4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing valve cover gaskets, advice, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Changing valve cover gaskets, advice, suggestions?

So my front is leaking a little bit, enough to bug me. Ive taken the UIM off before. But now that I have to do it again any advice or suggestions on what I should also do while its all apart? I have already cleaned the EGR tube. I have gaskets for front and back valve covers, O-rings for sparkplugs(just for peace of mind), EGR to UIM gasket and the gaskets for upper and lower manifolds.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 AM
oem ftw!

If you've removed the UIM before, there really aren't many pointers that I can give you. Just be sure to apply some RTV to the corner of the rear VC when you're installing the new gasket, or it will leak from that point.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
this place is dead

rear gasket is a PIA....a couple bolts in places you can't see

I don't think you have to take off the IM to get at the front one?

If you are going to do the rear and have to take off the IM, my suggesting would be to get yourself a hose to bypass the stupid connector that for some reason they put on the IM. There is no real reason for it as it's just a union on the IM.....I figure it was put there as a way to keep the hoses in place while the car is being built, but it's just a headache for maintenance.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
get yourself a hose to bypass the stupid connector that for some reason they put on the IM. There is no real reason for it as it's just a union on the IM.....I figure it was put there as a way to keep the hoses in place while the car is being built, but it's just a headache for maintenance.
Which hose are you talking about?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
If you've removed the UIM before, there really aren't many pointers that I can give you. Just be sure to apply some RTV to the corner of the rear VC when you're installing the new gasket, or it will leak from that point.

Thanks for the pics(about where it needs liquid gasket), I was actually just looking for the CD with the fsm on it, but you saved me some troubles!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM

Ok my next question. The LIM is NOT leaking but, since I already have the gaskets for the LIM(came with upper), I unplug fuse #17(IIRC) stop fuel flow, and then just take off the fuel rail with injectors attached? If I do this, would I need new o-rings to put the rail back on? Or just leave the LIM gaskets alone since its not leaking?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

which fsm is that? i have the 99' one and the em-29 shows something completely different.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
which fsm is that? i have the 99' one and the em-29 shows something completely different.
I got a 97, if you could post a pic of what u got would be great, or just explain what yours shows? Is it a different method for a 97 to a 99?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
Ok my next question. The LIM is NOT leaking but, since I already have the gaskets for the LIM(came with upper), I unplug fuse #17(IIRC) stop fuel flow, and then just take off the fuel rail with injectors attached? If I do this, would I need new o-rings to put the rail back on? Or just leave the LIM gaskets alone since its not leaking?
To be honest, if there is no leak at the LIM, I would leave those gaskets alone. It will only create more work for you and the possibility of introducing a new vacuum leak if things aren't re-sealed properly. When I did the 00VI, I used the 5th gen LIM, so I just replaced those gaskets anyway. I did put a very thin bead of copper RTV to ensure a perfect seal. No vac leaks upon reassembly.

To relieve fuel pressure, since I also used the 5th gen fuel rail, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and started the car. It died within a few seconds, then I turned it over again to make sure it would not start. Then I opened the gas cap and proceeded to remove the fuel rail. Some fuel did squirt out, but it wasn't that bad.

If you do remove the fuel rail, I would recommend new O rings. Those suckers can cause major headaches if they are pinched, torn or otherwise damaged during removal / insertion. I got by with using the ones supplied with my 5th gen fuel rail, but I was extremely careful with them and oiled them generously with some clean engine oil.

That FSM is for the 1995 maxima, but that page applies to 95-99. RTV should be applied in that spot regardless of year.

Last edited by CRiME; 08-18-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

thanks for the info im about to do mine this weekend too. just leaking a little oil, just enough to be annoying.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

I got a 97, if you could post a pic of what u got would be great, or just explain what yours shows? Is it a different method for a 97 to a 99?
nah, i mean the 99' fsm doesn't show anything about the vc gasket on the same number page.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM

To be honest, if there is no leak at the LIM, I would leave those gaskets alone. It will only create more work for you and the possibility of introducing a new vacuum leak if things aren't re-sealed properly. When I did the 00VI, I used the 5th gen LIM, so I just replaced those gaskets anyway. I did put a very thin bead of copper RTV to ensure a perfect seal. No vac leaks upon reassembly.

To relieve fuel pressure, since I also used the 5th gen fuel rail, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and started the car. It died within a few seconds, then I turned it over again to make sure it would not start. Then I opened the gas cap and proceeded to remove the fuel rail. Some fuel did squirt out, but it wasn't that bad.

If you do remove the fuel rail, I would recommend new O rings. Those suckers can cause major headaches if they are pinched, torn or otherwise damaged during removal / insertion. I got by with using the ones supplied with my 5th gen fuel rail, but I was extremely careful with them and oiled them generously with some clean engine oil.

That FSM is for the 1995 maxima, but that page applies to 95-99. RTV should be applied in that spot regardless of year.
Thanks, thats the exact info I needed. Not gonna touch the LIM then since I have no leak there.

nah, i mean the 99' fsm doesn't show anything about the vc gasket on the same number page.
Weird... I still cant remember where my disc is with the fsm on it. Thanks for pointiing that out though.

Last edited by vilmaxima; 08-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 AM

put in the nwp spacer kits if your gonna tear everything apart.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
this place is dead

Which hose are you talking about?
Maybe it's the EGR return or something, can't remember, and can't see pics at work.

It's connected the to rear of the IM, makes getting the IM off a lot harder.

If you want I'll take a screen shot of the FSM when I get home.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
Maybe it's the EGR return or something, can't remember, and can't see pics at work.

It's connected the to rear of the IM, makes getting the IM off a lot harder.

If you want I'll take a screen shot of the FSM when I get home.
I just had a look at it and I think I know which hose youre talking about.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Im doing the front right now, and just realized im a dumba$$, cause the spark plug o-rings I thought could go in either side(one side is more raised) someone please help me out quick, I gotta get my gf from work soon and still gotta let the liquid gasket set for a bit. I think I got it, but dont want to do it twice.