4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternative ALTERNATOR

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Alternative ALTERNATOR

Hi,

I went to the red line because I was stuck in the snow, and my battery light cames on.

Some times, I disappear for 4-5 sec and my voltage 's stable , around 13.4 volts.

My alternator dont work for the most of the time : voltage under 12.

I want to know, is it the alternator itself or a fuse or a electric problem???

Or, where can I get a good alternator, what are my choices?

(I have a spiral grid battery and a heavy sound system)

Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Startin' Out

If you have a heavy sound system you might want to think about capacitors and then an upgraded alternator. If you go to a alternator shop (not an auto parts store but an acutal shop where they rebuild alternators) you can get one to whatever amp you desire. Just a word to the wise if you go too high you will need an aftermarket voltage regulator to handle the bump.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE
Hi,

I went to the red line because I was stuck in the snow, and my battery light cames on.
The fact that you mention running the engine to red line and being stuck in snow in the same sentence suggests a lot about how you got stuck.

As for upgrading the alternator, I would get a good replacement if yours is bad and get a good battery with a high cold cranking amp rating. Next time you rev the crap out of it when trying to get more stuck, turn down the stereo.

Dave

Last edited by dgeesaman; 12-26-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
The fact that you mention running the engine to red line and being stuck in snow in the same sentence suggests a lot about how you got stuck.

As for upgrading the alternator, I would get a good replacement if yours is bad and get a good battery with a high cold cranking amp rating. Next time you rev the crap out of it when trying to get more stuck, turn down the stereo.

Dave
Mmm, hard to go slow when you have a feet of snow on the road. I want to get a good speed to dont get stock in the middle of the road.

The fact is, the alternator 's old, at 6500 rpm , its not supposed to burn.

By heavy sound systeme, I mean 900 w rms in the total of the amps. So I dont ride with the volume to the max. It was a suggestion, because I want a good alternator.

For my battery, dont worry, I got a 1 year old yellow top, and I never drain it.

So the suggestions? OEM? I guess...

Thanks

Last edited by oVeRdOsE; 12-26-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Consider something with a lifetime warranty. The shop I worked at always bought things from checker. They seam to do rather well and if it ever goes out.... FREE alternator!