4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear valve cover gasket-repair info

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sleepless
Question on same image, what is this part here, attached to the bottom of throttle body
Mine is corroded to heck, I'm afraid to touch it, it's going to fall apart in pieces!
That looks like the fast idle cam on the side of the throttle body.

Can't imagine why it would be corroded.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ATTappman
That looks like the fast idle cam on the side of the throttle body.

Can't imagine why it would be corroded.
Thank You for the part name.

I'd add more, pics, etc, but I don't want to thread crap against OPs original topic more than I already have.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM

does any one know the part number for the spark plug tube seal for 03 maxima
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

so is replacing the intake manifold gasket necessary? since it's just routing air... if the gasket's in good condition, why replace?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 PM

I took the Hood OFF!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by krislogan
Hey guys. I have a 97 Max with 394k miles on it. I am just now having the major oil leak fixed (valves). It can get pretty messy. The whole bottom of my car was covered in oil. I am having both done and its costing me almost $800.00.
wow, im bumping this cause im doing my valve gaskets etc., next week and wondered exactly where do i put the rtv sealant??? just around the bolts on valve covers??? where else should it go??? thanks>>>
Old 01-01-2011, 06:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by max ride 41
wow, im bumping this cause im doing my valve gaskets etc., next week and wondered exactly where do i put the rtv sealant??? just around the bolts on valve covers??? where else should it go??? thanks>>>
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sleepless
Sorry if I'm thread-jacking this one... Got one question before I get into this job:

Problems: Both Valve covers have slight leaks, rear much worse (firewall side). Was trying to avoid this job, but now I'm forced to get in there.

What I found doing a spark plug change... last plug, far right (driver side rear) was full of oil, can't even see the plug, I'm not going to pull the plug until I get a turkey baster in there or something to syphen the oil out.
(suggestions?)
Question: Do I need to replace the o-ring seals? The ones that I see seated in the actual valve cover?
thats probably your leak and if you get the fel-pros they come with new ones why not replace them

to the op; i did mine and it was not that bad i took me 4 hrs i also cleaned the uim and lim that alone made a HUGE difference. just remember the vacuum line nuder the manifold and the stubborn bracket bolts and you should be fine. the kit: 60 bones, labor: $0, knowing how to work on your own car: priceless. theres somethings money cant buy for everything else theres maxima.org
Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM

2 more quick questions, what type of rtv do i use, and what do i clean the surface with before reinstalling new gaskets?? thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
thats probably your leak and if you get the fel-pros they come with new ones why not replace them

to the op; i did mine and it was not that bad i took me 4 hrs i also cleaned the uim and lim that alone made a HUGE difference. just remember the vacuum line nuder the manifold and the stubborn bracket bolts and you should be fine. the kit: 60 bones, labor: $0, knowing how to work on your own car: priceless. theres somethings money cant buy for everything else theres maxima.org
maybe you did'nt notice the date on this thread, it was from last year
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 AM

WHOLY CRAP well now its back from the dead
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Not really as its still relevant information and I far as I can see there's no stickies or how to on this subject.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just put some rtv on the left side of the valve cover (when looking at it standing from the front bumper) when i did the right bank and it hasn't leaked any. You should see some leftover rtv where the valve cover seal starts to rise on the left part. I just put it in those two corners
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 more quick questions, what type of rtv do i use, and what do i clean the surface with before reinstalling new gaskets?? thanks
I used high temp red rtv silicone gasket maker

I cleaned valve cover crap out of the way with q-tips carefully making sure to not get any in the engine.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM

I just got qoute of 400 plus for this job from nissan dealer. I am not sure what all they planned on replacing though. I would like to beat that price but am worried about the quality of work from non nissan shop. Any suggestions for lower Illinois/St. louis area shops? I am not qualified to tear the top end off of my motor and it would cost me more if I did it myself to replace whatever I break. LOL.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 66slim
I just got qoute of 400 plus for this job from nissan dealer. I am not sure what all they planned on replacing though. I would like to beat that price but am worried about the quality of work from non nissan shop. Any suggestions for lower Illinois/St. louis area shops? I am not qualified to tear the top end off of my motor and it would cost me more if I did it myself to replace whatever I break. LOL.
make a trip up to elgin and ill beat any price
Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM

i did the whole thing for about 380.00 with new plugs too. guy did a pretty good job but then tells me there's an oil leak on passeger side and im like, wtf??? was it oil or power steering fluid???he said it was'nt much,and was'nt sure cant trust anyone anymore...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by krislogan
Hey guys. I have a 97 Max with 394k miles on it. I am just now having the major oil leak fixed (valves). It can get pretty messy. The whole bottom of my car was covered in oil. I am having both done and its costing me almost $800.00.
Your putting $800 into a car with 400k miles on it?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dougy Trah
Your putting $800 into a car with 400k miles on it?
hey if it runs i say why not
its either a car note or the mechanic it all boils down to which ones cheaper
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM

rear vc gasket

Best way to disassemble one of these is with a digital camera,take lots of pics,no, better yet,use a video camera,no , better yet get your GF to disassemble it while you video it,the playback would be much more interesting.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Great thread, thanks!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear valve cover gasket replacement.

