4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting System Scenario

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Starting System Scenario

Need some suggestions from anyone previously having this issue(or similar).

1 Went out to Max
2 remotely rolled down the windows without problems
3 got in and turned the key
4 no start... almost as if the battery died
5 tried to jump it... nothing
6 pushed it down a small hill and popped the clutch
7 ran perfect all the way back to the humble abode
8 turned it off... tried to restart it... nothing
9 hear the clutch interlock relay clicking
10 clutch switch seems to be working
11 starter and solenoid tested good
12 battery passed voltage and load test

Can't figure out what the problem is. Clutch interlock relay, alarm module? Anyone have this trouble?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM

If your clutch interlock relay is engaging than your alarm system and interlock switch are fine. Could be 1) ignition switch 2) interlock relay contacts (pull the relay and check it). 3) Positive battery connection to starter. 4) Starter grounding. 5) Starter is defective. Somes uggest tappiing it with a hammer to perhaps free stuck starter selinoid.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check your ignition switch. I replaced a starter on my 96, and also needed this small part. goes on the opposite side of the key, and is a plastic piece that actually makes the electrical connection.

Courtesy has it for cheap, and it is a really easy fix.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM

If you measure 12VDC (to ground) at Black with yellow stripe wire at starter with ignition switch on and clutch depressed then ignition switch and interlock relay are OK. If not, one of those items is probably at fault.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM

It probably doesn't think that its in park. Some relay or switch stuck?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll have to diag the ignition switch and clutch interlock relay.

The starter itself is functioning properly. Solenoid kicks the drive out to end of housing, drive turns with plenty of torque. All connections were tight and no corrosion on the terminals or wires.

I guess I'm back to getting the multimeter out and ringing out the front end of the starting system.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by CaptainFill
Sorry. Forgot to mention M/T.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Hammy

Originally Posted by nelledge
6 pushed it down a small hill and popped the clutch
Originally Posted by CaptainFill

Are you Serious?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Sounds similar to my problem except i have an auto trans. Works like a charm most of the time then turn the key and only a click sound from the starter. Have to turn the key anywhere from 3-10 times before it will finally start. Then it might start 10-20 times with no problems, then all of a sudden without warning the no start problem. Some say starter, others relays or grounds.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Hammy

^I say Ignition.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Update: Clutch switch tested good. Ignition switch is giving power to the ignition relay at the 'Start' position. Still no luck.

Last edited by nelledge; 03-13-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I still need help. After further investigation, I have found that power is making it to the starter solenoid from the ignition in the 'start' position. The drive is kicking out, lightly audible. However, the drive is not turning. I had the starter bench tested on a computerized machine at a local parts store. Could they have connected their test wire incorrectly, or is there something I'm missing?

BTW: 12.4V with a multimeter lead at the positive battery cable on starter solenoid and other lead at the ground cable on engine block.

I'm so frustrated!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 PM

I feel ya nelledge, Im having a similar issue with mine. I can't figure if it's my ignition switch or the starter itself.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 AM

ignition problems
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Snypa
ignition problems
Care to elaborate based on what I have diagnosed up to this point?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM

The ignition switch does not determine how much power is getting to the starter. It only activates the start circuit. Try grounding the starter, there are plenty of posts about the subject. Just run a ground wire from the starter body to the trans or frame of the Maxima I'm not certain this will fix your problem but it is worth a try. Do you have a remote starter or after market alarm like the other poster having starting problems?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 AM

i had this problem as well not to long ago.
i have an auto but that just so you know.

for me it turned out to be the 120a fusible link.
now id imagine you checked your fuses already but if not be sure that this is the first one to check.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Nopike
Try grounding the starter... I'm not certain this will fix your problem but it is worth a try. Do you have a remote starter or after market alarm like the other poster having starting problems?
Ignition gives low current power to solenoid. Solenoid kicks out drive gear and connects the circuit in the starter to allow high current for motor. This information is what I'm basing my belief that the parts store erred when testing it. Any reason to disagree with that assumption?

Grounded starter. No luck. Taking it out to bench test it myself with a battery charger.

No aftermarket electronics.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=nelledge;6299906]Ignition gives low current power to solenoid. Solenoid kicks out drive gear and connects the circuit in the starter to allow high current for motor. This information is what I'm basing my belief that the parts store erred when testing it. Any reason to disagree with that assumption?

