4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Intake Question

Ok guys..... i am back with yet another question for the day. o_O

ok.... i do not know how many of you actually have a BOMZ Cold Air Intake, but here are a couple of photos of my intake, and my whistling problem..

most of you also have this whistle with other intakes.. but since this is a BOMZ intake, iono whether it would make a difference. but here are the pictures.

here is the little plug on my intake that i can't seem to seal up... and sometimes when it starts, it kinda chokes at times.. cuz of that plug drawing air in.. giving it inaccurate readings i guess.. i have tried everything to plug it up but no luck... jb weld didn't help either..

so what are suggestions or DIY for this? any help is appreciated. thanks so much

and the black stuff that is keeping it from going in is electrical tape.. ELECTRICAL TAPE FTW!!

and by the way.... give me your inputs on this as well.. i got the best battery on the market. the world famous "neverstart" battery.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
oem ftw!

What happened to your intake air temperature sensor? That's what the hole is for.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
What happened to your intake air temperature sensor? That's what the hole is for.

dude really?

thanks man... well... it is just dangling out and about... NOT GOOD..

but how do i come about and put it in? and have a good seal at the same time? maybe BOMZ knows? but they do not answer their emails or phone calls
Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Well, to start, I think you have it set up wrong. Here is how it should be:

To seal the sensor hole, I used black silicone sealant around the grommet and then on the sensor where it touches the grommet. As far as I know, it doesn't leak.

I may be able to get better pictures tomorrow.

David
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM

OK here is the deal. First of all where is ur Mass Air flow sensor??? u need that!!! and u are also going to need to remove ur battery to cut a hole for the intake tube to go down. If u search the forum u should find a BOMBZ intake template u can use!! The pics above should help!! i have the same intake...and get the same "whistle noise" its just the sound of it sucking in air. U do also need ur air temp sensor hooked in somehow. I however didnt use that plug bc u would have to drill into the intake tubing. Here is what i did. remove one of ur spectre couplers and feed the temp sensor inside the tubing and then put the coupler back on over the wire. then tighten everything back up!! i didnt put the air temp sensor on at first and my CEL came on. Now that i have it in the tubing my CEL is no longer on. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by dfruits; 10-24-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 PM
oem ftw!

When I had the bomz intake, i just put the sensor in the hole and the rubber held it in place... As posted above you can use silicone to make sure that it stays in.

A side note, though, where is your MAF?! That setup just does not look right. My BOMZ intake went down into the fender well and required the drilling of a 3.25" hole beneath the battery tray. Is your check engine light on?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM

omfg....this is hilarious. Why is the intake shooting straight down?!?! lollllllllll

that intake sensor doesnt really do **** but it'll serve as a better plug then whatever your doing with the electrical tape. Seriously though dude...you need to read a manual or something before you touch things under the hood lol.

Last edited by chillin014; 10-24-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dfruits
OK here is the deal. First of all where is ur Mass Air flow sensor??? u need that!!! and u are also going to need to remove ur battery to cut a hole for the intake tube to go down. If u search the forum u should find a BOMBZ intake template u can use!! The pics above should help!! i have the same intake...and get the same "whistle noise" its just the sound of it sucking in air. U do also need ur air temp sensor hooked in somehow. I however didnt use that plug bc u would have to drill into the intake tubing. Here is what i did. remove one of ur spectre couplers and feed the temp sensor inside the tubing and then put the coupler back on over the wire. then tighten everything back up!! i didnt put the air temp sensor on at first and my CEL came on. Now that i have it in the tubing my CEL is no longer on. GOOD LUCK!!!

if you look at the second picture of my intake above... you will see the MAF sensor... can't miss it.. i have it directly after the filter..
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
omfg....this is hilarious. Why is the intake shooting straight down?!?! lollllllllll

that intake sensor doesnt really do **** but it'll serve as a better plug then whatever your doing with the electrical tape. Seriously though dude...you need to read a manual or something before you touch things under the hood lol.
well, i appologize man.... i didn't want to cut into my car.. i could try to cut the fender well someday.. but i def. need to get that MAF towards the top ASAP.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by dkillahster
well, i appologize man.... i didn't want to cut into my car.. i could try to cut the fender well someday.. but i def. need to get that MAF towards the top ASAP.
If you don't want to drill the hole, you could get the MAF back up to the top and just eliminate the curved tube altogether; it's not really serving its purpose if you do not drill the hole for it. Basically you would turn it into a short ram style intake - TB-> midpipe-> MAF-> MAF adapter/cone filter. Your performance would be about the same, because your current setup isn't really accomplishing much besides sucking in warm air (kind of like the Injen style intakes). If you installed the intake just for the sound, you won't lose any sound by running it as a short ram. To be honest, aftermarket intakes don't really add anything to our cars apart from sound.

