4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Core Support Removal pics...

Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Core Support Removal pics...

No type just pics because doing this job completly SUCKS!@ Word of advice for anyone that is thinking of doing this themselves. If you dont have a large arsenal of drill bits, sawzall blades, hammers, chizzles, screwdrivers, and a LARGE can of PB blaster. Do not attempt. Pretty sure you also need great problem solving skills to get around PS cooler, condesor, and radiator if you leave them in the car...

Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM

I paid $700 to have a bodyshop replace mine is September. Would you say it was worth it?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

to be honest personally i dont think its worth money to do any job that i know im capable of doing. Though it wore me out so bad and beat the hell out of my body i know it will pay off in the long run to only buy parts themselvs and never have to worry if somone else rigged something on my car. Or if theres ever a problem in these areas again ive had the experiance to know what im looking at and what its all connected to ect. Like clutch jobs, alot of people pay, ive done 4 and ill be doing my 5th later this week on this car. First time i did it i was a little overwhelmed with all the bolts and keeping things in order but once you complete it feels good knowing you did all the work. This type of stuff also makes you appreciate the car more.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Damn Ryan, that's alot of RUST!!! Being where you are in WI, I can see why. Be sure to undercoat the new support & everything else.

GL with that.

-Geo
Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Wild for Width

Total carnage!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by shortyblu95
to be honest personally i dont think its worth money to do any job that i know im capable of doing. Though it wore me out so bad and beat the hell out of my body i know it will pay off in the long run to only buy parts themselvs and never have to worry if somone else rigged something on my car. Or if theres ever a problem in these areas again ive had the experiance to know what im looking at and what its all connected to ect. Like clutch jobs, alot of people pay, ive done 4 and ill be doing my 5th later this week on this car. First time i did it i was a little overwhelmed with all the bolts and keeping things in order but once you complete it feels good knowing you did all the work. This type of stuff also makes you appreciate the car more.
I understand about the satisfaction about doing something yourself and savin g some $. I guess everyone has their limits. I considered doing it myself but just felt it was too much of a pain. It looks like the worst is over, the install should go better than the removal. Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor

man that looks brutal. no snow/ice/salt for me, thank you.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM

Jesus, what the hell was holding your motor up? Glad to see that you are taking it on yourself and doing it the right way. Where did you get your new core support?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Jesus, what the hell was holding your motor up? Glad to see that you are taking it on yourself and doing it the right way. Where did you get your new core support?
Well the tranny mount, timing side mount and two bolts on the rear of the crossmember/subframe was holding it up hahaha. Got the new core support from worldpartsexpress. There service btw was amazing only $9 for overnight shipping! Part of that had to do with they used a no name curiour "speedy delivery". Got the support itself, new bolts and bushings for the crossmember to bolt up to it with..
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Sold

holy rusted metal Batman.

Looks fairly indepth. Good job with the pictures. Your a lot braver than I am.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM

The way i see it, its only the tip of the iceberg for this weeks work to be done. Yes the removal was VERY involved and time consuming to say the least. however this week i plan on swapping trannys/clutch to get rid of my bad diff bearings in my current trans and autozone clutch kit with 5th gen setup, install an EU, recieving my hotshot headers this week so ill be welding a new o2 bung for the front bank, welding another bung before the catback to use my wideband on, im going to put another resonator on my exhaust, should be purchasing a 00vi this week aswell and i think im going to be picking up a DEK from my local junkyard to #1 take the VI off and have access to all needed parts, and #2 have a spare fresh motor just incase this drag season is not happy with me lol. Finish all that up with a healthy street tune and enjoy. Cant wait til its finally all DONE!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
keep it metal

i need to do my support too - damn winters in MA have not been very friendly to the max!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks like rust owned joo man!!! Have any other issues with rust on the car like that? I've replaced a core support before and it took about 3 hours along with two front fenders too. I can be an involved job especially with rust like that. Good luck to you on the rest of your project.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Been there, done that! Never doing it again...I will buy a new car before attempting that again. Have fun catching all those spot welds.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by alcatranz518
Been there, done that! Never doing it again...I will buy a new car before attempting that again. Have fun catching all those spot welds.
hahaha thanks to your thread you gave me the motivation to try it myself. I would have to agree i will NEVER do this again Also i dont understand how anyone expects you to drill EVERY spot weld out with the places they are without cutting $hit up with a sawzall its just not gonna happen.

there were 24 spot welds per side holding it together 48 total of those little drill bit eating punks

Last edited by shortyblu95; 02-25-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Delvin
Looks like rust owned joo man!!! Have any other issues with rust on the car like that? I've replaced a core support before and it took about 3 hours along with two front fenders too. I can be an involved job especially with rust like that. Good luck to you on the rest of your project.
Your prolly lucky it only took you 3 hours was that on a max aswell? Besides the core support the rest of the underbody is fine. I think it was that bad because the car was ran without splash gaurds in a northern state..
Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 AM

Glad to hear you took on this project by yourself. I agree with the above members; after all that work, don't forget to apply some rust killer to the remaining pitted sections and then undercoat the entire area thoroughly.

