4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Getting noisier......

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Still Learning

Getting noisier......

One of the fans died, and the temp shoots up when idle during hot days. The whole fan assembly was replaced today. Both fans work fine now, and my max is cooled good. But..... it's awfully noisy.

I am gonna describe how they work now in case I messed up the wiring.
When I start the car (car is cool), both fans don't run.
When I turn on A/C, both fans are on but in a lower speed. (acceptable noise)
When the A/C is on and car is hot, both fans turn in a even higher speed. (Very Noisy, I could even feel the shaking caused by fans while stopping at traffic lights)

One of the old fans had died for almost a year. So I could not remember if the noise I hear now is normal or whether the new ones are working the way they should be.

Maybe they are a bit louder but work fine?

Thanks in advance......
Old 06-06-2008, 06:42 AM

car shouldn't shack or anything with the fans on. Were the rubber isolaters reinstalled? Is the noise you hear inside the car or from outside? I can hear my fans spinning from outside but not inside the car.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Were they aftermarket or oem? I once installed an aftermarket fan into my jag and it sounded like a P51 on takeoff. I eventually had to buy an oem one because the aftermarket noise was unbearable.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:05 AM

there should be rubber grommets that hold the fans to prevent shaking, are they installed?
Or it could just be a bent fan blade, or one of the fan blades are not aligned, causing the noises.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

fans need an alignment.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Still Learning

It's a aftermarked gotten from Autozone.
On top corners of the assembly I see the rubber isolaters. They are a little old so they don't hold the assembly too well. The assembly could actually rattle a bit in there. I suspected that and now I know they need to be replaced. That should solve the shaking/rattling problem. Thanks for the help, guys.
As for the noise, is there a period of time that I could return the part in? It's been installed and I'm afraid that they would not take it back. Man, OEM would suck me dry even more.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by t65k3
It's a aftermarked gotten from Autozone. Man, OEM would suck me dry even more.
There's your problem. I noticed aftermarket fans aren't as solid as they should be and they tend to wobble. Nothing to damage your car, but just enough that are noisy as hell. OEM is always the way to go. If you don't have enough to buy a new one, why not get a used one from a donor car or a part out here on the .org?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by rxm6
There's your problem. I noticed aftermarket fans aren't as solid as they should be and they tend to wobble. Nothing to damage your car, but just enough that are noisy as hell. OEM is always the way to go. If you don't have enough to buy a new one, why not get a used one from a donor car or a part out here on the .org?
I agree......

What's the part circled called? I think by replacing those two it would help a bit, since the old ones are old......