4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Mods...Help Me Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Engine Mods...Help Me Out

What Can i Do to make my maxima run a lil better/faster...

right now im concentrating on fixing her up...i got a new carpet painted my dash cleared my tails....im gonna drop it but dunno what spring setup to use and im gonna go with the stillen kit during summer

my fender door skins and bumpers need body work/replacement

i was gonna order some clear bumper lights and cold air intake... what else can i do to my car for performance purposes at a decent cost?

thanks for the constructive critizism in advance

Get My Liscenes This September!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Put a y-pipe! it frees up two pre-cats, and get rid of your stock cat to if you want and get a hi-flow one! Cold air to the fender wrapped with exhaust wrap and you'll make some decent power increases! go turbo for real power though!!

VQ30de-k(T)
Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Ypipe for the noob. And get a new exhaust tip.

00VI, but not until you can.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mooseq30
Put a y-pipe! it frees up two pre-cats, and get rid of your stock cat to if you want and get a hi-flow one! Cold air to the fender wrapped with exhaust wrap and you'll make some decent power increases! go turbo for real power though!!

VQ30de-k(T)
unless your boosted, you won't see barely any gains wrapping your exhaust!

Make sure your engine is running, clean. Clean your throttle body, and invest in a new knock sensor, best bang for the buck. Also since your not boosted, getting rid of all the back pressure will actually make you lose power. Keep you cat, just put a y-pipe and cat back exhaust.

Last edited by SmileyFace; 04-28-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Nitrous, turbo, or don't bother.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Da Russian
unless your boosted, you won't see barely any gains, if any!

Make sure your engine is running, clean. Clean your throttle body, and invest in a new knock sensor, best bang for the buck. Also since your not boosted, getting rid of all the back pressure will actually make you lose power. Keep you cat, just put a y-pipe and cat back exhaust.
Backpressure == bad.

Won't see barely any gains from what, the Y?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM

unless your boosted, you won't see barely any gains, if any!

unless your boosted you wont see any gains in the Y? are you serious?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

My bad, I missed typed. Actually I've read up somewhere that having some back pressure (not alot) increases torque in N/A engines.

Well after reading this up, wrapping actually can help even N/A engines. Check it out.
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php

Last edited by SmileyFace; 04-28-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by KyleFort32
Getting my license this September!
Fixed.

As far as mods - dude, you've been here long enough to know that you should search. It's also in the stickies.
y-pipe is #1 though, yes
Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Breather mods, then light wheels.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM

00VI FTMFW

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 04-28-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM

im gonna search now but what exactly is oovi? lets see if i can anwser myself first...always come across never seem to grasp what it is?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM

'00 variable intake?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 PM

get a snail.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 PM

fix up the car... sell it.. and get an fbody...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 PM

unless your boosted, you won't see barely any gains wrapping your exhaust!

actually the cat doesnt give you much back pressure it's the muffler big time.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM

:

Get My Liscenes This September!
What!!! you dont have your liscenes!!!

Learn to drive then think about moding your car dude. Heck I got a ticket every year for three years cause I was a stupid driver.

DONT BE DUMB!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 PM

your best mod for you right now is your parking brake.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

honestly the more time you spend with your head under the hood the more you learn about your maxima and seeing as you dont have your license yet im pretty sure you dont KNOW your car.... **** i know my maxima as if i gave birth to it and raised it but my point is dont go off trying to buy parts for your maxima that you have no idea in hell how to install until you really spend some time doing the basic things to it even if its just changing the oil you learn more the more you spend doing **** to it..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
What!!! you dont have your liscenes!!!

Learn to drive then think about moding your car dude. Heck I got a ticket every year for three years cause I was a stupid driver.

DONT BE DUMB!!!

get a feel for your car fist man..... it might sound like advice, but just listen.... focus on the cosmetic mods for now. For a 16yo, Your car has enough power stock. I've been driving for abou 10 years, and I totaled my car in '06 (although I wasn't at fault ). I'll tell you from experience that losing your ride that you've invested a lot of time and $$$ into is not fun at all! the last thing we'd want to see around here is a thread posted by you in september along the lines of "Is this totaled? PICS"

Not to go O/T, but this thread reminded me of the kid who just got his license and was posting away on the BMW boards asking how to make his brand new M5 go faster. I'm sure we all remember the outcome.

Last edited by CRiME; 04-28-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
fix up the car... sell it.. and get an fbody...
fbody, pshhhh
Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mooseq30
Cold air to the fender wrapped with exhaust wrap and you'll make some decent power increases!
do u have proof on this?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME

Not to go O/T, but this thread reminded me of the kid who just got his license and was posting away on the BMW boards asking how to make his brand new M5 go faster. I'm sure we all remember the outcome.
Sadly I think we all do..... now i would just fix the broken things and not add anything just understand your car. then take your time and mabe start modding. but just make sure you take your time and research (call and ask your uncles, or any mechanic buddy's, or who ever just ask for a lot of advise)

again
DONT BE DUMB

think first
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 PM

again
DONT BE DUMB

think first[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 PM

get to know your car.. +1
fix the broken parts.. +1
full detail to have the cleanest ride.. FTW

and like everyone has said take your time and be smart. .
Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
focus on the cosmetic mods for now
Waste of $ imo.

I say be dumb and supercharge yo whip!
(jk obv)
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
fbody, pshhhh

OH yea... what do you see wrong with them... also have you ever driven one.?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
OH yea... what do you see wrong with them... also have you ever driven one.?
Whats wrong with them?
1) Window motor brand new from factory is slower then my 10 year old maxima window motor. I'd smoke an f-body in a window race any day!
2) Interior (tho comfy) sucks!
3) Visibility out those cars blows.
and the biggest problem:
4) Pushrod... lol jk.

