4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why can't I get this CV axle into the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 PM
When are gas prices going down

why can't I get this CV axle into the tranny?

Ok, so I bought a car yesterday, knowing the CV axles and struts needed to be replaced. I got NEW parts today and the whole job's been slow because of rusted/stuck bolts, but..... I've got the passenger side back in, strut changed, bolted up, ready for a wheel. But, the driver's side axle won't go back in the tranny. I'm trying and trying and trying, but it's not going in very far. It goes in about 2 inches, then stops. The Haynes manual says to "push the driveaxle in sharply to seat the retaining ring in the differential side..." or something. So, I've pushed about as sharply as I can with the rotor, brake hardware, and everything still attached to the tie rod and control arm.

I've looked inside the tranny, and there's a "pin" blocking the way through the tranny. It's beyond the splines inside, but I'm not sure how far in it is--it might be prohibiting full insertion, but I can't tell. At any rate, I lack almost 3 inches from being flush, so something's definitely wrong.

Any ideas? The new axle came with its own retaining clip, but I haven't tried re-using the old one. Is that worth a shot? Oh, and maybe someone can tell me if it matters that I had both axles out at the same time, then inserted the passenger's--now the problem inserting the driver's.

Please help.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Willing to learn

Try removing the retaining clip from the axle. Then try and see if you can install the axle fully into the transmission this way.

That should tell you if there is something wrong with the splines on the new axle.

The rings supplied with some reman axles I have bought were very difficult to seat. You may just need to try this method to see what is holding you up.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Whatchyou say?

make sure you are pushing it in straight .... not a bad idea mentioned above too!

the "pin" in the middle is inside the differential (final drive for all you gear heads! all punn intended ) it doesn't move or come out .... it's supposed to be there. i don't recall ever putting the DS in last, always done it first ... it shouldn't matter at all, but it may. if you can't get it in still .... you may pull the PS axle, seat the DS and then have your fun with that damn bracket ... again!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM

I had a hard time with the driver's side axle also. It won't go in regardless what I did. I pound it with a hammer countless times but it wouldn't move, so I got mad and took out the whole strut assembly. This way, I can position the axle straight and with one blow from my hammer, it went in easily. So I guess it was the angle that I was working on that didn't allow it to go in nicely.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Whatchyou say?

OMFG ... you did what???? Why on this earth would you need to "pound on it with a hammer"? you have to remove the axle from the hub ... meaning - you place the axle in the trans first, then in the hub .... if you did it any other way, of course it wouldn't go in ....
Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 AM
When are gas prices going down

I already have the strut assembly out. I'm thinking I might not have LSD, but bought an axle for that application. The difference between the original and the one I got yesterday is about 1 1/4 inches (new one longer). I'm exchanging the part today (but have to get a re-man cuz new ones aren't available), so we'll see if that works. Thanks to all for input. I'm going to try the circle clip removal first, just to make sure that's not the problem.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the new axle is not identical to the old in length, there's no way the new longer axle will work.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Merlot02SE
I'm thinking I might not have LSD, but bought an axle for that application. T

That metal rod you can see in the differential means it is definitely not a VLSD trans. On a VLSD trans with both axles out, you can see all the way through it. Also, the VLSD axle has double splines on it, the standard does not. They will not interchange.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
OMFG ... you did what???? Why on this earth would you need to "pound on it with a hammer"? you have to remove the axle from the hub ... meaning - you place the axle in the trans first, then in the hub .... if you did it any other way, of course it wouldn't go in ....
I didn't literally just pound it with a hammer. I had already inserted most of the axle in, but it still have an inch gap between the transmission. So I used a block of wood to pad the other end where the bolt is and used a heavy hammer to pound it in. Works like a charm.

Oh, I first went to Autozone for the axle. They gave me one that was new and specifically for my maxima. Turns out it didn't fit because one part of that axle was about an 1" longer than the stock axle. I returned it and went to Advanceauto and got one that fit. I guess if there's anything that is different from stock, it won't fit.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by fisher01
If the new axle is not identical to the old in length, there's no way the new longer axle will work.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, this thread was of minimal help. I know it's 8 years after the last post, but this has been the hardest part of my installation. I love how some people provide snark as if it were information. I'm actually going to post something that will help...

One of the users above was partly right. There is a ring on the new drivers side axle called the 'retaining clip.' You want to remove that (see picture.) When you do, the axle will slide right in the transmission.

On the passage side, you need to slide the axle in as far as it will go. Then you want to take the large bolt that connects the axle to wheel hub, and screw it flush with the threads at the outside of the axle (see picture). Use a mallet hammer it in with light to medium force... the axle will seat all the way in. Make sure that you have the axle inside the support bearing bracket (see picture.)

Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Wait, you're supposed to remove that snap ring?
Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Wait, you're supposed to remove that snap ring?
I don't think so. But you do have to keep it from sliding down into the groove and hanging down from the bottom. That blocks the axle from going in. I put some vaseline in the groove, but I understand grease works too. That held the clip in place well enough to center it around the axle, and then it went right in. Although I did have to getting a running start with the axle, sort of like a slide hammer...