4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Raxle Axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
So I guess you can get wrong parts no matter where you go or how much you pay...

BTW, I am not trying to be disrespectful of raxles.com. I have gotten quick response from them via email and their product is very highly spoken of, obviously. I just can't afford them for two cars, and since neither car is modded for performance, OE type axles should work just fine for my applications.
point taken and understood. If you don't have the money to afford them, you can tell yourself as much as you want to make yourself feel better that the autozone, pepboys, napa axles are the same quality as the ones from raxle. You cannot compare the quality on both. You might be lucky and get a good one from autozone, but the chances of that are slim. I changed out my axles 3 times...all of them were crap!!!! called up raxles cause i was fed up and came within a few days. Slapped it on and there were no problems at all. You are simply wrong by trying to state that the quality are the same from raxles and autozone. Thousands of orgers even not from maxima themselves will attest to this. Ask different forums and they will attest that raxles are ftw.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
point taken and understood. If you don't have the money to afford them, you can tell yourself as much as you want to make yourself feel better that the autozone, pepboys, napa axles are the same quality as the ones from raxle. You cannot compare the quality on both. You might be lucky and get a good one from autozone, but the chances of that are slim. I changed out my axles 3 times...all of them were crap!!!! called up raxles cause i was fed up and came within a few days. Slapped it on and there were no problems at all. You are simply wrong by trying to state that the quality are the same from raxles and autozone. Thousands of orgers even not from maxima themselves will attest to this. Ask different forums and they will attest that raxles are ftw.
you have it backwards, the chances of getting a bad axle are slim and the chances of getting an axle that is just fine are good. If the chances of getting bad axles from the parts store were so great, absolutely no one would ever buy them from a parts store because they'd be known to fail almost immediately or be virtually all of them would be bad from the start. parts stores would never be able or willing to sell them because they'd be warrantying axle after axle after axle and they'd quickly come to the conclusion that it's losing them money, when this is clearly not the case.

lets not go overboard here and start stating things that are clearly untrue just to make your point.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
Thank you guys. I will be replacing both front axles as my CV boots are shot, and it makes much more sense to do it the easy way. I appreciate your help.
replacing the axle cause the cv boots are bad thats just a piece of rubber u can buy replacements at any auto parts store..
now if the viscosity joints are bad then thats reason to replace em
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Double0Max
replacing the axle cause the cv boots are bad thats just a piece of rubber u can buy replacements at any auto parts store..
now if the viscosity joints are bad then thats reason to replace em
True, but for the trouble of breaking them them down and regreasing and etc. I personally would just rather replace the halfshafts, less work and a for piece of mind.
Id be pissed If I just replaced the boots to have the actual joints begin to fail shortly after.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
you have it backwards, the chances of getting a bad axle are slim and the chances of getting an axle that is just fine are good. If the chances of getting bad axles from the parts store were so great, absolutely no one would ever buy them from a parts store because they'd be known to fail almost immediately or be virtually all of them would be bad from the start. parts stores would never be able or willing to sell them because they'd be warrantying axle after axle after axle and they'd quickly come to the conclusion that it's losing them money, when this is clearly not the case.

lets not go overboard here and start stating things that are clearly untrue just to make your point.
point taken and sorry if it was seemed o be going overboard. But from my personal experience, 1st axle made the wheel hop and shook the entire car when accelerating, 2nd one made a really weird grinding noise when accelerating, and third one veered the car to one side when accelerating and holding onto the steering wheel like my life depended on it did not work. All three were from napa as i had trouble with pepboy's starters before and napa starters were good to go (i know they're different parts, but i didn't trust the stuff at pepboys even though i used to work there). Guy at napa didn't know why they were bad, and said this is the first time they've had trouble with the axles, but they were indeed bad. I had asked him if he had a non-remanufactured one, would have cost me somewhere around $180 versus the $80 i was paying. and i asked him would he give me a discount since i had to go back and forth 3 times, he said no so i left. As i have done the work myself, this is fine. But if i had bought the parts myself, given it to the shop to install. The shop would have charged me 3 separate times for installing/uninstalling the axle. To me, they were stocking bad axles.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
point taken and sorry if it was seemed o be going overboard. But from my personal experience, 1st axle made the wheel hop and shook the entire car when accelerating, 2nd one made a really weird grinding noise when accelerating, and third one veered the car to one side when accelerating and holding onto the steering wheel like my life depended on it did not work. All three were from napa as i had trouble with pepboy's starters before and napa starters were good to go (i know they're different parts, but i didn't trust the stuff at pepboys even though i used to work there). Guy at napa didn't know why they were bad, and said this is the first time they've had trouble with the axles, but they were indeed bad. I had asked him if he had a non-remanufactured one, would have cost me somewhere around $180 versus the $80 i was paying. and i asked him would he give me a discount since i had to go back and forth 3 times, he said no so i left. As i have done the work myself, this is fine. But if i had bought the parts myself, given it to the shop to install. The shop would have charged me 3 separate times for installing/uninstalling the axle. To me, they were stocking bad axles.