I have replaced valvecover gaskets, and it is still leaking in corner of rear valve cover. One spot with a drip! So I did the job again, and still leaking! One more time new gasket and still leaking only from that damn corner in the back!! FRUSTRATED!!! Is it warped?? Need sugestions! HELP! Some one told me it is warped and need to elivate gasket in corner!. Did that still same leak. Big Job! What now???
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nizvin
I have replaced valvecover gaskets, and it is still leaking in corner of rear valve cover. One spot with a drip! So I did the job again, and still leaking! One more time new gasket and still leaking only from that damn corner in the back!! FRUSTRATED!!! Is it warped?? Need sugestions! HELP! Some one told me it is warped and need to elivate gasket in corner!. Did that still same leak. Big Job! What now???
You are cleaning the mating surface and applying RTV as indicated, correct?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Are you sure its your valve cover gaskets and not your rear timing cover O-rings?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by turbizzy
Are you sure its your valve cover gaskets and not your rear timing cover O-rings?
I have the same issue and all I feel is a little oil right below the rear vc gasket on the passenger side. Everywhere else is dry.
I recall while researching this job someone mentioned using rtv on the gasket and extra in the corners but no luck for me
Old 10-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Anyone have a suggestion for this?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by sjonesist
Anyone have a suggestion for this?
As I posted above, are you cleaning it up and using the RTV properly?

Have you checked to make sure it is actually coming from the valve cover gasket and not the timing cover, as stated?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
As I posted above, are you cleaning it up and using the RTV properly?

Have you checked to make sure it is actually coming from the valve cover gasket and not the timing cover, as stated?
I cleaned the surfaces with brake cleaner and placed a little dab of rtv sealant inside the vc at every inch or so. I then ran a thin bead of rtv along the outside of the gasket and a little extra in the corners where the vc meets up with the tc cover. Every thing seemed fine until maybe 3 or 4 months later. I'll double check tomorrow but i'm pretty sure the leak is coming from the vc. It's not very much but I notice a small drip when the car is parked in the garage.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM

The tc case seems fine, it seems like that corner next to the tc cover on the rear valve cover is the source of a very
small leak. I don't mean to jack this thread but I like nizvin am experiencing the same issue and I spend a few days in an effort to be through.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm getting ready to do this myself, found oil in cylinder #6 plug hole. Will try to take pics and post them tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM

This should be made into a sticky
Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Did my rear valve cover last night; come to find the cylinder six spark plug grommet was shoved all the way down, I could see the damn cam bolts when I took out the coil pack. Took plenty of pictures, plan on making a thread tomorrow if I can get enough posts.

Took me two hours just to get the valve cover bolt out after I torqued it off like an idiot.

Now to change my engine mounts... or what's left of them :/
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by comingup
Did my rear valve cover last night; come to find the cylinder six spark plug grommet was shoved all the way down, I could see the damn cam bolts when I took out the coil pack. Took plenty of pictures, plan on making a thread tomorrow if I can get enough posts.

Took me two hours just to get the valve cover bolt out after I torqued it off like an idiot.

Now to change my engine mounts... or what's left of them :/
Cylinder 6 is on the front bank...
Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Cylinder 6 is on the front bank...
haha my bad, 5 I mean 5.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Donald199
The two rear IM bolt and EGR bolts can easily be removed with one of these offset wrench

Its like 4 bucks at autozone when you buy them separate

Tried to find the offset wrenches, but apparently my parts stores (autozone and discount) no longer carry them. Guy at Autzone said they are not being manufactured any more. Anyway, it was very easy to remove the bolts with a basic 3/8 socket wrench. Couple twists of the socket, then twisted off by hand.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Any help on how to remove the hoses back by the EGR tube would be most appreciated. I believe that's the last items I need to remove now.

Perhaps these are the hoses that some people mentioned cutting and replacing? Seems like that might be a good idea at this point.

Last edited by ddcoons; 12-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 AM

While working on my valve cover gasket job, I noticed that there's a sensor on my timing chain cover that is leaking oil.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raccoons/6583019145/

I'm trying to figure out what sensor this is. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ddcoons
While working on my valve cover gasket job, I noticed that there's a sensor on my timing chain cover that is leaking oil.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raccoons/6583019145/

I'm trying to figure out what sensor this is. Any help would be appreciated.
That's the cam sensor, all you need is the o-ring.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM

That's the cam sensor, all you need is the o-ring.
Thanks. I'll pick one up today. I removed the sensor and will take it along with me. The O-ring appears to be very stiff and inflexible, so clearly worn out.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yo I'm do this 2morow just letting everybody know this is some good knowledge here thanks alot my peeps. I'll keep u updated if I need any help

Quick Reply: rear valve cover gasket-repair info