the old battleaxe crank was reaching out from the great beyond

Thoughts? Bad fuse? Loose wire? Supernatural explanations?
check your battery terminals too its what was causing all my electrical nightmares...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 AM
No more Maximas...

Did you happen to do any work to the car recently? Somewhere in the center console?

92gxe/cg2's idea is what you should try, wiggle around the wiring harness and see what happens. Likely the connector is just loose and losing contact intermittently.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it was the battery connections causing this problem everything electrical would turn off, not just the clock and radio. If it was a connection problem the clock and radio would most like lose their memory while the car was off, when the cars on it runs off the alternator anyways so the clock and radio would would fine if the battery connections come undone while its running.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Battery con's are fine. I'll check the plug in the back of the radio...

But why the clock AND the radio at the same time? Are they connected on the same circuit or something? Same fuse perhaps? Anyone know?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
No more Maximas...

Battery con's are fine. I'll check the plug in the back of the radio...

But why the clock AND the radio at the same time? Are they connected on the same circuit or something? Same fuse perhaps? Anyone know?
IIRC they're on seperate fuses.

I believe they both split off of the main dash harness in the same place, so if that harness is moving, it's possible they're both being disconnected at the same time.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Do you happen to have a substantial stereo in your car, My 3 12inch Kickers have lead to my cd player to stop working and my clock to fade in and out< out most of the time and needing to be reset, witch is not worth it every 30 sec, Lose connections are my guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM

I believe they both split off of the main dash harness in the same place
Ok, that would explain it. Any hints on where in the dash this connection/split is, and what I might need to remove to get at it?

Tx
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
No more Maximas...

Ok, that would explain it. Any hints on where in the dash this connection/split is, and what I might need to remove to get at it?

Tx
Just the radio/climate control stack, and follow the harness.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 AM

my bose is haunted too. the lighting turns on whenever they feel like
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 PM

I doubt its any apparition driving you nuts with power issues, but more likely its a loose power or ground connection Check the FSM and see if both the clock and the radio receive power from the same fuse. They both have to retain information when the car is off so they both have to have fuses that come straight from the battery and the power does not pass through the ingnition switch. Since they are right next to each other, I would not be surprised to learn they share a fuse. If this is the case, there is a bad connection somewhere in that circut.

It also could be a bad ground connection. I know the radio grounds through the radio chassis. Not sure how the clock grounds. Again, check the FSM.

Loose connections almost always show up as "phantom" problems, coming and going with seemingly no reason. Occasionaly, they will occur with other problems, and that can drive you nuts because of the coincedence.