Not a service plug, but I am still offering this repair for $225.00 labor if anyone is near the Chicagoland or Western Suburbs. PM me if you need this done. Labor goes up to $250.00 in the spring.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM

Im sure i could just search this and i have some ideas but, whats a good product others have used to coat these pieces?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I did mine over the summer, I feel your pain.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 AM

hahaha thanks to your thread you gave me the motivation to try it myself. I would have to agree i will NEVER do this again Also i dont understand how anyone expects you to drill EVERY spot weld out with the places they are without cutting $hit up with a sawzall its just not gonna happen.

there were 24 spot welds per side holding it together 48 total of those little drill bit eating punks
Sweet. I'm glad my thread was able to help in some way. I figured by now that thread was as good as dust. Glad to hear its coming along well and you got all the spot welds! Stupid things...Nissan put them in the CRAZIEST places!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM

i mainly used it to try and see where you drilled out lol. I saved your pics from car domain and sharpened and zoomed in on them to try and figure it out. Its so confusing when your actually doing it. When you look at the new support you think wow it will be easy to find them, WRONG! there hiding everywhere and if its rusted i pryed until it would get stuck, guess where the weld was a just drill lol. Worked out though thank god
Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 AM

did you spot weld the new one back on?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
wants an I35

holy **** thats a lot of rust.

pictures saved.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 AM

im not done yet, ill be finishing up in a couple hours after work and yes i do have a welder so i will be welding it back on aswell as the exhaust and anything else i mentioned i was doing that invloved welding.

Ill post up pictures of the finished product for sure.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM

im not done yet, ill be finishing up in a couple hours after work and yes i do have a welder so i will be welding it back on aswell as the exhaust and anything else i mentioned i was doing that invloved welding.

Ill post up pictures of the finished product for sure.
nice...ill be driving my max up to you then when mine needs to be done (which is probably now)
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Shortyblu95:

I used several heavy coats of undercoating on several of the cars I did this on. I have also heard about members applying truck bed coating like Herculiner. As for treating the rusted sections you can try rust encapsulator or Evaporust which transforms the rust back to viable clean metal.

Good luck on lining everything up. One spot welding trick you can use is to hold up the new part and mark some spots that will have flat metal in the frame support and then drill several holes in the new support when it is off the car. That way, you won't drill straight through both pieces. Makes welding a lot easier!!

Take care.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM

LOL damn and I though my maxima had it bad.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM

You wouldnt happen to want to write a step by step would you? Or someone in the Evansville tri-state area with this experience that wouldnt mind helping this summer would be great. Plus i thought i had it bad. guess mine is minor compared to this. geez.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM

NISSANMAXIMA91

Hi there:

I am not sure how far Evansville is from Chicago, but if you want this done this summer, send me a PM and we can arrange something.

Thanks and hope I can help you out.

Ted
Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tfvesquire
NISSANMAXIMA91

Hi there:

I am not sure how far Evansville is from Chicago, but if you want this done this summer, send me a PM and we can arrange something.

Ted
you have experience doing this? im in madison wisconsin so im just a couple hours away and i think mine might need work too.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
nice...ill be driving my max up to you then when mine needs to be done (which is probably now)
Originally Posted by NISSANMAXIMA91
You wouldnt happen to want to write a step by step would you? Or someone in the Evansville tri-state area with this experience that wouldnt mind helping this summer would be great. Plus i thought i had it bad. guess mine is minor compared to this. geez.
Originally Posted by Tfvesquire
NISSANMAXIMA91

Hi there:

Ted
you have experience doing this? im in madison wisconsin so im just a couple hours away and i think mine might need work too.

and a business is born
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM

lol Tfvesquire hussles hard i remember his old thread saying he would do it for pay. So will i but i dont want this thread to turn into a who can fix my support. People that search it in the future wont want to dig through stuff like this to find information... I got the new support clamped and bolted in right now awaiting my weld job tomorrow .

The whole reason people dont want to do this is because its a PITA to complete the removal process and shops want a lot of cash because its so much labor. An easy way out is paying somone else to endure the headache.

black maxxed 95 im sure we will meet up at some point in the coming months, maybe we will tackle this project.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Your prolly lucky it only took you 3 hours was that on a max aswell? Besides the core support the rest of the underbody is fine. I think it was that bad because the car was ran without splash gaurds in a northern state..
I had an what you may call an unfair advantage: a lift, welder and plasma cutter, and another friend thats also a tech. It was fun and it was on his maxima not mine and he even spot welded the biznitch back. I feel your pain though and you are right about this not being a task for the novice wrencher.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM

nice

this is a major and common problem in maximas it's #1 on the Must list.
i replaced the whole thing cost me $500 =[
nicely done man
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM

god damm.may the lord have mercy.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Wow mine just has a very small amount of rust nothing much really I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But I guess it doesn't matter cause it's all bent from an accident I have to replace the whole front
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM

The last body shop I went to pretty much blew me off. Im in the same boat but I live a ways away..
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM

I've done 3, takes about 4 to 6 hours depending on how bad things are.

It's not hard to do, just time consuming and a lot of stuff to take apart.

I would rust prep the new OEM stock support before bolting it back on, chances are it will be like that in another 4 years.

Eastwood makes a lot of rust proofing materials for cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Core Support Removal pics...