4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!! confusion with 0807 and 0402????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 PM

HELP!!! confusion with 0807 and 0402????

The car is 96 maxima GLE auto.
So here is the deal. I have two codes right now. I've been reading all I can find on them and just got more confused about it all.

The 0402 says its a fuel temperature sensor. there is nothing about that on this site that I can find. So thats a problem because even if I fix the other code the light will still remain on.

The 0807 says its an evap code. I have a Haynes and also have downloaded some manuals off the net and just got nowhere. According to half of the things that I read this code is for the valve that sits on top of the intake manifold and has 2 hoses and a harness with 6 connections. Then in another manual I read that this code is for the little thing that the boost sensor vacuum hose connects to. Now here is where something is really wrong I think. That little piece should have one harness and 3 vacuum hoses but it only has one of those hoses on (the one from the boost sensor). I looked at my friends 98 and he has all the hoses in place. So I got another one of these parts and some vacuum hose and wanted to change it and put everything where it belongs but..... there is no place for the hoses to go to. I dont have all the little vacuum pipes that my frinds 98 has. So what do I do?

Some info on the car. It has an AR rebuilt title. The Carfax shows that its been stolen. is it possible that when it was stolen the engine was parted and then someone swapped it for another one from a different year and now its missing things or it has too many things. I know that there are little differences with the vacuum galleries almost every year in the Maxima.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
No more Maximas...

Well, there's really only two things to check for P0180 - the fuel temp sensor itself, or the wiring back to the ECU.

For P0443, it's either the CPCV or the CPCSV, it explains both in the FSM. It also has vacuum diagrams, and good diagnostic info, I'd suggest getting a copy.

You don't need the vacuum gallery to run all of the vacuum lines, the gallery just makes it look a lot cleaner than running vacuum line everywhere.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Well, there's really only two things to check for P0180 - the fuel temp sensor itself, or the wiring back to the ECU.

For P0443, it's either the CPCV or the CPCSV, it explains both in the FSM. It also has vacuum diagrams, and good diagnostic info, I'd suggest getting a copy.

You don't need the vacuum gallery to run all of the vacuum lines, the gallery just makes it look a lot cleaner than running vacuum line everywhere.
What do you mean by your last sentence?? And where to I get the FSM? I used this: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1996/
is this it? because if it is It didn't help me much. And when I compare the info in this one to the one for the 98 from the same place it lists different things.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by djipka
What do you mean by your last sentence?? And where to I get the FSM? I used this: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1996/
is this it? because if it is It didn't help me much. And when I compare the info in this one to the one for the 98 from the same place it lists different things.
Yes, because the code has a different meaning for 1998 than it does for 1996.

How isn't the FSM helpful? It gives you a clear list of possible causes, how to diagnose, and the wiring diagram for the entire circuit.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Yes, because the code has a different meaning for 1998 than it does for 1996.

How isn't the FSM helpful? It gives you a clear list of possible causes, how to diagnose, and the wiring diagram for the entire circuit.
Thanks man! I will have to find some more time and read carefully the FSM and trouble shoot. I am still confused with the vacuum line though. Where can I get a clear diagram of what goes where? The one on the hood sticker is a little confusing to me. I tired following it but I got nowhere. And how come I am missing some of those little vacuum pipes?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks man! I will have to find some more time and read carefully the FSM and trouble shoot. I am still confused with the vacuum line though. Where can I get a clear diagram of what goes where? The one on the hood sticker is a little confusing to me. I tired following it but I got nowhere. And how come I am missing some of those little vacuum pipes?
Who knows, attribute it to the differences between model years.

See EC-13, it explains all of the numbers.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 PM

When it says 'to vacuum gallery A/B...' does that mean that everything that is in A goes together and everything for B goes together as well? I am missing 8 and 12 for sure and I think 13 also. I also dont see the one way valve on my car.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Should I post a pic so you can see what I mean?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
No more Maximas...