Last edited by CRiME; 10-24-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dfruits
U do also need ur air temp sensor hooked in somehow. I however didnt use that plug bc u would have to drill into the intake tubing. Here is what i did. remove one of ur spectre couplers and feed the temp sensor inside the tubing and then put the coupler back on over the wire. then tighten everything back up!!
I wouldn't do it this way, use the appropriate hole that is there already.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM

If you don't want to drill the hole, you could get the MAF back up to the top and just eliminate the curved tube altogether; it's not really serving its purpose if you do not drill the hole for it. Basically you would turn it into a short ram style intake - TB-> midpipe-> MAF-> MAF adapter/cone filter. Your performance would be about the same, because your current setup isn't really accomplishing much besides sucking in warm air from the radiator fans. If you installed the intake just for the sound, you won't lose any sound by running it as a short ram. To be honest, aftermarket intakes don't really add anything to our cars apart from sound.

yeah, i know.. that is what i was worried about.. i read on the org somehwere.. that they had the CAI, the factory intake and the short ram and the difference in power..

and i figured that if i did the short ram... i would have wasted a bunch of my time buying it and could have had my home made pop charger on it... and secondly, i wasn't doing it for the sound... but as i read before.. they said the factory air box had mid range power.. the cold air.. i meant warm air intake, technically a cold air when you drive... has high end power gain.. and the short ram has low end power??? correct me if i am wrong, but that is what i fear... loss of performance.. and such. but iono... i want to keep the intake in the car.. i might drill a hole.. but i like your idea better since, 1, it will keep water out, 2, the maf would be in a much safer enviroment, and 3, it shouldn't suck in as much warm air than it did before.. but iono.. what you think about it?

and plus i aint the type of guy to be like... Screw you.. i want to do what makes me happy... i am only 18.. i take risk and see consequences then learn from it.. i am glad to take any type of advice from anyone. i learn something new about my maxima everyday.

Last edited by dkillahster; 10-24-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM
oem ftw!

yeah, i know.. that is what i was worried about.. i read on the org somehwere.. that they had the CAI, the factory intake and the short ram and the difference in power..

and i figured that if i did the short ram... i would have wasted a bunch of my time buying it and could have had my home made pop charger on it... and secondly, i wasn't doing it for the sound... but as i read before.. they said the factory air box had mid range power.. the cold air.. i meant warm air intake, technically a cold air when you drive... has high end power gain.. and the short ram has low end power??? correct me if i am wrong, but that is what i fear... loss of performance.. and such. but iono... i want to keep the intake in the car.. i might drill a hole.. but i like your idea better since, 1, it will keep water out, 2, the maf would be in a much safer enviroment, and 3, it shouldn't suck in as much warm air than it did before.. but iono.. what you think about it?

and plus i aint the type of guy to be like... Screw you.. i want to do what makes me happy... i am only 18.. i take risk and see consequences then learn from it.. i am glad to take any type of advice from anyone. i learn something new about my maxima everyday.
I guess you can keep it the way you have it at the moment, but I would be concerned about water and the MAF location also. Just get the intake air temp. sensor in there and put a little silicone to hold it in place.

Don't worry about drilling the hole man, trust me. When I bought the BOMZ, I put off drilling the hole for a couple months too and ran it as a short ram. Finally went to home depot and bought the 3.25" hole saw bit, and I was done with the install in about 30 minutes. If you decide to do it, I have a template that might help you with the marking & drilling of the hole. Best part is that you will have a "true CAI", since the filter will be in its own clean, safe compartment, separate from the heat of the engine bay
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM

here is how yours SHOULD be set up

Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM

not a big deal, I got a laugh out of it.

Your worrying about minuscule gains honestly...as far as the low/mid/high range. I sound pessimistic but I've done it all and it seems any gains/losses are placebo.

tigersharkman you sure do have alot of wire loom...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Just a little FYI but having your CAI in the middle of your engine is a little counter productive. Its sucking in warm air from the transmission and the radiator. You are probably loosing HP with it like that. also... I would recommend using some hot glue to seal up the whole... works wonders.

I know cutting into the car can seem scary but it's kinda easy if you have the template and a dremel. You should have a little faith in yourself and just do it so you use you intake as it was ment to be a cai.

