4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much is my car worth? Where can I sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Kevlo for President

I see these threads a lot some reason...

How much is my car worth?

Well honestly, don't ask us, we already have a car. Why not check where other people will check to see how much your car is worth? Look at these places:

www.kbb.com/

www.nadaguides.com/

www.edmunds.com/

There are more if you search online.

Well now that I know how much my car is worth where should I sell it?

Hmmmm. Now you can try to sell on the org where you might get SOME interest. Its worth a shot. You should also try:

www.craigslist.com

www.autotrader.com

www.cars.com

www.ebaymotors.com

Post an ad in the local papers if you like.

Are mods worth anything? Shouldn't I ask about that!!!!

No, generally mods DO NOT add value to a car. It will only help if you sell to someone looking to buy a modded car. You can decide how much extra value is added by modding. Don't think because you added a 3k supercharger kit that your car is worth 3grand more. It doesn't work like that. Do not post asking how much a modding car is worth. It can be anywhere from the prices from the websites above to a few grand more depending on the cars condition. You know how much work you put into your car so you decide how much that is worth to you.

If you have anything to add let me know.

Last edited by phenryiv1; 01-18-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Consolidating a few recent posts:

Looking at used car websites such as cars.com or autotrader (even craigslist) is a good way to estimate asking prices in your area. If the cars are disappearig from those sites, then that is at least an estimation of sale price.

No matter what, value is driven by market forces. For example, if you take your 4th Gen Maxima with 150,000+ miles to a dealer and trade it in, it might bring $1000 in trade value if it is in REALLy good condition. If it is average, it will be worth even less. Part of this is dependant on the cost of the vehicle being purchased, the "deal" already in place on the prospective purchase, and dozens of other factors.

So don't let bookfigures fool you, few dealerships are going to recondition a 150,000 mile car. Most don't like 13-year old cars regardless of miles, and your car is just going to go to auction, so they cannot really gauge what they will get for it. Thus, they won't want to sink any more into it than they have to to get you to buy their car.

Sometimes it is worth more to keep your car than selling it, unless you are desparate of a quick buck. You are almost always better off selling it privately, unless you live in a state where there is a sales tax offset when trading a vehicke. Still, a 4th gen is a minimum of 10 years old. The value offset is not likely to be that great.