4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Summer project: 00VI swap. gathering all the parts. Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Summer project: 00VI swap. gathering all the parts. Have questions

had this in all motor but decided to move it here b/c of more viewers.

alright, i needed to replace my VC gaskests anyways and thought,
why don't i do the 00vi during the process. wouldn't that be a great idea.
so i read a good bit on the 00vi threads and whatnot and i'm trying to search and gather all the parts and be fully ready when the time comes to install it.

parts list:
1) 00 UIM
2) 00 TB
3) 00 IACV
4) 4rth gen LIM
5) 00 Rear valve cover
6) 00 Rear coil packs
7) MSD RPM SWITCH
8) New VC gasket kit

this 00vi thing is still new to me so i hope you don't mind some of the questions and i know i sent PM's to a couple of you 00vi experts.

1) are 2001 parts compatible? (sounds stupid but they look all the same and what not as far as the UIM goes)

2) when buying new VC gaskets, should i buy one for the 4th gen model or 2000 model?

3) What is the common, cheap Summit rpm switch most orgers buy? Part #?

4) when tapping 4 new holes on the 4rth gen LIM, it doesn't matter if you turn it 180 degrees or not right?
a) what drilling method is the best? helicoils? how much smaller of a hole do i need to make so it won't interfere with the existing holes? where can i find the bolts to accomodate this?
b) how big should i make the dowel holes?
c) how do you fill in the other holes? which holes are you supose to fill?

5) if you tap only 2 holes using the two existing ones, have there been reports of any vacuum leak or any other issues?

6) i don't have a drill press. where can i go to get something like this done and how much does this usually run on a ballpark?

7) when i get a UIM and the VIAS happens to not work, how much do those usually run?

6/1/08:

4rth gen LIM: waiting on someone
01 Rear valve cover bought: $34.95
New MSD RPM switch PN#: 8969 bought: $51 + shipping

Last edited by G4nismo; 06-01-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 PM

1) Yes, everything will work. THe 01s however have the EGR blockoff instead of the pipe.

2) If you can, get an A32 front gasket, and A33 rear.

3) Ill get back to you on the one I bought.

4) Correct, it doesnt matter. I wouldnt turn it, only for the sake of the ECU ground on the front.

a) I would get helicoils. I have been through two different LIMs, one was JBwelded, drilled and tapped, and the second(current one Im using) was Welded, drilled and tapped. I have had stripping issues with both. I would get the complimentary helicoil/tap set for the existing bolts with the kit(if you need some, PM me, ive got extras). The thread pattern is M6 x 1 IIRC.

b) I used 1/4diameter, 1" long dowels. You can use anything for a dowel. Drill your hole just bigger than the dowel diameter.

c) You can weld them, JB weld them, or someone even mentioned screwing a bolt in, cutting it off and welding it in. On the A32 LIM, there are 4 holes in between ports 2&3 and 4&5, all of these will need to be filled.

5) No report of vacuum leaks, however the ports are not matched. They are off by roughly 3/16ths of an inch(credit to Tatanko).

6) A drill press is only necessary to drill the new holes after it has been welded. The tap is done by hand. I used my uncle's who got a Drill Master(its small, but worked perfectly) at Ace Hardware for under $50 on sale. Any machine shop could drill the 4 holes, I would probably say $10 for them, I hope you dont pay more.

7) Yes, that looks correct as far as I can remember. That is it for wiring. I used Tatankos diagram for mine.

8) A new VIAS? I honestly have no idea, but its possible that you may end up paying more for a new VIAS than a new UIM w/ VIAS.

Hope that helps man!

Btw, if you want my old, spare LIM that was JBwelded, you can take it + shipping costs.

And also, when do you plan on doing the swap? I may be interested in taking a road trip.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
1) Yes, everything will work. THe 01s however have the EGR blockoff instead of the pipe.

2) If you can, get an A32 front gasket, and A33 rear.

3) Ill get back to you on the one I bought.

