4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 Speed or clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM

5 Speed or clutch problem?

Alright, so here's the deal. I am purchasing a 1997 Nissan Maxima with 126k. It has the orignal tranny, but a Exidy Stage 1 clutch. It was replaced in the last 15-20k miles.

So here is the problem check. I've searched the forums and researched the notorious tranny 'whirling' noise due to the bearings wearing out prematurely. But I have never had the experience first hand, or have never heard this sound. So I come to you guys.

The car when started has this kind of noise like a metal clicking/chattering that you can hear when the car is parked at a standstill. It's almost as if something is making this bearing clicking/whirling noise. I'm not exaclty sure if it's the same noise others have described. Take note this is parked, and not in gear. If you step on the clutch while parked, the noise goes away, and the car is completely silent. And when you drive the car, you can hear the same noise, and it varies with speed, and goes away as soon as the clutch is engaged. Any thoughts?

Overall, the car drives very smoothly, and it seems as if the tranny shifts fairly well and strong. Then again, I've never had the chance to compare a perfectly working 5 speed and one that has the bearing problem.

The orignal owner said that the problem only occured immediatly after the clutch was replaced. It never did it with the orignal OEM clutch, only when it was replaced.

Last edited by tcaughey; 05-10-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Most likely the throw out bearing. When the clutch is released the bearing has no load on it and squeals, when you push the clutch in the fork rod loads the bearing and it quiets down. Fairly typical and I have read on here of brand new bearings doing this. Personally, if you can live with the noise I wouldnt worry about it right away.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Maintenance Monster

Input shaft bearing or throwout bearing. Based on the fact that it came on suddenly after a clutch change, probably the throwout bearing.

If you have the tranny down for any reason, have a qualified transmission repair shop check things out.

Dave
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Input shaft bearing or throwout bearing. Based on the fact that it came on suddenly after a clutch change, probably the throwout bearing.

If you have the tranny down for any reason, have a qualified transmission repair shop check things out.

Dave
The input shaft bearing still spins when the car is in motion even if the clutch is depressed. It is the throwout bearing.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 AM

I third the motion to throwout bearing!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Alright then, sounds like a start then.

What about this?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ring+throw+out

Can anyone back this claim up though? He seems to be having the same problem, but they all thought it was the input shaft bearing? BUT, he has a 5th gen. I guess the best thing to do is replace all of the bearings when I am down there?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Maintenance Monster

Input shaft bearing makes noise when the car is stopped, in neutral with the engine running and the clutch out. Input shaft bearing noise goes away when you then put the clutch in.

Your description is a little different, and the fact that it began exactly with a clutch change suggests otherwise.

If you want to be safe, drain the tranny oil and have a look for metal flakes. The oil will be black but if you have sand-sized metal flakes in the bottom of the drain pan you know the tranny inside is fubar. Throwout bearing is external to the tranny.

Dave
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Thats what kindof scares me though, because what you described,

"Input shaft bearing makes noise when the car is stopped, in neutral with the engine running and the clutch out. Input shaft bearing noise goes away when you then put the clutch in."

the car has this symptom.

I know its hard to tell when the owner said it started to do this right after the clutch replacement. He has been driving on it for a while now and it has never gotten worse.

I also notice when driving it,I can get the noise to go away if I coast at moderate speed, and VERY SLIGHTLY give constant throttle. When I mean slightly, I am barely pressing the throttle enough to notice that the throttle is indeed pressed, and the car is continuing to accelerate. Any more throttle and the noise will come back as I continue to accelerate.

The noise is definitly there in neutral, out of gear. Only goes away when the clutch is pressed in. The noise continues to be there while in gear moving, and I would say it varies slightly depending on the speed of the car. It is present in all gears too.

Even though the tranny is driving pretty strong, can I assume its some sort of "bearing problem"? It's not driving like the tranny is going to give out. It drives very well, but only sounds like it is a piece of crap ...

What do you mean by the tranny inside is fubar? Meaning might be more damage than just the bearings?

Last edited by tcaughey; 05-11-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Does the noise go away as soon as pressure is placed on the clutch pedal or does the clutch have to be fully disengaged for it to stop. Most throw out bearings will quiet down as soon as pressure is applied.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by tcaughey
I am purchasing a 1997 Nissan Maxima with 126k. It has the orignal tranny, but a Exidy Stage 1 clutch. .
The pure fact that it has that clutch says the car was driven hard.

It's your money, do what you want with it. I wouldn't buy it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:52 PM

A person cannot conclude that a car was driven hard because of a new clutch. Too many variables of why the clutch was replaced in the first place. Also, we are talking about a Maxima here, and 5 speeds are known for these kind of problems(i.e. regarding the whirrling/bearing sounds), regardless of how hard the car was driven.

