4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help !!! my car is hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Help !!! my car is hard to start

Hi guys I have change everything I can think of on my car except the ecu .. this is what happens I turn the key and it cranks and cranks but it doesn't start it wants to but it doesn't and than I smell gas and it backs fires I got a code for crank sensor I replace it and it crank about three times and it start it .. the problem is that I let it warm up and than I turn it off but it just cranks and cranks .. after it starts it runs excelent and it idles perfect and everything is fine but I turn it off and its very hard to start and it backs fires all the time Im cranking .. can it be that the ecu is bad ? right know is not showing any codes .. can I use a 1995 automatic ecu on my 1995 manual ? it seems that there is no not enought spark .. what else can it be ? can it be injectors ? fuel pump ?

thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM

I have the same problem. Mine's a 95 also. I've tried fuel injection cleaner, and that hasn't worked.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM

coils checked/changed as well?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM

I had the same problem , not sure if it going to work for you but i just sanded and adjust the ground cable for the starter and it work 100% . Cranks up and fire 1st try. Let me know if that would work.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
No more Maximas...

Run a ground directly from the negative battery terminal to one of the mounting bolts for the starter, see if that helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM

in my case I have replace the coils , sparkplugs , MAF , both crank sensor , cam sensor and I already have ground wire everywhere .. for what ever reason I think is not getting a good spark .. i had change the wiring harness cuz i blew the engine my car being a 5 speed is not easy to find around here in MA , so i had to use one from an automatic I'm not sure if it makes a difference .. i have check everything and everything seems to be right .. and is only to start after it starts it runs beautiful .. if I have a bad ecu will it throw a code .. right now there are no codes but I hear it backfire .. wher else can I look .. it seems that this is common on maxima !!

Thanks everyone !!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the same problem and i as well replaced everything, even the fuel pump, i went to my cousins shop today and he put it on the computer and it was the knock sensor so im gonna fo change that, thats the sensor under the intake manifold, i think its two of them, but not sure, u can see and change it without removing the manifold, but the sensors are 130 a piece or something like that.....rediculous but thats wat the computer diagnostic said it is
Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Well guys I still haven't found the problem , i have change and try everything and still it will not start I did find that the coils are getting power but Im not getting spark even thou I have change all the coils but I test for spark it it looks like it get spark and than I don't .. I also forgot to mention that I have an aluminum flywheel and I was reading and I guess there is some flywheels with tow holes one for fwd and one for rwd mine has only one hole .. Im almost 99% sure I match the hole on the crank with the hole on the flywheel .. will it make a different if I didn't math the hole ? Im at a dead end here and I need my car ...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Abimax95
Well guys I still haven't found the problem , i have change and try everything and still it will not start I did find that the coils are getting power but Im not getting spark even thou I have change all the coils but I test for spark it it looks like it get spark and than I don't .. I also forgot to mention that I have an aluminum flywheel and I was reading and I guess there is some flywheels with tow holes one for fwd and one for rwd mine has only one hole .. Im almost 99% sure I match the hole on the crank with the hole on the flywheel .. will it make a different if I didn't math the hole ? Im at a dead end here and I need my car ...
It could be your fuel injectors going bad.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Hi guys i have change just about everything in this freaking car and nothing I change all coils , all spark plugs , all sensors eccep KS , fuel injectors , fuel pump and still nothing the only thing I have not change is KS and ecm my luck is that I have a bad ecm .. great !! since my car is a 5 speed ..makes it that much more fun finding the ecm !!!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Read the thread: Another starting problem - replaced everything.....

I had posted the following information:

OMFG! This thing really needs to be stickied! Or at least a quick link or write-up needs to be done on the 4th gen FAQ's!

Q: Why does my car crank and crank and crank and pops and cranks and sometimes rpm fluctuates up to 1k rpms and cranks some more and then sometimes finally start?

A: Over time your ground wires will corrode. You must replace/clean your ground wires or create more grounds from your starter/tranny bellhousing to your chassis/negative battery terminal. IE.
Ground Wire 1: Connect a ground wire from the 17 mm bolt (LONG ONE) to your negative battery terminal (Or a point on your chassis)
Ground Wire 2: Connect a ground wire from a bolt on your transimission's bellhousing (Not a bolt that connects your transmission to your engine) to your negative battery terminal (Or a point on your chassis).
***NOTE*** If you bolt your second ground wire to a bolt that holds the engine/tranny together, this may cause you problems (As it did Tavarish) because it puts your Crank Sensor Out of wack***
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks 1chewabacha1 i have done that i have put them by the starter by the bell housing everywhere that everyone has said , but still nothing I'm not getting enought or not at all spark .. once I started it I check the timming and it is off by at least 3/4 of an inch space .. why I don't know i did isntall a Findanza flywheel but can't be sure 100% that is installed corect I'm about 99% sure that I match the holes ..

thanks