4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A couple Q's on auto climate control

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 PM

A couple Q's on auto climate control

I've searched and read a lot of threads, but none that really answer these questions.

From searching I know that 98's and 99's got a new climate control system, with the Auto, Econ, and OFF buttons all clustered together where the hot/cold buttons were on the 1995-1997 control. 99's and late late 98's got an ambient temp button, but all of this style have the ambient functionality built in and a button can be ordered or rigged up.

With this new system apparently there are a lot more wires and three harness connectors for it.

My question is, why did Nissan change it with what seems like very minor changes? For some reason I get the impression that the 98 and 99's climate control is somehow smarter and uses more sensors or something considering it has more connectors? Anyone know if there are any functional differences as far as actually controlling the climate in the 98 and 99 system?

My second question, from my searching on the ambient function I pretty much gather that the general consensus is that us 1995-1997 guys are screwed as far as AMB temp readings go. When I shine a flashlight into my display however, there is a spot for AMB in the screen. What I am wondering is perhaps is there a hidden button combo that access it? I know there is a special mode you can put the climate control in to set it to max hot for when you flush the coolant system, maybe there is a special thing like that to see the ambient temp? Also, how do I take the face of my climate control off? Who knows maybe there is even a button back there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Kevlo for President

98-99 Auto AC systems are COMPLETELY different from the 95-97, they are not compatible at all.\

We cannot add a AMB button to the 95-97 systems
Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Licensed to Spell

Seems like more than two questions there moden.

No '98s have the AMB button. But it can be added to a '98.

"Anyone know if there are any functional differences as far as actually controlling the climate in the 98 and 99 system?" Not sure what you are asking.

'95-'97 can not add the AMB button. Trust me, I wanted it so badly, one of the reason I bought my '99 was so I could have outside temp. display.

"I know there is a special mode you can put the climate control in to set it to max hot for when you flush the coolant system..". Huh? Wouldn't this just be setting it to 85^?

"What I am wondering is perhaps is there a hidden button combo that access it?"
There is. It's clunky and probably not exactly what you were looking for. But it is possible. I forget the exact combo but within 5 seconds of starting your car (or turning the key to ON), hold Off for 5 seconds, then press defrost.......etc. Sorry, I used to do it more often but I forget since I haven't done it in a while. PM me if you really want to know. I'll find it at home. I wouldn't mind it so much if there wasn't the 5 second limitation. It prevents you from checking the outside temp on a whim while driving.

You can get an outside temp display mirror like I have too.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Awesome thanks for the info guys.

Huh? Wouldn't this just be setting it to 85^?
I heard this was the procedure for the 95-97 climate controls for changing your coolant because it opens the valve to the heatercore:

• Turn the ignition switch from the "OFF" to the "ON" position
  • With in 5 seconds of being switched "ON" push the "OFF" button on the climate control for at least 5 seconds.
  • Press the "HOT" button 3 times
  • Press the "DEFROST" button 2 times. Code 43 will be displayed.
  • Wait 10 seconds before switching the ignition to "OFF"
"Anyone know if there are any functional differences as far as actually controlling the climate in the 98 and 99 system?" Not sure what you are asking.
Since the 1995-1997 and the 1998 and 1999 climate control systems are completely different, I figured there had to be something different or "new and improved" for Nissan to completely redesign what is basically the same thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew what exactly was "new and improved" over the newer stuff, because it obviously is more complex with more wires and connectors going into it.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

All I know is that the climate control in my 99 works awsome.
Who cares what Nissan did, all I know is it works.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Awesome thanks for the info guys.

I heard this was the procedure for the 95-97 climate controls for changing your coolant because it opens the valve to the heatercore:

[/FONT][/LEFT][/LIST]

Since the 1995-1997 and the 1998 and 1999 climate control systems are completely different, I figured there had to be something different or "new and improved" for Nissan to completely redesign what is basically the same thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew what exactly was "new and improved" over the newer stuff, because it obviously is more complex with more wires and connectors going into it.
Hey, cool (pun not intended). I'll have to try that. Will it work for '98/'99?

I have a '96 and a '99. Aside from the physical look/face layout and the introduction of the AMB, I can not tell a difference. If there are some behind the scenes features, I don't know about them. But user-interface-wise, they operate the same.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

Here is the post from DAVE Sz who taught me how to do it (outside temp. on a '95-'97).

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=16

It's a bit of a pain but it works. You can leave the outside temp. display up while driving around, but you won't be able to use your electronic climate control at the same time.

This may be a bit extreme but you could place a switch on the power line at the fuse box. While driving, flick the switch to interrupt power to the ECC, then within 5 seconds check the outside temp. I was in the desert once while driving and was dying to know the outside temp. so I pulled the fuse, put it back in and then checked the temp.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Here is the post from DAVE Sz who taught me how to do it (outside temp. on a '95-'97).

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=16

It's a bit of a pain but it works. You can leave the outside temp. display up while driving around, but you won't be able to use your electronic climate control at the same time.

This may be a bit extreme but you could place a switch on the power line at the fuse box. While driving, flick the switch to interrupt power to the ECC, then within 5 seconds check the outside temp. I was in the desert once while driving and was dying to know the outside temp. so I pulled the fuse, put it back in and then checked the temp.
Nice! I just figured it out by messing around the other day. Neither of these functions illuminates the "AMB" light which is built into the display through, I am dead set on finding this because I know it has to exist if they have a spot for it on the screen.

Does anyone know where I can find out all I need to know on the 95-97 climate control? I am talking wire diagrams, full out writeups and explanations of all the codes in diagnostic mode, etc.

BTW, that above link kinda answered my above question somewhat, the 98 and newer climate controls measure the air intake temperature as well however the 95-97 do not. I bet this is one of the changes Nissan made which explains the 30 some od wires going into the 98 and newer. I bet the newer system measures and processes a lot more variables.

Last edited by modenaf1; 05-03-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

i dont know anything about this and don't reall find it all that important but... regarding the amb light on the diplay it is very possible that the same screen is used in another model or foreign version that offers that option. nissan reuses a lot of parts.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM

blackonblack....i totally agree. im sure its the same display used on the japanese models which is why the option is there.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Nice! I just figured it out by messing around the other day. Neither of these functions illuminates the "AMB" light which is built into the display through, I am dead set on finding this because I know it has to exist if they have a spot for it on the screen.

Does anyone know where I can find out all I need to know on the 95-97 climate control? I am talking wire diagrams, full out writeups and explanations of all the codes in diagnostic mode, etc.

BTW, that above link kinda answered my above question somewhat, the 98 and newer climate controls measure the air intake temperature as well however the 95-97 do not. I bet this is one of the changes Nissan made which explains the 30 some od wires going into the 98 and newer. I bet the newer system measures and processes a lot more variables.

Good luck moden. Sorry to be pessimistic but I honestly don't think you'll figure it out. Trust me, it was kiiiiiling me too. My solution? Buy a '99. lol. I still have my '96 so I would like to figure it out just like you but I don't think we can. I agree with sodie and b on b, I think it was an over-seas thing. Also, the '95-'97 DO read the outside temp, there is a sensor up by the radiator on both my cars. Lastly, like I said before, you could get one of these: