4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KYB AGX vs GR2s

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM

KYB AGX vs GR2s

so im thinking of getting progress springs and i wanted to go with the kyb suspension. I have a 98 max gle with 17x8 rims and i live in toronto where the roads are not the greatest so was wondering if its better that i go with the agx or the gr2s as i would like to save money but i dont want to regret not spending the extra money to get adjustables.
thanks alot guys,
xorox
Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Sold

I have the agx and let me tell you that they are incredibly tempature sensitive. The shock oil or whatever changes the ride quality with a 10 degree change in the tempature.
I would suggest the illuminas as I have heard that they provide a better ride at all temp's.

As for you question.... it depends entirely on if you plan or replacing the springs. If your giong to use lowering springs, I suggest and so does KYB that you use the agx. The GR2's are a factory replacement. If your sticking with stock ride height... that's the way to go.

From what I remember the Agx warranty will be void if you run springs that are more than 2" of drop.

Hope that helps with your decision.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by JSMax
I have the agx and let me tell you that they are incredibly tempature sensitive. The shock oil or whatever changes the ride quality with a 10 degree change in the tempature.
I would suggest the illuminas as I have heard that they provide a better ride at all temp's.

As for you question.... it depends entirely on if you plan or replacing the springs. If your giong to use lowering springs, I suggest and so does KYB that you use the agx. The GR2's are a factory replacement. If your sticking with stock ride height... that's the way to go.

From what I remember the Agx warranty will be void if you run springs that are more than 2" of drop.

Good info and agree 100%
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 AM

AGX, for sure.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM
95maxdvt

<------KYB AGX rear
<------Tokico Illuminas front
<------Tein Springs

Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Former Vendor

i tend to lean the other way. imo, most people (myself included) are fairly clueless when it comes to correct adjustment. i.e. i want it to ride smooth so i'll turn them all the way down or i want to bend some corners so i'll crank em up.

its my position that adjustability is useless in the hands of those who dont know how to adjust and can cause more problems than benefits.

i ran gr2s with maxspeeds back in the day and was satisfied.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM

I got the AGX's for the adjustability. I like settings 1F,2R for winter, equal to stock and 2F, 4R for summer, equal to GR2's. I'm using stock springs.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 PM

I have AGX on the front of my 95 Max and GR-2's in the back. The back has stock springs and the front has a 1.5" drop. I run the AGX at the softest setting unless I'm doing a road trip. I did the suspension upgrade a couple years ago because I was commuting 200 miles/day round trip and 90% of it was highway. The AGX were fantastic for stability at 90+ MPH and I had them set on 3 during that 4 months I commuted.

My 96 I30 is running stock springs with GR-2's on all 4. It's fine for all around driving and I probably would stick with this setup if I wasn't going to lower it at all. I'm thinking of dropping the car 1.5" on all 4 corners so I'm considering my options...I'm not sure that I would do the AGX again...I might try something else...but I'm not sure...hey, I've been married twice. The same thing gets boring after a while---even if the ride is good!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM

From what I remember the Agx warranty will be void if you run springs that are more than 2&quot; of drop.

So you know...those progress springs are 1.75"/1.5" respectively F/R in drop! They won't void your Kayaba warranty!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM

From what I remember the Agx warranty will be void if you run springs that are more than 2&quot; of drop.

Progress springs will not void your Kayaba warranty! 1.75"/1.5" drop F/R ! and they feel good! It the roads are really bad I would look at less drop than what is provided by the Progress Springs it's firmer than stock! Eibachs Prokits are said to be stiff but only lower about 1"! It's your call!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Sold

And the H&R springs are a compliant ride and they lower 1.4 and 1/3 inches f/r. That's what I am running and I wish I had more drop. THis is after 4 years with the same setup.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

i have tein s-tech and gr-2s, and i love the drop and the feeling of the car now.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 AM

I just got kyb gr2s + progress sport springs installed yesterday, i love it!