4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing Chain Rattle?? But, Not The Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Timing Chain Rattle?? But, Not The Tensioner

Okay, so I was sure my rattle at low RPM's was the infamous tensioner. But, I had my mechanic replace the tensioner and my two belts, but the rattle is still there.

We did notice that we thought the bearings sounded like they were going in the alternator, but this noise sure sounds like it's the chain.

Any suggestions, would bad bearings in an alternator rattle like hell at low rpm's and especially when the engine is bogged down like when you are going up a hill and it's on the border of needing to downshift? That's when it's the loudest, that and when I first start it and put it in gear and the engine's rpm's drop, it could wake up the neighbors.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Husker Z
Okay, so I was sure my rattle at low RPM's was the infamous tensioner. But, I had my mechanic replace the tensioner and my two belts, but the rattle is still there.

We did notice that we thought the bearings sounded like they were going in the alternator, but this noise sure sounds like it's the chain.

Any suggestions, would bad bearings in an alternator rattle like hell at low rpm's and especially when the engine is bogged down like when you are going up a hill and it's on the border of needing to downshift? That's when it's the loudest, that and when I first start it and put it in gear and the engine's rpm's drop, it could wake up the neighbors.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
If the tensioner pulley's bearings are going, it will definitely sound like the TC rattle. These tensioner's can be bought for relatively cheap from Courtesy Nissan or Pinnacle or anything Nissan dealership.

A soundlcip couldn't hurt.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

When I pulled up the alternator replacement DIY site, it seems as though mine is doing exactly what his was. The low RPM noise is unbearable almost. The kid that put my new tensioner on and the belts brought the tool where you can listen for where noises are coming from and put it on the alternator and it was making the rattle, but without actually being driven, it wasn't as loud. I might use the long screwdriver and try to duplicate the noise while listening to make sure it's the alternator, but that's my thinking right now.

Is there anyway of telling if the noise is coming from the pulley without pulling it? I guess if I'm going to change the alternator, I might as well spend a few more bucks while everything is torn apart and get a pulley.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Husker Z
When I pulled up the alternator replacement DIY site, it seems as though mine is doing exactly what his was. The low RPM noise is unbearable almost. The kid that put my new tensioner on and the belts brought the tool where you can listen for where noises are coming from and put it on the alternator and it was making the rattle, but without actually being driven, it wasn't as loud. I might use the long screwdriver and try to duplicate the noise while listening to make sure it's the alternator, but that's my thinking right now.

Is there anyway of telling if the noise is coming from the pulley without pulling it? I guess if I'm going to change the alternator, I might as well spend a few more bucks while everything is torn apart and get a pulley.

Thoughts?
Link?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Link?
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/500

That's what really makes me think it's the alternator. That and I know for a FACT there is something rattling in it since we used one of the automotive stethoscopes on it the other day. We just never got the horrible rattle because it either has to be just started up or driving down the road and the motor is bogged down going up a hill, right before it downshifts.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Well, changed the alternator last night (what a pain in the a$$!!) and the noise is gone. Although, I need a new lower bolt for the alternator, there was not one there, which probably contributed to the premature bearing failure. Apparently the dipsh!t that had it before figured if two were required, one must have just been overkill, idiot. Anyone have the specs on that lower bolt?

Thanks and that DIY website was a big help.