4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Interior Whine when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Interior Whine when Accelerating

In my 98 SE, I just noticed what sounds like alternator whine coming over the front speakers (with the stereo off). The problem is this only happens under a load when the car is accelerating, not cruising or idle. Go up a hill, there is the noise. Pass a car, there is the noise. Does anyone know what this may be? Please help.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 PM

Do you still have the stock stereo system or did you upgrade anything with the sound system?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 AM

Still the stock Bose, no other amps or other electronics (radar detector, ac/dc converter, etc.)...

Jeff
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 AM

i had the same issue. mine was always present, however. not necessarily annoying but always there.

went away when i replaced all my coil packs.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 AM

I hv exactly the same problem and i was thinking maybe its the belts but not sure. i changed my coil packs a year ago, and have been experiencing this sound even before that. Will be interested to know the fix for this ... thx
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM

Would it be the Electronic engine motor mounts ? Does the problem go away after a few seconds?

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...sy-change.html
Old 10-31-2008, 11:55 AM

if its just occasional it wouldnt mean its an alternator cuz a dying alternator keeps dying it would not stop whining
Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Could it be the transmission?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 PM

Check the connection to the antena behind your radio may be loose, dirty or touching ground. If it continues and you are sure the sound is coming from the speakers you might want to install a ground loop isolator (it goes between the antena connection and the radio) there's another isolator that you can use on your rca's... but can't remember the name.

Not sure if this will help since everything you have is stock, i've never experienced that sound with factory radio only after market.......post up in the audio forum, maybe one of the guys there can better assist you.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 PM

your ground to the head unit is loose or 1 of the speaker wires is loose and/or dirty. alternator whine is possible, might also be a loose wire in there somewhere.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Mine makes the same noise, but I bought the ebay supercharger sound noise. Its a little box that you plug into your tach wire that goes to your audio so when you rev ur engine it screams like a supercharger. +70hp.

j/k

Originally Posted by maxpeed96plat.
Check the connection to the antena behind your radio may be loose, dirty or touching ground. If it continues and you are sure the sound is coming from the speakers you might want to install a ground loop isolator (it goes between the antena connection and the radio) there's another isolator that you can use on your rca's... but can't remember the name.

Not sure if this will help since everything you have is stock, i've never experienced that sound with factory radio only after market.......post up in the audio forum, maybe one of the guys there can better assist you.

I second this, mine always had a while almost like the one described. It was actually due to a shoddy install of an aftermarket deck by the previous owner. The antenna wasn't plugged in all the way And there was a wire that was partly exposed that was wrapped poorly in electrical tape up against it.

As far as the antenna being grounded though, I don't think that would cause any problems because it is grounded as is. To my knowledge the factory wiring harness has no spot for ground. The stock setup grounds through the casing and/or antenna. With my aftermarket deck there was no ground through the case, so my only ground actually was plugging the antenna in.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by turbolaw99
In my 98 SE, I just noticed what sounds like alternator whine coming over the front speakers (with the stereo off). The problem is this only happens under a load when the car is accelerating, not cruising or idle. Go up a hill, there is the noise. Pass a car, there is the noise. Does anyone know what this may be? Please help.

Thanks,

Jeff
yea i know where your coming but i cant figure it out also.............mines like a whistling sound(low but you can hear it) but i have a new alternator so i really dont think its that.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM

When ever I'm listening to my ipod at low volume or inbetween songs I hear a high pitch whine very faint and its proportional to engine speed, everyone who rides with me is like, "dude do you turbo?!" which makes good for jokes when I'm like turbo baby! and floor it and its like whineeeee whineeee

Here's a quote on the subject from another forum: "What you're hearing is alternator whine. The frontend of the amp in your tunes is reacting to dirty power and passing it through to your speakers."

So the culprit is a ground loop, which can be fixed easily. Head over to radioshack. It doesn't bother me, I think its hilarious.