4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help with AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Need Help with AC

Hello all. My car seemed fine a couple days ago. Then when I started it up in the morning, I heard a strange noise in the cabin, one that I never heard before. The noise goes away when I turn on my AC...it sounds like a bad bearing or something when the AC is off...
Also, the main pulley I think the underdrive pulley, seems to wobble a bit when looking down if the engine is on. Maybe about 1mm of play. Is this ok?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
mod or sell?

your AC clutch bearing is bad.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Also, the main pulley I think the underdrive pulley, seems to wobble a bit when looking down if the engine is on. Maybe about 1mm of play. Is this ok?
No, the rubber isolation sleve on that pully is failing. Change the pully before it quits and leaves you stranded.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 PM

yea mine was literally broken in half! i had to rush to NAPA and buy one for 199.76 or u could buy a lightweight one like the motorstorm etc and theyre actually cheaper than stock.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a problem with my A/C on a Maxima 96-mod. It doesn't work on 1. Only 2,3 and 4. What can cause this and how do I fix it?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 AM

i think its the fan relay that causes it to run on certain speed! now is that just with the ac on or it doesnt matter?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by khantalha
i think its the fan relay that causes it to run on certain speed! now is that just with the ac on or it doesnt matter?
It doesn't work with A/C on or off.

Is this some easy thing to fix or?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM

I took a look under the car. I loosened the AC belt and sure enough, the bearing is shot. Anyone know where i can get just an AC bearing to replace? I really don't want to buy a whole new AC unit!!! BTW, I think it is a Calsonic AC unit. I googled Calsonic with no luck on parts such as bearings etc..
As for the other issue...the underdrive pulley issue...can't I just buy the rubber Isolation sleeve by itself? I looked on eBay at the lightweight pulley's, and I didn't see any rubber on those...Thanks.

Last edited by Maximeltman; 07-08-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm parting out my car. In the for-sale forum, you'll see my UDP for sale (all machined metal, no rubber). I was in your situation: the rubber looked bad, so I bought the UDP as a spare, just kept it in the car just-in-case the rubber pulley broke.

I also got a new AC compressor, installed 3 months ago... lemme know if u want that. $140 shipped.

Dr J
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
I took a look under the car. I loosened the AC belt and sure enough, the bearing is shot. Anyone know where i can get just an AC bearing to replace? I really don't want to buy a whole new AC unit!!! BTW, I think it is a Calsonic AC unit. I googled Calsonic with no luck on parts such as bearings etc..
As for the other issue...the underdrive pulley issue...can't I just buy the rubber Isolation sleeve by itself? I looked on eBay at the lightweight pulley's, and I didn't see any rubber on those...Thanks.
Good luck with finding the bearing seperately.
I didn't see one in my electronic cataloging.

you can not buy the rubber by itself. it is vulcanized to the 2 other pieces of the pulley in order to dampen the engine harmonics. the aftermarket UDPs do not use the rubber.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

In another thread about this same exact thing, maybe a sticky, someone listed the bearing number. I have one sitting here in front of me, it's a Ready-Aire bearing # 1962, also available from PartsAmerica I believe. Summit Racing carries the 1961 and 1963 but not the 1962 even though they can special order it for you. The #1962 is the exact bearing that Ready-aire uses to rebuild the Calsonic compressors. They have a website too, look them up and give them a call and confirm this for the 618. If you are lucky like I was, they may have a location close to you and you can pick up the bearing, otherwise, you will have to have it shipped in.

You will also need the Kent-Moore tools to remove the clutch plate and you may find these on ebay for 20-30 bucks. Some have said you don't need them, but my clutch plate wouldn't come off with out them. They are on ebay as Geo Storm AC compressor tools by Kent Moore. You can see the number of the tools in the FSM and cross reference it with an Ebay listing to be sure.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Yo thanks guys! Much appreciated!!
Dcarlton, what do you mean 618? Thanks!

Last edited by Maximeltman; 07-09-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 AM

If I remember correctly, from research for the 95-99 Maxima, the most often used compressor was the Calsonic CWV618. To verify the actual compressor number on the car, it's pretty simple since the tag on the compressor is visible underneath the car. If your compressor is not a CWV618, it may take a different bearing and the people at Ready-aire can tell you which one it is.