4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How To: Get Rid of ANY Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 PM

How To: Get Rid of ANY Brake Dust

Hey, guys I decided to post this once I finally had it with all the baked on brake dust that was impossible to remove with any cleaner...and I tired Everything you can name...Nothing would remove this...Until Today...

WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES, AND CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES!! This is a MUST!!

Before...

After...
BE CAREFUL This stuff means business, just look at how clean it got my caliper just from sitting on there for 30-45 seconds!!

Ignore the rusted rotor, that's from water, it will come off with first use of brakes. My wheels, are even more shiny, because the above finished photo was taken before I polished them

The Process
  1. Rinse Wheels to remove loose dirt with hose
  2. Spray 4:1 Diluted Wheel Brightener onto wheels
  3. Let soak for 30-45 Seconds NO MORE
  4. Then begin to lightly scrub with #0000 Extra Fine Steel Wool
  5. After desired cleanliness is obtained thoroughly rinse with water
  6. Optional: Wash wheels with soap and water to ensure all brightener was removed
  7. Use a polish such as Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, something safe for Alloy Wheels, to put a protective and shiny coating on your now clean wheels

The Required Things
I used Meguiars Wheel Brightener, Item # D14001

Dilute it 4:1 as directed in Wheel Brightener Bottle Item # D20140 or a 32 ounce bottle
I would not dilute this solution, any more than this as it would be too strong, and trust me, If you have looked at the photos this was done with Very Light agitation with #0000 Steel Wool, it's smooth enough that it wont scratch your wheels, if you press lightly.

Last edited by btvenom; 09-30-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Looks like it works good, we use a product called NU-WALL at work(car wash ha). That stuff we have is very potent. We dilute 5 parts water 1 part nu-wall. Our stuff will make the inside of the wheel look like new without scrubbing, of course I spray it off with a pressure washer but yea good product.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Nice post, this should definitely be moved to the detailing section.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything we can buy locally similar to this?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 PM

i just washed my car today and was thinking about what i was going to do about all the baked on brake dust that wouldn't come off. I had no idea what i was going to to but i guess this answers my problem. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM

awww damnnit, scrubbing still included. Might as well stick to my normal soap and water routine just before washing the car.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 AM

is this stuff safe for the car paint?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM

hey this is great...i got aftermarket wheels and its got a gray color to it...do you think itll mess that up?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM

I used something like this at work, and it said right on the package only to use on OEM wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't ever use anything this abrasive on my wheels, as it eats away the clear coat...especially on aftermarket wheels.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM

^^^ yep, your wheels have gotta be pretty frickin dirty to use this stuff. my wheels never need more than a quick wipe down cause im **** about keepin them clean. when i see another max with baked on brake dust i think " man, i would never consider buying that car" cause its dirty so i figure they dont keep it maintained mechanically either. you know what they say, " first impressions and all......
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
is this stuff safe for the car paint?
I wouldnt spray it on your cars paint, but just make sure if you see overspray onto your car that you spray it off really well.

Originally Posted by Feldman
i just washed my car today and was thinking about what i was going to do about all the baked on brake dust that wouldn't come off. I had no idea what i was going to to but i guess this answers my problem. Thanks!
No problem glad I could help!

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I used something like this at work, and it said right on the package only to use on OEM wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't ever use anything this abrasive on my wheels, as it eats away the clear coat...especially on aftermarket wheels.
It depends what the wheel is made out of, it's not safe to use on uncoated alluminum wheels.

But used in the Correct dilution ratio, it's safe to use on anything! Except uncoated alluminum...

Originally Posted by Snypa
awww damnnit, scrubbing still included. Might as well stick to my normal soap and water routine just before washing the car.
Haha, you really dont have to scrub... I just used steel wool becuase it felt better than using my finger turning numb, plus it has more surface area, and is harmless to the wheels, unless you GRIND it into it... but after you use this stuff you can rub brake dust off with your finger's, it's pretty harmless stuff as long as you use it in the correct dilution ratio
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM

I bought my car with rims that had crazy amounts of brake dust. Its been a losing struggle trying to keep them clean because its impossible to get it out of the crevices. And the clear coat is basically junk from all the scrubbing ive done on them.

What I need to do is soak my rims in this stuff, then use that aircraft paint stripper, and then repaint and start brand new.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
I bought my car with rims that had crazy amounts of brake dust. Its been a losing struggle trying to keep them clean because its impossible to get it out of the crevices. And the clear coat is basically junk from all the scrubbing ive done on them.

What I need to do is soak my rims in this stuff, then use that aircraft paint stripper, and then repaint and start brand new.
I wouldn't "soak" your wheels in this stuff, If you are for sure going to repaint your wheels, then use a stronger solution of this stuff by diluting it to 3:1, which should be strong enough to remove anything as, I used the recommended 4:1 and it removed everything as you can see.

This is serious stuff, My wheels were in horrible condition, I tried every cleaner at Advance Auto Parts, and none of them worked a single bit, every single method I tried before this stuff didn't work. Until I tried this wheel brightener, so be careful this is serious ****...Please take the appropriate safety precautions!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM

too many steps... im just gonna get a new set. lol
cool stuff.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
too many steps... im just gonna get a new set. lol
cool stuff.
Haha, I woulda done the same thing except I have No Money
and i am in the process of trying to find a decent job, that will work with my school schedule...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Weird, what kind of brake pads are you guys using? Ive really noticed the brake dust on BMW's and Mercedes(on the front wheels) but not on our cars.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
Weird, what kind of brake pads are you guys using? Ive really noticed the brake dust on BMW's and Mercedes(on the front wheels) but not on our cars.
Well I currently have Hawk HPS Performance Brake pads, which dont give me any dust problems, all that dust was from he old brake pads, and I couldnt get it off...until I found this wheel brightenener stuff.