Otherwise they are good, I'd love to own one myself. Was pretty close to buying one a few months ago.
They are fast, fun to drive, t-tops rock, the trans am look cool (not a fan of camaros), not much to diss really.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM

I thought about getting one, although, the Interior is not my style at all, and I can't stand automatic. The Maxima ended up being almost exactly what I wanted, simple attractive design in the interior, luxurious, quiet, stickshift, perfect size, good handling, light weight, pretty fast, good gas mileage.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I thought about getting one, although, the Interior is not my style at all, and I can't stand automatic. The Maxima ended up being almost exactly what I wanted, simple attractive design in the interior, luxurious, quiet, stickshift, perfect size, good handling, light weight, pretty fast, good gas mileage.

wat?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
The Maxima ended up being almost exactly what I wanted, simple attractive design in the interior, luxurious, quiet, stickshift, perfect size, good handling, light weight, pretty fast, good gas mileage.
Umm... what?
I think my max is as big as cars should ever go; it handles well compared to a buick and a camry but thats not saying much; it weights over 3000lbs, which I think is heavy; I wouldnt go so far as to call it fast, but it is quick; gas mileage... no
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM

1st off..im not a jackass....as of now i no my maxima pretty well...i mean i took the whole thing apart inside and out...

besides interior modifications i was just looking on some engine pointers....i think im gonna get an ebay CAI but what type of exhaust can i get that has performance gains that isnt ricey?

dont knock me cuz im 16 pleaseeee.....you were all in this situation and trust me for my age i am very mature
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Sad to see no one suggest VQ35 swap.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
oem ftw!

I'm pretty sure when people are telling you to get to know the car, they mean you should get to know the LIMITS of the car AND your driving skills before you start throwing performance mods at it. That kind of learning can only come through regular driving EXPERIENCE. It has nothing to do with being able to tear the interior apart or whatever. Nobody is knocking you for your age at all, it's more out of concern that you might kill yourself. But, it is what it is... Do as you wish

Last edited by CRiME; 04-29-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM

A stock maxima is more than enough for someone with no driving experience. Learn to really drive the car first, take it to an autocross or something... you'll be able to tell when you're ready for more power.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM

no one is knocking you because your 16. just worry about exterior mods for now. the only performance mods u need are an injen cai and catback by your local muffler shop. i just turned 19, have this is my 2nd max since 15.
get a lip kit, and some springs. check out my max. link below
Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 PM

White Charisma is back lol
Old 04-29-2008, 01:45 PM

no Injen
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM

1st off..im not a jackass....as of now i no my maxima pretty well...i mean i took the whole thing apart inside and out...
[IMG]http://a195.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/93/l_a610ea19785af6924b90d7db0397d16a.jpg[IMG]

besides interior modifications i was just looking on some engine pointers....i think im gonna get an ebay CAI but what type of exhaust can i get that has performance gains that isnt ricey?

dont knock me cuz im 16 pleaseeee.....you were all in this situation and trust me for my age i am very mature
For your age you are mature.. I'm sure. When I was 17 I was "mature for my age" too. However, cars did not get along with my driving style very well, if you get my drift.

A CAI will net you no power, it will only make your car loud (and lose low-end). Stick with the stock intake. In terms of exhaust mods, a y pipe will give you some power but it will make the car sound like a pontiac V6 (and you will have to relocate your O2 sensors if my memory serves me correctly).

Save up, wait until you get your license. We know you're excited about driving the car, but just maintain it well for now, get your license and get some experience under your belt.

Originally Posted by LeVeL
Umm... what?
I think my max is as big as cars should ever go; it handles well compared to a buick and a camry but thats not saying much; it weights over 3000lbs, which I think is heavy; I wouldnt go so far as to call it fast, but it is quick; gas mileage... no
Handling is relative; a Maxima handles alright compared to cars in a similar class but it is a big step down from a sports car.

Weight.. again, relative. For its size and purpose ~3030lbs curb is pretty damn light (or 3070 if you have an auto).

Gas mileage.. well on paper it is ok (22/27 for a 5 speed wasn't it?) but I get about 16-17mpg with a good knock sensor. Then again I like to dip into the throttle.

It is pretty quick--certainly quicker than you'd expect--again, for what it is.

And I think it's just the right size. Plenty of interior room and trunk space FTW. Again, it is not a sports car.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
For your age you are mature.. I'm sure. When I was 17 I was "mature for my age" too. However, cars did not get along with my driving style very well, if you get my drift.

A CAI will net you no power, it will only make your car loud (and lose low-end). Stick with the stock intake. In terms of exhaust mods, a y pipe will give you some power but it will make the car sound like a pontiac V6 (and you will have to relocate your O2 sensors if my memory serves me correctly).

Save up, wait until you get your license. We know you're excited about driving the car, but just maintain it well for now, get your license and get some experience under your belt.

Handling is relative; a Maxima handles alright compared to cars in a similar class but it is a big step down from a sports car.

Weight.. again, relative. For its size and purpose ~3030lbs curb is pretty damn light (or 3070 if you have an auto).

Gas mileage.. well on paper it is ok (22/27 for a 5 speed wasn't it?) but I get about 16-17mpg with a good knock sensor. Then again I like to dip into the throttle.

It is pretty quick--certainly quicker than you'd expect--again, for what it is.

And I think it's just the right size. Plenty of interior room and trunk space FTW. Again, it is not a sports car.
It has been proven that CAI does give you power over your stock air box, and you don't have to relocate O2 sensors on all y-pipes, I didn't have to relocate on mine FTW.

Quick Reply: Engine Mods...Help Me Out