That I have no idea. I got rid of that whole vacuum gallery crap a long time ago.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM

That I have no idea. I got rid of that whole vacuum gallery crap a long time ago.
what do you mean you got rid of it? how does your car run then?
I think I will take a pic tomorrow and post it here so you can see that I'm talking about.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
No more Maximas...

what do you mean you got rid of it? how does your car run then?
I think I will take a pic tomorrow and post it here so you can see that I'm talking about.
It runs because you don't need the vacuum gallery for the engine to run...

I have exactly two vacuum lines; brake booster, and FPR. Everything else has been removed.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM

I checked my codes again and now there are two more.
the famous KS 0304 and 1302. I have checked my KS for resistance and it is up to spec. I also got the ground wires cleaned on the manifold.
1302 is the boost sensor which I just swapped. the one I pun on is from a 98 though. I have couple of those 98 ones and the one i took off.

Last edited by djipka; 09-30-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM

how do I post pics in here?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
No more Maximas...

how do I post pics in here?
Let me guess, dual boot Linux and Windows?

Upload them to photobucket or a similar service, and post the IMG link here.

That, or you can attach them to your post.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM

Linux only
here is a link
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9300150bn8.jpg

you can see that the one place where a hose must be is broken off. and on the bottom there should be a hose as well.
I was thinking If I went and bought some vacuum tees and cut some of the hoses and connect everything is that gonna work?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Linux only
here is a link
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9300150bn8.jpg

you can see that the one place where a hose must be is broken off. and on the bottom there should be a hose as well.
I was thinking If I went and bought some vacuum tees and cut some of the hoses and connect everything is that gonna work?
But you still keep a Windows partition around, I see. What distro?

If you get some extra vacuum lines and connect them all correctly, then everything should operate as it left the factory, yes. That is assuming no dirt or debris has gotten stuck inside any of those vacuum solenoids from being left open for however long.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 PM

I have another solenoid already that has all the hoses on it. the problem is that I aint got time these days to do anything. I really want to fix all the codes cause its annoying. The car runs pretty good most of the time. I get 29MPG @ 80mph. only problem is that it surges at stoplights but not all the time. it was much worse before I replaced the spark plugs. they were some $2.50 crap ones.

Distro is PCLinux OS. no windows on this rig. I have another rig that I keep just in case that has XP on it. How did you know what I am using?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Distro is PCLinux OS. no windows on this rig. I have another rig that I keep just in case that has XP on it. How did you know what I am using?
Because of this -
file:///mnt/win_i/New Folder/Maxima/0443 vacuum/p9300150.jpg
Unix like directory structure, so I had a realistic choice of OS X and Linux (very rarely do you find a Unix variant as a desktop machine anymore, and BSD didn't seem likely). OS X doesn't mount volumes in /mnt/ by default, and no one tends to ever change that.

Also, 'New Folder' is a typical Windows designation for unnamed...well, new folders, as opposed to Gnome and KDE which tend to use 'untitled folder'. That and the name of the mountpoint, 'win_i', and how it's in the /mnt/ directory leads one to believe that you have a Windows partition on the same box (although the 'New Folder' is in the root directory, so I imagine it's either a storage only drive, or possibly a networked share). It's in /mnt/ so it seems to be manually mounted, most distros automount things in /media/.

Anyway...yea.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM

do you think by fixing the vacuum gallery and that, the codes will all clear?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
No more Maximas...

do you think by fixing the vacuum gallery and that, the codes will all clear?
0807 refers to the actual operation of that valve, so most likely no. It can't hurt to try, though.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM

well I guess the KS code will not get fixed, but what about the MAP one? the hardest to figure out will probably be that fuel temp sensor. as far as I know it doesn't even do anything important.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM

anyone else with suggestions???
Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM

its me again guys.
I just thought of something that could be a major issue here.
My car has an Arkansas rebuilt title and according to Carfax it has been stolen. I have the feeling that the engine in the car does not belong to it. The place where the VIN is supposed to be is unreadable so I can't tell.
Is there another place on the engine where I can read the VIN?
I think my engine and the vacuum galleries are like the ones on the 95 maxima which definatly has different EVAP system and no boost sensor.

Last edited by djipka; 10-10-2008 at 09:30 PM.