4) Correct, it doesnt matter. I wouldnt turn it, only for the sake of the ECU ground on the front.

a) I would get helicoils. I have been through two different LIMs, one was JBwelded, drilled and tapped, and the second(current one Im using) was Welded, drilled and tapped. I have had stripping issues with both. I would get the complimentary helicoil/tap set for the existing bolts with the kit(if you need some, PM me, ive got extras). The thread pattern is M6 x 1 IIRC.

b) I used 1/4diameter, 1" long dowels. You can use anything for a dowel. Drill your hole just bigger than the dowel diameter.

c) You can weld them, JB weld them, or someone even mentioned screwing a bolt in, cutting it off and welding it in. On the A32 LIM, there are 4 holes in between ports 2&3 and 4&5, all of these will need to be filled.

5) No report of vacuum leaks, however the ports are not matched. They are off by roughly 3/16ths of an inch(credit to Tatanko).

6) A drill press is only necessary to drill the new holes after it has been welded. The tap is done by hand. I used my uncle's who got a Drill Master(its small, but worked perfectly) at Ace Hardware for under $50 on sale. Any machine shop could drill the 4 holes, I would probably say $10 for them, I hope you dont pay more.

7) Yes, that looks correct as far as I can remember. That is it for wiring. I used Tatankos diagram for mine.

8) A new VIAS? I honestly have no idea, but its possible that you may end up paying more for a new VIAS than a new UIM w/ VIAS.

Hope that helps man!

Btw, if you want my old, spare LIM that was JBwelded, you can take it + shipping costs.

And also, when do you plan on doing the swap? I may be interested in taking a road trip.

okkkkkkk. oh man i have a headache from too much reading. i think i'm pretty set to do this now.

2) wait, why would i need A33 rear gasket? your still using the 4rth gen LIM...

3) I found it. Summit RPM switch PN#: 830449
I actually found a new MSD 8969 going for about $50. so I’m actually stoked about that.

4) a) alright. Well like I said, since I don’t have a drill press nor a welder, I was just going to tell the shop I want it done using helicoils, in this diameter and bla bla bla. If they don’t have it, guess I’ll just get it from you or somewhere else.
c) just saw this. Stephen max didn’t even filled his holes in. the new holes are awfully close to the original ones.

I don’t know if I would JB weld the original holes. Could possibly crack them when drilling the new holes in my opinion.

6) so I guess I need a 6mm tap for the thread pattern M6 x 1? will the stock bolts that come w/ the 00UIM work for this pattern or is it smaller? if so, what bolts and length do i need?

7) yeh, I took that off before you posted. figured out how to do it.

8) yeh whenever I find a UIM, just hoping the VIAS will work. Wish it wasn’t designed like crap but for 20-30 hp
I’m not gonna complain too much.

I bought, well I haven’t paid for the LIM yet but are you saying your willing to give your LIM away for free?

What I’m planning on doing is trying to do 2 major projects within a couple weeks, the suprastick and 00vi swap.
Depending on the budget, I don’t know if I’ll be able to do the suprastick. i’m going w/ the 00vi swap first though as I am going to buy more parts beginning of next week.

Yeh man, if you wanna take a road trip to SC, your more than welcomed to stay over at my place. I could use a good maxima buddy as theres no one here

Last edited by G4nismo; 06-01-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM

2) I am not sure of the shape differences between the A32 and A33 Rear Valve Cover. Im going to assume they are the same, so which gasket you get shouldnt matter.

4) He didnt fill the old ones because he used helicoils. If you do use helicoils, I would do them yourself. The hardest part will be drilling the holes to install the helicoils.

6) The OEM UIM bolts are M6x1.00 thread pattern. Whether you go tap/die or helicoils, you will need to get that pattern. If you dont get any bolts with yours, I have extras.

8) Yeah, you can have my old LIM if you want it. PM me and Ill explain.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM
oem ftw!

2) I am not sure of the shape differences between the A32 and A33 Rear Valve Cover. Im going to assume they are the same, so which gasket you get shouldnt matter.
Yep, the VC gaskets are the same from 95-01. When I bought my new ones, I accidentally told the guy 2000 maxima for the front and rear, when I was only using the 2000 rear valve cover. Later found out that the 95-01 share the same part numbers.

Also, while you're back there, don't forget to change the spark plug tube seals (sometimes referred to as O-rings). I chose to to the swap for the same reason as you; leaky rear valve cover gasket/tube seals, figured "if I'm going to take off the USIM anyway, why not replace it with something better?"
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CRiME
Yep, the VC gaskets are the same from 95-01. When I bought my new ones, I accidentally told the guy 2000 maxima for the front and rear, when I was only using the 2000 rear valve cover. Later found out that the 95-01 share the same part numbers.