I had a similair experience with an Auto Zone Axle. Made the car shake like crazy when accelerating. Had the car checked by a couple of different shops, and they couldnt figure it out. Finally one shopped suspected the axle so I replaced it with the Raxle, no more issues. Upon inspecting the Auto Zone axle iside by side with the OEM one and it looked identical so I dont know what was up with it.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM

on my 97 i replaced both my axles with autozone BS. I had a slight vibration and the boots were cheaply made. The boots were shot about 2 years later. Then my car got totalled. My 2000 has raxles and the boots look and feel thicker than the autozone axles. No vibrations on my 2000.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 AM

When you guys speak of vibrations what do you mean exactly? At certain RPMs or though out the whole ride? I asked because I too get a vibration from 1600 - 2200 rpm and haven't really noticed it prior to getting a new one installed. It could be that my front right tire is in very poor condition... Just want to make sure.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Viscosity joints? or Velocity joints?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by petro2342
When you guys speak of vibrations what do you mean exactly? At certain RPMs or though out the whole ride? I asked because I too get a vibration from 1600 - 2200 rpm and haven't really noticed it prior to getting a new one installed. It could be that my front right tire is in very poor condition... Just want to make sure.
Mine was more then a slight vibration, the front end actually shook and became greater as I accelerated to the point that I didnt drive it untill I swapped out the axle.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor

same old story; those who spend the money on quality parts have nothing but good things to say. those who cheap out have 1,000,000 ways to justify doing so. my favorite is the classic "overrated". of course, they never spent the money to try them so their opinion is null and void.

bottom line; you may get away with less and if that's all you can afford do then go for it; but if raxles are with your means you won't go wrong with a proven product.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
same old story; those who spend the money on quality parts have nothing but good things to say. those who cheap out have 1,000,000 ways to justify doing so. my favorite is the classic "overrated". of course, they never spent the money to try them so their opinion is null and void.

bottom line; you may get away with less and if that's all you can afford do then go for it; but if raxles are with your means you won't go wrong with a proven product.
same things goes for cattman headers and the ones from ebay...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
those who cheap out have 1,000,000 ways to justify doing so.
Jeez, cheap out? My kid is driving a car I bought for $900, the other one with 84K on it for $2300. Does it make sense to spend $320 + labor for quality parts on a $900 car??
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Boosted Panda

Jeez, cheap out? My kid is driving a car I bought for $900, the other one with 84K on it for $2300. Does it make sense to spend $320 + labor for quality parts on a $900 car??
Thats up to you. Personally in my mind a 900.00 is either going to be one h#ll of a good deal, or a car needing work. With that being said the type of parts used should play a factor in how reliable do you wish the car to be. For 900.00 just about any repair on it is going to exceed that cost, decent tires would alone.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 02-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Probably not. Try parts store axles, or just drive the car until the CV joints start making noise, maybe you'll get lucky. Or try a quick boot kit. Raxles aren't the right solution for everybody, that ought to be obvious.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Guys get this. Someone told me at work that the faster you drive the faster the boots wear out and crack. HE used to be a mechanic but I know a lot more then him in a lot. He just owns me in suspension and that is it because he used to be an alignment tech...

Also, All these axles are pretty much the same, Raxles and all the good brands. Raxles are just rebuild better then a lot of them. He does some different process on the Race cage and bearings that other don't do as good. That is mostly what you are paying for. In terms of them going, They mostly only go from bad boots.

I bought brand new GSP axles and they been fine. Although they are rusting up like a son of a beep on the shaft, but hey. IT is carbon steel so I guess that is expected over here in NE.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Whatchyou say?

Lewis .....

In a word, yes it is worth it to put a little money into a $900 car to keep it going. It does not however have to cost you that much to put new axles in. Raxles is 'the best' according to a lot of people, and Marty (the guy at Raxles) has my vote as well. That being so, I would spend the money to know I am getting good quality parts and my kid will have a decent set of wheels for a while. Not trying to come off as 'harsh' here toward anyone, please don't take me wrong.