4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can't get rear hub off

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:02 PM

can't get rear hub off

Ok, so i'd had a bit of bad luck so far. So i know that my left rear bearing is bad..so i order one from dave b..arrived here in a few days...great!!! going to do it this weekend.

So i take off my wheel and caliper, noticed that my caliper bracket pin is stuck..no biggie, cause my right front did that, so i bought all new calipers since i think some of them have been seized and i wanted to do some maintenance.

So i take the cotter pin out, and started to unbolt the 30mm bolt. I had rented a torque/breaker bar, i winded up messing the bar up cause it wont spin freely after i had bounced on the bar for about 15 min., but i was able to take the bolt out. Tried to take the rotor off, it was stuck onto the hub, so i spray some brake cleaner and started to hit the rotor. Put some notches in the rotor, but doesn't matter, just going to buy a new rotor or get it resurfaced.

I wanted to the the abs sensor off so it woudln't break it, winded up breaking the bolt to the sensor off, but the sensor isn't even budging so i'll worry about it later.

So i open the box, n there it was...a NON-abs hub!!!! i was like ok..i'll call dave b tomorrow, and i'll just slip the ABS-hub on when it comes in.

But after everything, and about an hour of hammering, the hub is NOT coming off. i tried basically everything. It's possibly since i didn't realize my bearing was bad, and have been driving around with a bad bearing for about 6 months, its probably why it's stuck. So here's my question. How am i suppose to get it off??

I've replaced both my front axles, and it just slid off. so i'm not sure what to do. If i take it to a mechanic, i wanted to get a quote and have set price. But i'm afraid that since it is stuck, he's going to charge me an arm and a leg for labor. So is there a way to take off the rear hub??? Is it suppose to slide off???
Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM

did a little searching on google, and didn't realize there's a hub puller, going to call autozone tomorrow and see if that is a tool i can rent..
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Don't be afraid to use force. If you are using a lift, get under the car and hit it with a metal hammer as hard as you can until it pops off, as when I tried to get one off a junkyard car, I spent 15 minutes hammering at it until it broke free.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:52 AM

To remove the brake rotor install two screws in the open threaded holes and tighten evenly the rotor will break loose.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
To remove the brake rotor install two screws in the open threaded holes and tighten evenly the rotor will break loose.
yea...but it wasn't the rotor that was stuck..it was the hub assembly...anyways..got the tools from autozone....removed the hub in 10 seconds....thank god for making hub puller with slide hammer attached to it..