4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

noisy suspension, could it be due to my struts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

noisy suspension, could it be due to my struts?

So my struts seem to always "grind out" the almost half moon part of the strut mounting insulator when I try to remove or tighten the piston nut(to the point where if I wanna remove it I gotta hold the shaft with a ratchet), anyone else have this problem? I was thinking to cut a small piece of sheet metal and slide it into the straight part where there is a little play, I also got Eibach pro kit with Tokico Illuminas set on 3 all way around. Whats the deal???
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Use an impact gun to tighten up the nut. As long as it's nice and tight, it doesn't matter if the keyway is rounded out.

What noises do you have? Who did your suspension install? Was the upper perch clocked correctly? The biggest issue I see with DIY suspension installs is that nobody gets the upper spring perch clocking correct.

The word OUT is stamped on the top of the upper spring perch. That must face outwards twards the fender or be in line with the struts lower mount flange. If thats not done, the spring doesn't sit right and you will have all kinds of noises from your front end.

Also never hold the struts polished shaft with a tool that can scratch it. A simple scratch can cause the struts seal to fail which will cause it to lose it's charge, leak and completely fail.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Whatchyou say?

dig from the past couple months!

ok .... so what struts did you go with, did you do the install your self or have it done, did you fix the noise, what's up???

i have noise coming from somewhere (front pass side) but ... not sure where
Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Max40

Strut noise

I am having the same problem myself with my rear struts, just replaced stock SE. I had a mechanic do it but I'll be back at my dealer who I have been with for 12 years
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM

same problem here the strut mounts on our cars are cheap n so are stock after market n stock nissan. strut mounts