Also, while you're back there, don't forget to change the spark plug tube seals (sometimes referred to as O-rings). I chose to to the swap for the same reason as you; leaky rear valve cover gasket/tube seals, figured "if I'm going to take off the USIM anyway, why not replace it with something better?"
I pulled mine off to regasket, next thing I know I've got both intake manifolds and both exhaust manifolds off of the car, EGR and EVAP deleted, and UIM, LIM, and both valve covers spray painted black.

Sometimes you just lose sight of your original goals
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I pulled mine off to regasket, next thing I know I've got both intake manifolds and both exhaust manifolds off of the car, EGR and EVAP deleted, and UIM, LIM, and both valve covers spray painted black.

Sometimes you just lose sight of your original goals
yeh i know what you mean. i actually thought about getting new exhaust manifold gaskets and change them out as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

4) He didnt fill the old ones because he used helicoils. If you do use helicoils, I would do them yourself. The hardest part will be drilling the holes to install the helicoils.

6) The OEM UIM bolts are M6x1.00 thread pattern. Whether you go tap/die or helicoils, you will need to get that pattern. If you dont get any bolts with yours, I have extras.

8) Yeah, you can have my old LIM if you want it. PM me and Ill explain.
alright thanks. pmed you
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME

alright. yeh, i remember about the tube seals. after your done with the whole swap and everything, did any of you guys use a torque wrench according to factory specs? i guess i would go w/ the 2000 factory spec if i was to do that.
sadly, i don't own a torque wrench...yet
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by g4nismo
yeh i know what you mean. i actually thought about getting new exhaust manifold gaskets and change them out as well.
Honestly, the metal exhaust manifold gaskets on the VQs rarely leak. That is to say, we reuse them on all header installs here, and across every single VQ powered vehicle I've ever worked on I've never seen one to leak. I say rarely because surely someone's had a problem with them before, but they seem to seal extremely well.

alright. yeh, i remember about the tube seals. after your done with the whole swap and everything, did any of you guys use a torque wrench according to factory specs? i guess i would go w/ the 2000 factory spec if i was to do that.
sadly, i don't own a torque wrench...yet
Torque wrench? Too much time and effort, IMO. I only use torque wrenches when building motors, otherwise do it by feel (which only really comes with experience/time, I guess).
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Agreed, I wouldnt worry about TQ for this.

Pmed back.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Honestly, the metal exhaust manifold gaskets on the VQs rarely leak. That is to say, we reuse them on all header installs here, and across every single VQ powered vehicle I've ever worked on I've never seen one to leak. I say rarely because surely someone's had a problem with them before, but they seem to seal extremely well.

ah i see. ok, scratch that off, you just saved me a couple hours.
what about the head gaskets? they seem to have that rubber seal around the outer edge. i noticed all this crap near it:
Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
No more Maximas...

what about the head gaskets? they seem to have that rubber seal around the outer edge. i noticed all this crap near it:
That's just a leaky valve cover gasket collecting grime. Spray all that crap off, replace the VC gasket, problem solved.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 PM

That's just a leaky valve cover gasket collecting grime. Spray all that crap off, replace the VC gasket, problem solved.
Do you really need to change it. It takes like 10 000 km before it comes back on my VQ after a shampoo. It depend if it's problematic.
Does it happening often on vq engines? or its a common leak?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE
Do you really need to change it. It takes like 10 000 km before it comes back on my VQ after a shampoo. It depend if it's problematic.
Does it happening often on vq engines? or its a common leak?
Seems to be rather common for a weeping valve cover on the VQ30s. Replace the gasket (though ~3 years ago, I took my original cracked rubber gasket, coated it in RTV and hadn't leaked a drop up until I pulled the cover off a few days ago), RTV the proper areas, and it shouldn't leak anymore.

Just make sure you clean up the mating surface on the head, as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by G4nismo

did you buy that whole kit? Where did u find it
Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
did you buy that whole kit? Where did u find it
That's from domesticgaskets - http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/domesticgaskets/

I actually just bought a head gasket set from them myself to finish up my car, and it's a pretty damn good quality set.