4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission dripping. With PICs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM

on my last trans that broke, i had a bad axle seal. well it was no biggie since i would just top it off every once in a while and i thought i'll get around to it when i break the axle again but the one week i forgot to add some, i was doing some highway pulls and BAM the trans seized on me in the middle of the highway. that was fun. a 10 dollar part ended up costing me 500+.

Originally Posted by MAXecutive
Interesting thread. I too have the same type of leak. When I changed my axles during the summer I notice a wet spot of oil where the auto transmission meets the engine. Someone mentioned RMS as well as crank seal, I was under the impression they both are the same. I doubt that I have that black flywheel inspection plate since the car is auto, so how can I see if its the RMS or not?

I will be doing a 5spd swap in the spring, so I would like to know which seal I need to purchase. Any writeup on changing it? Where exactly is this? between crankshaft and flywheel?
rear main seal is the big seal behind the flywheel where the crank is.its simple to do and since you're doing the 5spd conversion you'll be in there already so might as well do it. Lue told me to come up there and lend a hand in the spring lol
Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Interesting thread. I too have the same type of leak. When I changed my axles during the summer I notice a wet spot of oil where the auto transmission meets the engine. Someone mentioned RMS as well as crank seal, I was under the impression they both are the same. I doubt that I have that black flywheel inspection plate since the car is auto, so how can I see if its the RMS or not?

I will be doing a 5spd swap in the spring, so I would like to know which seal I need to purchase. Any writeup on changing it? Where exactly is this? between crankshaft and flywheel?
You still have the inspection cover, otherwise you'd never be able to get to the flexplate-torque converter bolts.

Generally when you hear 'crank seal', it's referring to the front seal, where the crank snout comes through the timing cover or block.

Likely it isn't the RMS, but the half moon seal on the oil pan.

Originally Posted by emdot
rear main seal is the big seal behind the flywheel where the crank is.its simple to do and since you're doing the 5spd conversion you'll be in there already so might as well do it. Lue told me to come up there and lend a hand in the spring lol
It's slightly less than simple to do while the trans is off, as you have to support the engine while dropping the upper oil pan to replace the seal (properly). Replace it without dropping the upper pan and you're asking for a bigger leak.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 PM

good point. i'm mechanically inclined so i do say simple a lot since,well, simple for me lol but yeah you're right its still no walk in the park haha
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by emdot
on my last trans that broke, i had a bad axle seal. well it was no biggie since i would just top it off every once in a while and i thought i'll get around to it when i break the axle again but the one week i forgot to add some, i was doing some highway pulls and BAM the trans seized on me in the middle of the highway. that was fun. a 10 dollar part ended up costing me 500+.

Yea man, I got all my parts already. Just missing a flywheel. I bought a rebuilt vlsd tranny. I have an 00vi too waiting to be installed.

Originally Posted by pmohr
You still have the inspection cover, otherwise you'd never be able to get to the flexplate-torque converter bolts.

Generally when you hear 'crank seal', it's referring to the front seal, where the crank snout comes through the timing cover or block.

Likely it isn't the RMS, but the half moon seal on the oil pan.

It's slightly less than simple to do while the trans is off, as you have to support the engine while dropping the upper oil pan to replace the seal (properly). Replace it without dropping the upper pan and you're asking for a bigger leak.
Now I'm confused. The RMS is a half moon shaped seal that can be changed without dropping the transmission? Is there a diagram online that shows the seal and exactly where it goes?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Now I'm confused. The RMS is a half moon shaped seal that can be changed without dropping the transmission? Is there a diagram online that shows the seal and exactly where it goes?
No, the RMS goes around the crank directly behind the flywheel, as in any other engine. The half moon seal that seals the RMS retainer to the upper oil pan is what leaks, and that's possible to replace without dropping the trans.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM

No, the RMS goes around the crank directly behind the flywheel, as in any other engine. The half moon seal that seals the RMS retainer to the upper oil pan is what leaks, and that's possible to replace without dropping the trans.
So should I be changing both of them since i will have everything apart while doing the swap?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
No more Maximas...

So should I be changing both of them since i will have everything apart while doing the swap?
That's up to you. The RMS rarely leaks, and the oil pan seal usually just barely weeps, so it's up to you whether or not you think it's worth the few hours of work to replace the seals.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM

yeapppp leaking at the front end you are not in need of a rebuilt or a swap my frind sry to be the one to bring bad news
Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM

That's up to you. The RMS rarely leaks, and the oil pan seal usually just barely weeps, so it's up to you whether or not you think it's worth the few hours of work to replace the seals.
Refering to this diagram:

12296M is the RMS. It shouldn't be leaking as you said.

11121+A is the half moon seal and most likely my leak source. Will I need to buy the nissan gasket sealant to install it? Will the old one give me a problem to remove cleanly?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
No more Maximas...

Refering to this diagram:

12296M is the RMS. It shouldn't be leaking as you said.

11121+A is the half moon seal and most likely my leak source. Will I need to buy the nissan gasket sealant to install it? Will the old one give me a problem to remove cleanly?
You can just use regular RTV, doesn't really matter. The old seal should just pull right off.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I have the exact same leak. I thought it was my RMS before I read this.

Pmohr, it sounds like you are saying the rear oil pan seal (half-moon) is a common source of leaking engine oil on these engines, is that correct? I suppose you would have to remove that support that runs from the back to the front of the engine bay to drop the whole pan.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ajm8127
I have the exact same leak. I thought it was my RMS before I read this.

Pmohr, it sounds like you are saying the rear oil pan seal (half-moon) is a common source of leaking engine oil on these engines, is that correct? I suppose you would have to remove that support that runs from the back to the front of the engine bay to drop the whole pan.
I wouldn't say a common leak, no. But if it does seem to be leaking from the RMS, that's where it'll be 90% of the time.

Yes, you have to drop the crossmember to drop the upper pan.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Diagnosing the same leak

I too have the same leak on an auto. I have a pic of my d/s axle seal which is dry so I can rule that out. But take a look at my UDP. If you look at the lower part through the spaces of the UDP, it looks wet. I don't recall seeing that in the past. From this pic, does this mean my upper pan gasket is leaking?

d/s axle seal:
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i..._axle_seal.jpg

UPD:
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...rrent=UDP1.jpg

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM

^^^ mine looks much worse and I don't even care. watch the oil level and that and I don't think you will see any change really. Use of high mileage oil might help you to slow/stop the leak too.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by djipka
^^^ mine looks much worse and I don't even care. watch the oil level and that and I don't think you will see any change really. Use of high mileage oil might help you to slow/stop the leak too.
I wouldn't care too but I just learned that oil leaks ruin bushings (in the process of replacing LCA's). Not sure how long you plan to have your car or if you do your own repairs, but I'm in for the long haul and plan to keep this car as long as I reasonably can, so I'd hate to spend the time replacing bushings only to have the bushing's life get shortened by these oil leaks. Of course the delimma is trying to figure out how much work is involved in fixing these leaks.

Thanks for your thoughts.