Grounded starter. No luck. Taking it out to bench test it myself with a battery charger.

You are correct. You may consider having someone else test it. Can you get a new starter and install it, if it does not fix your problem, return it? Sometimes it just hard to tell what causes a problem, especially if it is intermittent. You just have to start eliminating possible causes one by one. Good luck, let us know how you do.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Car is starting. Finally.

To those who would like to know why:
Took it to another parts store with a computerized bench tester. Passed. Took it to a NAPA(which I should have done in the first place by experience) which bench tested it manually. Hesitation to signal... then it ran fine. Bottom line=brushes worn. I had tapped the starter several times with no result, previously. Bought a new starter, slapped it in, cranked it, Eureka!!!

Thank you for all that helped to brainstorm with me.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM

Took it to another parts store with a computerized bench tester. Passed. Took it to a NAPA(which I should have done in the first place by experience) which bench tested it manually. Hesitation to signal... then it ran fine. Bottom line=brushes worn. I had tapped the starter several times with no result, previously. Bought a new starter, slapped it in, cranked it, Eureka!!!

Glad you got it working. I was going to suggest the starter also since I'm having the exact same problem. The last time it started I had to tap the **** out of it while my bro started it. I'll be replacing it tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hammy
^I say Ignition.
Did you ever get yours fixed?

Its seems many of us has had the same starting issues but have had differences in the causes. It makes it harder to remediate the problem. I'm going through the same thing wit my 95 auto, i just replaced the starter wit a remanufactured one, but sometimes have to try about 3 times for it to start, then it starts up fine afterwards. i recently just bought a new crankshaft position sensor (ref) to help a lil.

I agree some ppl say different things but after replacing parts and having the same problem, im beginning to think ignition.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Hammy

Originally Posted by Spitzberg Beast
Did you ever get yours fixed?

Its seems many of us has had the same starting issues but have had differences in the causes. It makes it harder to remediate the problem. I'm going through the same thing wit my 95 auto, i just replaced the starter wit a remanufactured one, but sometimes have to try about 3 times for it to start, then it starts up fine afterwards. i recently just bought a new crankshaft position sensor (ref) to help a lil.

I agree some ppl say different things but after replacing parts and having the same problem, im beginning to think ignition.
That was a long time ago but,

To Be Honest with you I changed alot on my car to make it the way it is.

Here I what I thought I did to fix each problem

Hard Start: Grounded the Starter and NEVER ever again have I had an issuie with it.

Stalling on or at idle: it was a tossup between the maf and the fuel filter. ( i replaced them both at the same time.)

But i also replaced all the spark plugs, PVC valve, the sensors (crankshaft (both) and the other on the left side of the car) etc.

So in fact I really don't know what fixed it since I changed it all.

Last edited by Hammy; 03-15-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
The Golden One

I didn't read all the posts but I'm definitely going to say it's your ignition switch.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hammy
That was a long time ago but,

To Be Honest with you I changed alot on my car to make it the way it is.

Here I what I thought I did to fix each problem

Hard Start: Grounded the Starter and NEVER ever again have I had an issuie with it.

Stalling on or at idle: it was a tossup between the maf and the fuel filter. ( i replaced them both at the same time.)

But i also replaced all the spark plugs, PVC valve, the sensors (crankshaft (both) and the other on the left side of the car) etc.

So in fact I really don't know what fixed it since I changed it all.
Don't mean to jack the thread but. . .
Im kinda knew to the car lingo, what do you mean by grounded the starter?

i got my starter replaced, new spark plugs, pvc valve and a new crankshaft position sensor (ref), my car seems like it wants to stall on or at idle, i know i need a camshaft sensor or circuit. you think that could be my problem?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Kevlo for President

For those of you who can't read.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
For those of you who can't read.
Thank you, Kevlo. It seems to me that, although I appreciate the effort, people have become more and more lax about their reading comprehension. It would be a lot easier to decipher what is happening within a thread if everyone took the time to read the posts, and no one answered without fully understanding what was being written.

To clarify:
I had no turning of the starter. It turned out to be the starter, after hours of diag caused by relying on a parts store to bench test it.

There were a few posts that addressed a hard start, which was not the issue. Had clarification been made, this miscommunication could have been avoided. I apologize for my tone, but this reading comprehension issue seems to grow more and more with each post. For the sake of everyone on the .org, I beg you(everyone) to please read.