4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Smoke from the steering wheel area when you turn the lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM

Smoke from the steering wheel area when you turn the lights on?

Hi everyone,
I have a strange problem with my 1996 Maxima. It seems that when I first turn my headlights on for a second or so I get a small puff of smoke from the steering wheel or to be more specific from the area where the headlight stalk goes into the steering wheel cluster. It only lasts for a second or so, and EVERYTHING works great! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

connection is probably not insulated anymore, might wanna check for open wiring. Make sure you disconnect the battery and the airbag harness under the steering wheel before you check. Safety first
Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

The small puff is most likely coming from where the switch engages the lights, the initial transfer of a current. Having said that, the switch only operates the headlight relay which does not draw enough current to cause a puff of smoke through the switch causing the puff. Your safest bet would be to check for grounding issues at the two points that meet inside the switch. If none present, just replace the switch assembly to be on the safe side.

Kruso
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Whatchyou say?

OMFG .... just PM Fatnatickrockford and let him get you a new switch. It will stop working and could cause more problems ... like a fire maybe .... so why screw with it? The switch will be like 15 - 20 $ and should solve the problem.

Smoke from anything electirical, as cool as it may be, is not safe. If it's dust on the contacts, clean them, if you clean them and see it's melted, well .... you think it's still ok?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:04 PM
100% chingon

First, check your insurance to make sure that you're covered for fire.
You could buy a fire extinguisher for the car. . .
Or you might like to fix the problem before you are incinerated ... supposing the steering column bursts into flames at 70 mph, what ya gonna do then, hmm?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Well thank you to the people that posted helpful advice without the sarcastic tone. I will order a new switch.

Zack
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 AM

Well it is going to the shop today, because now the pass side headlight is out, and it is not the bulb.

Zack
Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 AM

I was thinking the switch too. Did you get a new one put in yet? Otherwise it might be in the harness behind the dash somewhere causing the short to show at the light switch.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Whatchyou say?

We should be gratefull to people that don't even try to figure things out on their own. It provides jobs for the economy and it makes those who can and do solve their own problems feel that much better about themselves.

You took it to the shop for this? LOL A week ago, you posted asking what to do ... several of us told you what to look at, and it's clear you didn't. I hope the shop charges you for their time (and I'm sure they will) and I wish I could charge you for my time as well. This place (the .Org) is supposed to be here to help and learn, but when people try to help and their experience / advice is not even considered, it tends to make them want to not help. Sad .... I guess I just don't understand the point of asking a question or asking for help if you're not going to accept the answer. Best of luck .... you'll need it.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for Assistance

Just bought a 95 Max with 200k km. First problem I noticed today is the smoke coming from the steering column. The daytime running lights and headlights are fine but I noticed the radio doesnt light up any more. Things seemed to be ok when I first bought it (2 days ago). Could it be the reason it was sold?

I would like to change the complete combination switch but unable to find a switch for the aforementioned 20 bucks. Junkyards wont sell it to me since they want to sell the whole steering column.

Replacing it with new is just too costly from the Nissan dealer. If there is a place to get a new switch, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Whatchyou say?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-1995-1999-43/

that link is for the classifieds / 4th gen .... you could look there for a switch. since you don't have enough posts, I don't think you can PM yet.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks

Very thankful for this site and the people who contribute!

Just PM Maxima_Joe(AKA Fatnatickrockford) who is going to ship out the part for $30.

I already ripped out the old one and can see the black scorch marks. Looks like the the turn signal part of the switch. What could cause this , is the problem just the switch?

Could there be bad grounds somewhere in the lighting circuit?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Whoa this sounds bad! I've got to keep an eye out on mine as it's approaching 160,000 miles. How obvious is it? Is there a smell?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM

i would def. get that fixed like everyone has said eletrical fires arent anything to play with and its not kool
Old 08-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
We should be gratefull to people that don't even try to figure things out on their own. It provides jobs for the economy and it makes those who can and do solve their own problems feel that much better about themselves.

You took it to the shop for this? LOL A week ago, you posted asking what to do ... several of us told you what to look at, and it's clear you didn't. I hope the shop charges you for their time (and I'm sure they will) and I wish I could charge you for my time as well. This place (the .Org) is supposed to be here to help and learn, but when people try to help and their experience / advice is not even considered, it tends to make them want to not help. Sad .... I guess I just don't understand the point of asking a question or asking for help if you're not going to accept the answer. Best of luck .... you'll need it.
lol i agree with you, but i think he was playing it safe. obviously he's not an electrician, and wanted someone certified to work on it. maybe he felt like nobody posting here had the credentials.

i'm just saying, what if we misinformed him and he ended up catching on fire? we'd feel bad for him and wished he had gone to a shop instead.

i do agree with you though...if you're going to ask a question here, it's common courtesy to take our advice, but safety is always first
Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 PM

All done, and the car is 100% safe! And shut the **** up already, JTZMAX I am sick of your stupid remarks. If you didn't want to respond, then why did you? Go **** yourself!

And for everyone else, the headlight switch/turn signal is part number 25540-40U60, with a list price of $67.57. With the new part in the Max it is good once again.

Zack
Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM

i know im not suppose to but i LOL'd, how the **** does that happen?

edit: u got the stalk, thats good