And for those people thinking, "move on, find another Maxima", the only reason why I am considering this one is because it is in awesome shape, and runs beautifully. I know how a Maxima is supposed to run, and this is no exception. Only catch is I have never had experience with the 5 speeds and their problems.

Would anybody trust taking the car to a qualified transmission mechanic before I buy the car and see what he has to say about the sound before I buy it?

Last edited by tcaughey; 05-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM

ITs not the throw-out bearing. IT is the dry input bearing... A lot of people mis dianose it on here... At first I thought it was too, until I noticed that the TO bearing is not touching anything until you hit the clutch, So why would make the noise? Then when you tap it, the TO pushes on the pressure plate and the Input bearing does not have as much on it.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coremanx
ITs not the throw-out bearing. IT is the dry input bearing... A lot of people mis dianose it on here... At first I thought it was too, until I noticed that the TO bearing is not touching anything until you hit the clutch, So why would make the noise? Then when you tap it, the TO pushes on the pressure plate and the Input bearing does not have as much on it.
With the clutch released the throw out bearing is resting unloaded against the pressure plate spinning at engine speed. With no real load on the bearing many times they will squeal (which is nothing more than a high frequency vibration within the loose bearing). When the bearing is loaded everything tightens up and the noise goes away which is why I asked if it got quiet as soon as the clutch is depressed or if it had to be fully disengaged. If it goes away as soon as the clutch is pressed down an inch or so then it is most likely the throw out bearing as there is no real load change on the input bearing at this point. Plus the fact that the input bearing is not "loaded" until torque is transmitted through the shaft causing the shaft to deflect away from the gear it is mated with inside the transmission.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Maintenance Monster

Well they aren't easy to tell apart, that's for sure. An input shaft bearing gone bad has the same basic noise characteristics. That's why I suggested getting it checked out by a transmission shop or checking the gear oil yourself. Input shaft bearing problems can cost double-triple what a t/o bearing change costs.

Dave
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Im glad you made this thread. Im traveling to Florida from Cali to pick up a 5spd. Good to know.

Any other tips?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, get under it and make sure it isn't leaking a single drop iof gear oil from the driverside axle.

OP, sorry to say it, it's input shaft, overhaul needed. Post 12 is da' truff.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 AM

Thanks for everything guys. Whether the car was driven hard or not, it was still a very nice car. Too bad for this issue though. Next time I come across a 5 speed, I will definitely be checking out this issue before I make any final decisions. A car can look amazing and beautiful, but if it doesn't run mechanically sound, what good is it? If there is one good thing about paying for my school out of pocket; It'll prevent me from buying a problem. I am letting this car go.

Last edited by tcaughey; 05-13-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So if the input shaft bearing and all of that is gone, is the transmission pretty much guaranteed to be toast? I ask because I have a '99 and I'm almost positive my input shaft bearing/seal has taken a dump along with the clutch. I really don't want to buy a new transmission
Old 05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Maintenance Monster

I've seen input shaft bearings wear and go ignored for too long and trash much of the tranny. But most trannys with a bad input shaft bearing are entirely rebuildable.

Dave
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 PM

I just bought my Maxima about a month ago, and a few weeks ago I heard this similar noise. I just learned to drive a manual transmission which might have screwed something up. I read this thread and I am a little confused. When I barely step on the clutch the noise goes away, all I barely have to do is set my foot on it. Is this the throwout bearing or the input bearing? Should I fix it immediately? because it doesn't really bother me that much.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've seen input shaft bearings wear and go ignored for too long and trash much of the tranny. But most trannys with a bad input shaft bearing are entirely rebuildable.

Dave
Yeah I just bought the car about a week ago. I thought the clutch was just slipping a little bit when I bought it and just ignored it since it was the exact car I wanted in spectacular shape (black leather, fully loaded with 5 speed). Then just a couple days later this problem suddenly arised. I tore it all down yesterday after work and now it's being rebuilt by the transmission guy as I type this. Sucks, but at least I didn't have to buy a whole new one.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Maintenance Monster

I think you made a very wise investment. Make sure your tranny guy remeasures each of the shaft endplays - it's not very often that I can re-use all of them.

Dave
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think you made a very wise investment. Make sure your tranny guy remeasures each of the shaft endplays - it's not very often that I can re-use all of them.

Dave
You wouldn't happen to know the acceptable play would you? When it comes to transmissions, I have to look the other way; it's just all too complicated to me. At least it's not an automatic, though...I wouldn't even touch one of those things.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Maintenance Monster

You should download and print the FSM for that.

Dave
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You should download and print the FSM for that.

Dave
Yeah I suppose that makes a little bit of sense...