4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What to do for general maintenance on my A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 AM

What to do for general maintenance on my A/C?

The air doesn't blow super cold at speeds lower than 40. I'm thinking the condenser may need to be cleaned at a minimum.

So what all is suggested for a regular cleaning and maintenance? A full flush and refill? Just a water hose on the condenser? Things from autozone such as a recharge?

I don't want to spend $139 at a local shop to charge and check for leaks until I've done what I can to remedy the situation myself.

Thanks!

P.S. If you can give links to how to do the maintenance that'd be great, otherwise I'll search the threads on how to do what is suggested.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
I love lamp.

Cleaning the condenser might help. It's also likely that your charge is low. There isn't really a flush and fill for A/C'. You'd need some special equipment to evacute the system and refill. I would clean the condenser off with a hose. Then get a can of R134a (be sure to get one that has one of the gauges), and top the system off. These cans usually go in at the low pressure in while the car is idling, at normal temperature, with A/C turned to max.

S
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM

I saw this from Autozone:

A/C system Cleaner:
http://www.autozone.com/N,100700/sho...iesResults.htm

and A/C charging kit:

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP1329...ductDetail.htm

Not even sure what that first one even does....
Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Check to make sure that your fans are functioning properly. When the AC is on, both the radiator and condensor fans should be on and spinning. It is possible that your condensor fan motor is shot and isn't providing sufficient airflow over the condensor at speeds < 40mph.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hank96GLE
Check to make sure that your fans are functioning properly. When the AC is on, both the radiator and condensor fans should be on and spinning. It is possible that your condensor fan motor is shot and isn't providing sufficient airflow over the condensor at speeds < 40mph.
OK, I'll take a look at that...just crank the A/C on high at idle and look and see if both fans are spinning when the motor is at operating temps? When I turn off the A/C the condenser fan motor should stop, correct?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by cditto
OK, I'll take a look at that...just crank the A/C on high at idle and look and see if both fans are spinning when the motor is at operating temps? When I turn off the A/C the condenser fan motor should stop, correct?
Sounsd right. In fact I think both fans should be on whenever the A/C is switched on even if the car isn't warmed up. Don't have the manual in front of me to verify - you might want to double check.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Licensed to Spell

Remember to use your AC at least 15-20 minutes per month (even in the winter).
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 AM

OK, so I finally got back in town and checked and even at regular operating temps the 2nd fan (the one closest to the passenger side) doesn't spin/run.

Now what? I don't know what to check. I saw that their are 3 radiator fan maxi-fuses, but don't know which one runs the 2nd fan, or how to check if the fuse is blown.

Does someone know the voltage I can check on the relay that goes to the fan?

What other options do I have to make sure it is working right? Are you certain that the 2nd fan should spin? (I tested it when the car had warmed up, in my drive way, running the A/C at max cold, max speed, without the recirc button, and let it run that way for 5 minutes)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I love lamp.

You should be able to download the FSM. It should have this info for you.

S
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Or go to AZ and buy a Chiltons / Haynes.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM

I'll look for the FSM, I have the Chilton's and it says "take it to a pro".
Old 07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by cditto
OK, so I finally got back in town and checked and even at regular operating temps the 2nd fan (the one closest to the passenger side) doesn't spin/run.

Now what? I don't know what to check. I saw that their are 3 radiator fan maxi-fuses, but don't know which one runs the 2nd fan, or how to check if the fuse is blown.

Does someone know the voltage I can check on the relay that goes to the fan?

Both fans should come on as soon as the AC is switched on, even if you've just started the car and the engine is cold. Had a similar problem last year, except my temp gauge would actually start to climb when I was in traffic running the A/C.

My problem ended up being that the "Rad Fan 1" relay was burnt. On my car, it was blue. It is located in the box next to the battery. I replaced it, and the overheating problem was solved. Also, after changing it both fans would switch on immediately, as soon as the A/C was turned on, even if the engine had just been started.

After pulling the relay I checked with my multimeter to make sure power was getting to the circuit where it plugs in, and it was (luckily). to confirm that the relay was bad i ran 9 volts (you can use a 12v source if you have one available) to pins 1 and 2 and measured the resistance w/ my meter connected to pins 3 and 4. The relay would click, but the meter didn't change at all (it should have read 0 resistance) so that confirmed that it was gone. You can try this procedure co check yours, and if you have the same results you can pick up a new one at Autozone. It only cost about 12 bucks and they had it in stock.

This is what it looked like

Last edited by CRiME; 07-03-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Thanks Crime...I have the FSM now, and it doesn't really even talk about the fans in the A/C section.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's illustrated it in the engine cooling section IIRC.

My Haynes has a how to on how to recharge it.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:20 PM

OK, 2 final questions:

1. Can I recharge this myself? I saw something saying it was illegal to vent to the air...will the recharge kits have a way to vent the r134a?

2. Crime, your explanation makes sense, I saw the 3 "radiator fan" relays in that relay box. I know nothing about electrical stuff so I'll have to get someone else to check the relays. Anyone know which relay is to what? I mean if there were two I would assume that Radiator Fan 1 would belong to the first fan, and so on, but there are 3 relays. I'm wondering if Autozone will let me buy all 3 and then return the ones that are still ok (via trial and error plugging them in and out)?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM
oem ftw!

They do sell r134a cans at autozone, and if you get one with a meter, you can recharge it on your own to the correct level. Ideally, it should be done at a shop as the machine will vacuum the system completely and refill it to the correct levels.

I'm not sure about the other two relays, unfortunately, as I haven't had to change them thus far. Maybe that information is buried somewhere in the FSM. But autozone (in NY, at least) is usually pretty good with their returns/refunds provided that you retain the receipt. If you'd like to give it a shot, you can return the unused ones, explaining that your existing ones actually were not in need of replacement.

Now that I think of it, when I bought the relay from autozone, the attendant actually did refer to that relay as the "A/C fan relay". It's possible that the other two relays are for fans 1 and 2, and that relay, Rad Fan 1, is responsible for switching the fans on with the A/C. That's my hypothesis, however, so it can be taken for what it is! Maybe someone with more knowledge of the electrical system can chime in and confirm it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM

OK, so update:

I tried something...the relay you referred to, I swapped with the ASCD relay (same part #) and didn't notice anything different.

I then took the wiring harness for the 2nd cooling fan (near the passenger side) and plugged it into the 1st cooling fan (driver side) and started the car. The 1st fan still ran...which seems odd to me as I wouldn't expect it to come on since technically it's the "2nd fan" now.

Which leads me to deduce that maybe the 2nd cooling fan motor or assembly is bad. I can't test this by plugging it into the 1st cooling fan wiring harness since it won't reach that far.

So.....hmm....

P.S. Another interesting thing now is that the 1st fan isn't spinning without the A/C on. I thought it ran continuously regardless? I watched the temp gauge and it ran fine, dead center, but the fan never came on (I just sat in the driveway). Maybe it wasn't hot enough to kick on?

Last edited by cditto; 07-05-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

The fans are 'kicked' on by the ECT. When the AC is on, one fan is always on, regardless. of the ECT. The fans wont turn on unless the ECT reaches a certain temp (205*F, IIRC) if the AC is off.