Also you would have to drive through a pretty large puddle for water to even be and issue.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:38 PM

not a big deal, I got a laugh out of it.

Your worrying about minuscule gains honestly...as far as the low/mid/high range. I sound pessimistic but I've done it all and it seems any gains/losses are placebo.

tigersharkman you sure do have alot of wire loom...

thanks man.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM

I guess you can keep it the way you have it at the moment, but I would be concerned about water and the MAF location also. Just get the intake air temp. sensor in there and put a little silicone to hold it in place.

Don't worry about drilling the hole man, trust me. When I bought the BOMZ, I put off drilling the hole for a couple months too and ran it as a short ram. Finally went to home depot and bought the 3.25" hole saw bit, and I was done with the install in about 30 minutes. If you decide to do it, I have a template that might help you with the marking & drilling of the hole. Best part is that you will have a "true CAI", since the filter will be in its own clean, safe compartment, separate from the heat of the engine bay

please send it to my email.. or send a link.. that wud be great man.

dkillahster@gmail.com
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
here is how yours SHOULD be set up

well.. at least i aint ashamed of my neverstart battery since u have one
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
oem ftw!

please send it to my email.. or send a link.. that wud be great man.

dkillahster@gmail.com
No problem, here it is:

Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 PM

No problem, here it is:

thanks bro.. ima get started on it this weekend... but ima head out to bed.. will post new pictures soon ... I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Wow, thats a first where I have seen that install get so botched. Yah man get to work on getting that fixed this weekend.

Also check out my setup if you are feeling adventurous and try using the stock resonator box with the CAI bend. I feel its the best setup.

http://s4.tinypic.com/292kvf5.jpg
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

i don't want to jack the thread but i see pics with these intakes from guys with AT...
that's what i have and i noticed a big loss on the bottom end. that's until i cut it
after cutting off as much as possible off the mid pipe and intake pipe i got my bottom
back and the car feels more responsive as in i can finally spin tires without dumping into D.
just something to think about.

Last edited by allensteiner21; 10-24-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
i don't want to jack the thread but i see pics with these intakes from guys with AT...
that's what i have and i noticed a big loss on the bottom end. that's until i cut it
after cutting off as much as possible off the mid pipe and intake pipe i got my bottom
back and the car feels more responsive as in i can finally spin tires without dumping into D.
That's why I'm using the stock resonator box, I found it helped with exactly what you are talking about. It probably is just head games, but after switching to this setup last year I haven't gone back. In the long run it just comes down to what everyone wants to believe is best.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 AM

tigersharkdude you sure do have alot of wire loom...
at least it aint blue
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 AM

well.. at least i aint ashamed of my neverstart battery since u have one
knock on wood, it has never failed me
Old 10-25-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
lol WUT?

spinning the tires has less to do with power than you think. Especially if your neutral dropping the ****. just stop.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
knock on wood, it has never failed me

it has failed me miserably...

iono why it dies so fast... my friend can have his sound system playing for about 30 minutes.... at full blast.. with the hood and trunk up.. and yet he can still crank it up... but for me.. i have less than 10 minutes on full blast... with music, and everything open..
Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
Wow, thats a first where I have seen that install get so botched. Yah man get to work on getting that fixed this weekend.

Also check out my setup if you are feeling adventurous and try using the stock resonator box with the CAI bend. I feel its the best setup.

http://s4.tinypic.com/292kvf5.jpg

i feel so jacked.... i do not think my intake is a true bomz intake....

it only has the bomz filter... oh well... that is what you get for buying from ebay i guess... which is where everything i got for this car came from..

-___-
Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM

in the end its all just tubing and a filter. One material might dissipate heat better than the other.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

i feel so jacked.... i do not think my intake is a true bomz intake....

it only has the bomz filter... oh well... that is what you get for buying from ebay i guess... which is where everything i got for this car came from..

-___-
true bomz like they're a good company...mine's a no-name and looks and does the same - don't worry about it. ebay is at least cheap and it's better (smarter) to spend $30 on ebay for an intake than $200+ from injen or other. same with headlights and many other parts - most of them made with small chinese hands
Old 10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

lol WUT?

spinning the tires has less to do with power than you think. Especially if your neutral dropping the ****. just stop.
i thought spinning tires had something to do with torque?
i guess i was wrong...+ i said i can spin without dumping into D
Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 AM

bomz intake is just good for the tube for the price 30$ in my opinion, theres much better filters out there
Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 PM

someone please lock this thread... i got all the info i needed out of this...

and thanks to those who helped me on this...